Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

Cardozo (28k/year scholly, 132k debt)
39%
Brooklyn (40k/year scholly, 96k debt)
59%
Seton Hall (35k/year scholly, 99k debt)
2%

Total votes: 44

MTBike

Re: Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

Postby MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 am

flem wrote:
MTBike wrote:
bdole2 wrote:
MTBike wrote:
He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.

What shitty logic now?

Ask TTTflemming...

You're making a number of assumptions with that question. Here are why they are not the same and why your logic is terrible.

1) He hadn't maxed out retakes
2) He didn't specifically want to go to Vandy, or Vandy wasn't his dream school (if bro is from the south, it might be)
3) He could do "better" than Vandy. Vandy with $$$$ if you want the south versus say, GULC or UVA at sticker.

Responses:
1) OP specifically said he did not want to sit out this cycle, strongly suggesting he could sit out and retake but he doesn't want to. That eliminates #1.
2) I highly doubt Cardozo, Brooklyn, or SH are anyone's dream school or anyone specifically really wants to go there. They're backup plans for people who want to go to school in NYC but don't have Columbia/NYU/Fordham grades. They don't give a reasonable shot at biglawl like Vandy does, which was one of OP's requirements.
3) Relative, but refer to point two. He could do better by retaking. Retake and Fordham with money would obviously be better, for instance.
4) You are a terrible poaster

And fucking lol@equating going to Vandy with $$$$ to these options brah.

Edit: scooped above me

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings Nancy. Also, I did not equate going to Vandy with these options. Fucking stop inserting fabricated premises into my argument... Are you unable to make a solid enough argument on your own? You are a dumbass. /rant

Edit: I'm probably going to get banned now

flem

Postby flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:25 am

MTBike wrote:

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings Nancy. Also, I did not equate going to Vandy with these options. Fucking stop inserting fabricated premises into my argument... Are you unable to make a solid enough argument on your own? You are a dumbass. /rant

Also, now that homeboy has upped his Dozo scholarship that's a decent option, as previously mentioned. Apologies for the derail.

Edit: looking back on this it derailed quickly. :|

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 am

flem wrote:
MTBike wrote:

Also, now that homeboy has upped his Dozo scholarship that's a decent option, as previously mentioned. Apologies for the derail.

Edit: looking back on this it derailed quickly. :|

OP, go to Dozo.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:31 am

JuniorMint wrote:I'm 162/3.72. I think I did better with than my numbers say I should have because I graduated from a reputable school with a somewhat unique degree (for this particular application process, anyway) that I completed in only three years.

First time I took the LSAT, I took it pretty cold - three or four prep tests and a little studying. Bombed LG and got 162. Second time I studied only for the LG and took like half a dozen prep tests. Aced LG, bombed RC, which was just a complete shock. I never had any problem with that section. Got a 162.

Even if I kill it on a retake, if schools take the average, I'm screwed. And I have like a month and a half to prepare for June. And I CRINGE at the idea of taking another year off.

You should definitely retake. Do comprehensive prep for all three sections. You really shouldn't go until you think you have maxed out your full potential on that exam.

This will sound very cynical, but law schools really do not care how you got a certain score- whether you retook 3 times or did well on the first try. If they can tell USNWR your highest score, they will. It's purely a numbers game.

DTDT

Postby DTDT » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am

LS's give merit scholarships to up their averages. I'm suprised you got a so much money from BLS and Dozo based on that LSAT score. But if you don't bomb a section and score mid to upper 160's you will be adding a lot of options to your list perhaps even Cornell.

Your life. The more I read rad lulz' posts the more I realize he is one of the few that is actually giving good advice. The LSAT is huge don't underestimate the doors it can open. Doubling, tripling or more of the chances of you landing a top job may not be worth it to you but that is the spirit of his advice even if he delivers it with a pledge paddle.

JuniorMint

Postby JuniorMint » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

This is the best case scenario with the options I have:

I suck it up and live at home while going to Cardozo. 216k - 102k in scholarship money - 39k estimated for living in the city = 75k. In addition, I have savings that I can use toward this.

I could retake the LSAT in June. But is 2 months enough time to significantly improve since I've been cold on this stuff for so long? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. If I take it in October I have to sit out another year, which I flat out refuse to do because in reality I have no idea what that score will be. I thought I did well on the last one, and I tanked.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:17 pm

DTDT wrote:LS's give merit scholarships to up their averages. I'm suprised you got a so much money from BLS and Dozo based on that LSAT score. But if you don't bomb a section and score mid to upper 160's you will be adding a lot of options to your list perhaps even Cornell.

Your life. The more I read rad lulz' posts the more I realize he is one of the few that is actually giving good advice. The LSAT is huge don't underestimate the doors it can open. Doubling, tripling or more of the chances of you landing a top job may not be worth it to you but that is the spirit of his advice even if he delivers it with a pledge paddle.

To be clear— I actually agree with rad lulz and others about retaking/deferring if OP can deal with doing that. I simply was just answering the question given the parameters OP gave. I apologize for seeming like I was chiding anyone for good advice. I am simply annoyed when people bash the options that are given because they are not bad, but just not amazing options.

