Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cardozo (28k/year scholly, 132k debt)
39%
Brooklyn (40k/year scholly, 96k debt)
59%
Seton Hall (35k/year scholly, 99k debt)
2%

Total votes: 44

JuniorMint

Postby JuniorMint » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 am

This is my second post, but deposits are due, and I’m still torn.

One more time:

-I live in New York, and I want to practice here.
-I'm very interested in health law.
-I would like to have at least a remote chance at midlaw/biglaw.
-All scholarships posted above come with doable stips (Dozo – top 80%, BK – top 80%, SH – top 50%).
-I’m riding the waitlists at BU, BC, and Fordham.
-I am not sitting the cycle out.

All your input is, as always, appreciated.

bdole2

Re: Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

Postby bdole2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:33 am

JuniorMint wrote:-I am not sitting the cycle out.

Why not?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:36 am

gahhhhhhhhhhh

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Scratch Seton Hall off your list if you want to stay in NY
Brooklyn & Dozo are equivalent, so take the cheaper option

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:39 pm

dingbat wrote:Scratch Seton Hall off your list if you want to stay in NY
Brooklyn & Dozo are equivalent, so take the cheaper option
Eh I don't know if it's necessary to scratch Seton Hall off the list, I think they place about as well in NYC as Brooklyn (aka not great). Is there any way to negotiate between these schools and at least get the stips removed? Most stips look doable from the outside.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuniorMint

Postby JuniorMint » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

bdole - I've already taken a year off after graduating college, and I'm definitely not willing to sit out another year before I go to law school. While I recognize that it might be a smart decision for someone who thinks they can improve significantly on the LSAT and has something particularly worthwhile/lucrative to do for their year off, I don't think it would be a productive option for me.

quiver - If I'm in the bottom 20% at Brooklyn or Cardozo, I think I have much bigger problems than a scholarship. I'd probably just concede that law school isn't for me.

Can anyone tell me why Seton Hall has such a terrible reputation (especially all over this site)? I mean right now it's my last choice, but I'm just wondering what the deal is.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 am

JuniorMint wrote:bdole - I've already taken a year off after graduating college, and I'm definitely not willing to sit out another year before I go to law school. While I recognize that it might be a smart decision for someone who thinks they can improve significantly on the LSAT and has something particularly worthwhile/lucrative to do for their year off, I don't think it would be a productive option for me.

quiver - If I'm in the bottom 20% at Brooklyn or Cardozo, I think I have much bigger problems than a scholarship. I'd probably just concede that law school isn't for me.

Can anyone tell me why Seton Hall has such a terrible reputation (especially all over this site)? I mean right now it's my last choice, but I'm just wondering what the deal is.

Because conventional wisdom is its extremely difficult to find a job out of that school, or any of these schools, that makes it worthwhile to go to law school in the first place. You could take any old job now and in 3 years you'll be competitive with or probably ahead of where most grads from these three schools will be. Its really just a guessing game as to whether they eventually come out ahead of the non-law school track. Many will not.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 am

JuniorMint wrote:

Super heavily saturated market, notably sleazy dean, super expensive, scholarship section stacking, the fact that a NLJ250 (don't remember which one) firm is right across the street from it and DOESN'T EVEN INTERVIEW AT OCI, etc.

Also this is lol worthy (LinkRemoved)

Just google the school and see what comes up. Not pretty, bruh.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 am

None of those schools provide a very good shot at mid- or biglaw. You've only taken 1 year off. If you have a job and do not get off the waitlists, I would seriously consider taking another year off. Even if you took another year off (maybe apply earlier next cycle if you didn't apply early this year) you would still be at or below the average age for 1Ls.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am

rad lulz wrote:
JuniorMint wrote:bdole - I've already taken a year off after graduating college, and I'm definitely not willing to sit out another year before I go to law school. While I recognize that it might be a smart decision for someone who thinks they can improve significantly on the LSAT and has something particularly worthwhile/lucrative to do for their year off, I don't think it would be a productive option for me.

This is dumb. None of the schools here give you a decent shot at worthwhile/lucrative work.

Wtf are you talking about? Dozo will most certainly give you options at lucrative work.
Last edited by MTBike on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 am

rad lulz wrote:

This is dumb. None of the schools here give you a decent shot at worthwhile/lucrative work.

It's not "dumb" if OP is saying improvement on LSAT is not likely... I don't get why posters like you feel compelled to comment on these topics if you are not going to contribute anything worthwhile. The odds of Big Law / Mid Law from these schools are known, but christ man, read the fucking original post - she needs to pay a deposit in a few days at one of these schools and is looking for advice BETWEEN these schools. if you don't agree with OP's decision, or likewise, have nothing but elitist bullshit to contribute then it's simple... don't fucking comment.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 am

*shrug*

OP wants a "remote chance" at biglaw/midlaw, these schools certainly provide it. I'd go with Dozo out of these choice. SH is out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:50 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:I'd go with Dozo out of these choice.

