Illinois ($$$$) v Wisconsin ($$$$) v Cornell ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Illinois (100k scholarship = 85k debt)
5%
Wisconsin (105k scholarship = 55k debt)
9%
Cornell (75k scholarship = 130k debt)
86%

Total votes: 44

Irish2012

Illinois ($$$$) v Wisconsin ($$$$) v Cornell ($$$)

Postby Irish2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinions on this tough decision. My top priority is to work in Chicago or another large Midwestern city (Milwaukee, Minneapolis, or St. Louis) after I graduate. I have lived in the Chicago area for my entire life but would not mind leaving the area for law school, as long as I get to return to the midwest afterwards. My choices are currently Wisconsin with a $105k scholarship, Illinois with a $100k scholly, and Cornell with $75k. I would eventually like to get into government work/politics, but I would prefer to pay off my loans before I enter the public sphere. Big law is obviously the best way to pay off my debt quickly, so I would not be opposed to it for several years after law school. I know that Illinois probably has the best alumni connections in Chicago, but a degree from Cornell holds a lot of weight in general. I worry about Cornell's placement in Chicago, but I know that my opportunities would be much better with a Cornell degree. The biggest benefit of Wisconsin is that, in comparison, I would graduate with almost no debt. I am not debt averse but am aware of the burden that a large student debt can be after graduation (although I have no undergraduate debt). Thanks

Edit: I also was nominated for a scholly at UW for full tuition, sponsored by a large law firm. It would include a summer associate position at the firm after 1L year and could result in a 2L summer job and possibly job after graduation. If I do get this scholarship, would it change any of your opinions?
Last edited by Irish2012 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkey85

Re: Illinois ($$$$) v Wisconsin ($$$$) v Cornell ($$$)

Postby monkey85 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Irish2012 wrote: I have lived in the Chicago area for my entire life but would not mind leaving the area for law school,

I do not believe that going to Cornell for 3 years will diminish your strong Chicago ties. If you perform well (maybe even "just" decently) at Cornell, there should be no trouble convincing firms during OCI that you want to return "home" to the Chicago office.

As a Chicago native they will love you. The "diversity" that you add by being one of the few Cornell kids in their SA interview schedule should also be a strong plus (I am thinking that they will have their fair share of U.Chicago, Northwestern, Illinois students that your different school will help you).

I vote Cornell.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 pm

If by gov work you mean DoJ/USAO/otheragencies then I'd take Cornell (might have to do a few years of biglaw before moving into that agency).

If by politics you mean running for elected office or helping those who do then uh, not law school?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:09 pm

You got 75k from Cornell and Northwestern isn't an option?

Irish2012

Postby Irish2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Nelson wrote:You got 75k from Cornell and Northwestern isn't an option?

Actually I was shut out of the top 25 other than Cornell (since Illinois is no longer t25). I wrote a couple essays (Why Cornell, diversity) that I exclusively sent to Cornell, but I do not think that they affected my application that much as they were in a similar tone as essays I sent to other schools. Cornell admissions committee just must have seen something that they liked in my app. My numbers are fairly low for a t14, but I have a few softs (illness, URM status).

By government and politics I do mean Department of Justice, USAO, and possibly judge in the future. Clerkship is something I would consider for my first years out of law school.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Irish2012 wrote:

Actually I was shut out of the top 25 other than Cornell (since Illinois is no longer t25). I wrote a couple essays (Why Cornell, diversity) that I exclusively sent to Cornell, but I do not think that they affected my application that much as they were in a similar tone as essays I sent to other schools. Cornell admissions committee just must have seen something that they liked in my app. My numbers are fairly low for a t14, but I have a few softs (illness, URM status).

By government and politics I do mean Department of Justice, USAO, and possibly judge in the future. Clerkship is something I would consider for my first years out of law school.

URM? You need to retake and aim higher (like HYS) for those goals.

Irish2012

Postby Irish2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Nelson wrote:
Irish2012 wrote:

URM? You need to retake and aim higher (like HYS) for those goals.

Yea I considered a retake at first, until I got my scholarship from Cornell. I tested between about 165-170 in the 6 practice tests or so that I took and did score in that range. As of today though, I'd prefer to not do a retake and go to law school next year. Hopefully I will do fairly well at Cornell (if I attend) and will be able to get a clerkship and a solid job to get some ties after graduation

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Cornell is your best option currently; however, if you receive the full tuition scholarship to Wisconsin with the paid biglaw internship, then Wisconsin might be the better choice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:00 am

Cornell.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”