OP, it sounds like you can definitely improve on your LSAT scores... maybe you should reconsider if you can swing it because your GPA is so good and I'm willing to bet that your softs are as well given your success with scholarships. If you decide that you can't retake/defer, that's totally your decision and no one else's since it's based upon your personal circumstances that we cannot possibly understand itt. Either way, I really sincerely doubt any of these options will put you on the bread line. BUT keep in mind that these options are the worse case scenario you're gonna have, and you can only go up from here...

Edit: Saw your post just now... honestly I think ~$75k to attend 'Dozo is really manageable should you decide to go Fall 2012. Would you also live at home if you went to Brooklyn? If so, what are the figures for Brooklyn if you can live at home?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 pm

I thought the full ride to Brooklyn was a defensible option, but damn 40k isn't even a full ride.

OP it sounds like you've got a decent grasp of the different LSAT sections, just haven't gotten it all to click in your first two tries. Deposit at Dozo if you must, then give the June LSAT everything you've got.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

JuniorMint wrote:This is the best case scenario with the options I have:

I suck it up and live at home while going to Cardozo. 216k - 102k in scholarship money - 39k estimated for living in the city = 75k. In addition, I have savings that I can use toward this.

This is pretty not awful if you must go

Tiago Splitter wrote:I thought the full ride to Brooklyn was a defensible option, but damn 40k isn't even a full ride.

OP it sounds like you've got a decent grasp of the different LSAT sections, just haven't gotten it all to click in your first two tries. Deposit at Dozo if you must, then give the June LSAT everything you've got.

Also this. Deposit at Dozo, take LSAT. You're no WORSE off really if you do the same or worse. If you're better they can up you to a full ride or you can eat the deposit and reapply next year.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I thought the full ride to Brooklyn was a defensible option, but damn 40k isn't even a full ride.

Yes. Do this.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 pm

I still would caution OP that you only get one chance to launch your legal career but you can take as many years off and as many retakes as you want. Make sure you do your research on the most frequent outcomes of Cardozo graduates and not just the most optimal ones advertised by the school. If you're comfortable with the average outcomes, then the price is tolerable.

JuniorMint

Postby JuniorMint » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Taking a year off is a hug deal to me. I understand that most people would sacrifice a year for a better shot, and I agree to some degree. If I realistically believed that a new LSAT score could get me into a NY T14, I would be inclined to take another year off. But Columbia and NYU both average scores, so I'd have no shot, and Cornell is in the middle of nowhere, which I strongly dislike. Then there's Fordham, but I just feel like with Fordham as the end-all-be-all in this situation, it's just not really worth a year. You can say that's ridiculous, but as many of you have noted, this decision isn't made in a vacuum; my personal situation/preferences are a part of this, and waiting a year is something I am strongly against.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:59 pm

JuniorMint wrote:If I realistically believed that a new LSAT score could get me into a NY T14, I would be inclined to take another year off. But Columbia and NYU both average scores, so I'd have no shot

Two people posting in this thread got into Columbia and NYU with multiple LSATs which, if averaged, likely would have prevented an acceptance.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 pm

JuniorMint wrote:Taking a year off is a hug deal to me. I understand that most people would sacrifice a year for a better shot, and I agree to some degree. If I realistically believed that a new LSAT score could get me into a NY T14, I would be inclined to take another year off. But Columbia and NYU both average scores, so I'd have no shot, and Cornell is in the middle of nowhere, which I strongly dislike. Then there's Fordham, but I just feel like with Fordham as the end-all-be-all in this situation, it's just not really worth a year. You can say that's ridiculous, but as many of you have noted, this decision isn't made in a vacuum; my personal situation/preferences are a part of this, and waiting a year is something I am strongly against.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Also, you don't necessarily need to go to school in NYC to end up in NYC. Unless you're able to live at home or something.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:21 pm

flem wrote:
JuniorMint wrote:Taking a year off is a hug deal to me. I understand that most people would sacrifice a year for a better shot, and I agree to some degree. If I realistically believed that a new LSAT score could get me into a NY T14, I would be inclined to take another year off. But Columbia and NYU both average scores, so I'd have no shot, and Cornell is in the middle of nowhere, which I strongly dislike. Then there's Fordham, but I just feel like with Fordham as the end-all-be-all in this situation, it's just not really worth a year. You can say that's ridiculous, but as many of you have noted, this decision isn't made in a vacuum; my personal situation/preferences are a part of this, and waiting a year is something I am strongly against.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Also, you don't necessarily need to go to school in NYC to end up in NYC. Unless you're able to live at home or something.

+1

Also, I wouldn't rule out an elite school because of its location.

DTDT

Postby DTDT » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Ok go with BLS, since you don't value waiting for Fordham or better, the difference between Cardozo and BLS is marginal at best, go with the better scholly offer.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

JuniorMint wrote: But Columbia and NYU both average scores, so I'd have no shot.

Just going to point out that this isn't true, at least not in my personal experience. I got into NYU and Columbia this cycle with a 3.7x and an LSAT high of 172 (average in the 160s).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”