For 132k? That's only a good decision if your career goal is being an unemployed scamblogger.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 am

TLSwag wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

It's not "dumb" if OP is saying improvement on LSAT is not likely... I don't get why posters like you feel compelled to comment on these topics if you are not going to contribute anything worthwhile. The odds of Big Law / Mid Law from these schools are known, but christ man, read the fucking original post - she needs to pay a deposit in a few days at one of these schools and is looking for advice BETWEEN these schools. if you don't agree with OP's decision, or likewise, have nothing but elitist bullshit to contribute then it's simple... don't fucking comment.

Yes... yes yes yes. Welcome to TLS, though. The elitist capital of the internet.

JuniorMint

Postby JuniorMint » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Last edited by JuniorMint on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm

JuniorMint wrote:I’ve mostly kept my mouth shut on this forum because I am genuinely interested in hearing the input of the TLS community; I think a lot of you have offered me valuable advice thus far. TLSwag has even helped me negotiate for about 78k more scholarship money between my top two choices. I have also become fully aware that the choices I have at the prices I have them are certainly a gamble that should be taken only with careful consideration. I have no misconceptions about the uphill path I have ahead of me.
With that being said, I feel like the only one who has said anything ludicrous so far is rad lulz. It’s absurd to say that NONE of my options provide ANY decent shot at lucrative/worthwhile work. You don’t know me; you have no idea what kind of potential I have or what I consider worthwhile. It’s even more absurd to call this a “life-ruining” endeavor when the only information you have is the name of the school and the price. You assume that everyone you talk to on here is some idiot that hasn’t carefully considered all of their options or that doesn’t have a shot of being one in the minority of students at these schools that does really well for themselves.
It’s really easy to be an asshole behind a computer screen. But the reality is that as soon as I make my decision, I’m going to move on with my life and do the best I can with the options I have, while you’ll still be on here wasting time being a condescending prick rather than focusing on your own future. I feel bad for you.
Oh, and tflem – you’ve provided me with entertainment for the rest of my miserable work day. This is actually hilarious.

Decent/worthwhile is subjective. Your options give you about a 10-15% chance of making six figures or more which is what you need to pay off that much debt.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuniorMint

Postby JuniorMint » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Last edited by JuniorMint on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Ugh, gotta love the TLS elitist rhetoric.

OP has three options, so discuss those three only. Otherwise, you miss the whole point of this thread.

1. Dozo - most debt, best NY prospects of the three. In the end, however, I contend that the additional money spent (including interest) will outweigh any "advantage" gained going here.
2. Brooklyn - better for NYC compared to SH, but not outside of Manhattan. IMHO, their facilities and administration are very meh and I don't think they really enjoy a better overall rep than Seton Hall does.
3. Seton Hall - not perceived as well as the other schools in NYC, but they have a very good Health Law program and the nicest facilities of the three despite being 15 minutes on a PATH train from WTC. My Dad is an executive counsel at Anthem BCBS, and the lawyers there extol the health law program at Seton Hall. Also, after visiting the three, I got the sense that the students were the happiest and most cohesive of the three listed here. I will say that TLS hates on SH, but a lot of the hate comes from previous years (you'll notice the links of all the bad press come from circa 2009). It's been 3-4 years people, you can't rely on how a place used to be perceived during a sharp economic downturn...

You can take it for what it's worth. I voted for Brooklyn because of your absolute preference for NY and the better stips on the scholly, but I don't think you should write off any of them. Did you visit them all? If so, go with the one that feels like the best fit for you. For me, I need good facilities, a strong alumni network and strong student body cohesion... to each their own.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:11 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Ugh, gotta love the TLS elitist rhetoric.

OP has three options, so discuss those three only. Otherwise, you miss the whole point of this thread.

1. Dozo - most debt, best NY prospects of the three. In the end, however, I contend that the additional money spent (including interest) will outweigh any "advantage" gained going here.
2. Brooklyn - better for NYC compared to SH, but not outside of Manhattan. IMHO, their facilities and administration are very meh and I don't think they really enjoy a better overall rep than Seton Hall does.
3. Seton Hall - not perceived as well as the other schools in NYC, but they have a very good Health Law program and the nicest facilities of the three despite being 15 minutes on a PATH train from WTC. My Dad is an executive counsel at Anthem BCBS, and the lawyers there extol the health law program at Seton Hall. Also, after visiting the three, I got the sense that the students were the happiest and most cohesive of the three listed here.

You can take it for what it's worth. I voted for Brooklyn because of your absolute preference for NY, but I don't think you should write off any of them. Did you visit them all? If so, go with the one that feels like the best fit for you. For me, I need good facilities, a strong alumni network and strong student body cohesion... to each their own.

He should write off SH for the horrible stip

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”