Which Florida law school for Fall 2012? (2)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Florida Law School?

FSU: $45k ladder scholarship ($7500 per semester) 2.8 GPA stipulation
34%
UF: $21k, ($3500 per semester) 2.8 GPA stipulation
57%
Stetson: Full Ride + $2000 per semester stipend (top 50% of class stipulation)
9%

Total votes: 47

Re: Which Florida law school for Fall 2012? (2)

Postby 2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

First of all you have already placed yourself out of IP/Patent law by not majoring in a hard science or engineering so scrap that thought from your mind.

Given your choices I would probably go to UF but I can see the argument for FSU given that you did UG there and are perhaps enjoy Tallahassee.

What would concern me about Stetson is that it was named in the recent round of lawsuits alongside some really really awful schools which doesn't bode well for its reputation. Maybe that is poor reasoning on my part, but it is something that would cause me skepticism.

allbluemagic

Postby allbluemagic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:58 pm

2014 wrote:First of all you have already placed yourself out of IP/Patent law by not majoring in a hard science or engineering so scrap that thought from your mind.

I am aware of this. After some reflection, I concluded that if I could do undergrad over again, I would have went after a degree in engineering. It's not a sticking point for me going to law school though. I would be happy with a position dealing with real estate development, commercial law, or anything in business for that matter. I am also interested in the energy/environmental sectors and have connections in both of those industries so I could go down either of those paths as well.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:57 pm

I lol'ed @ the bitching at the start of this thread. Yes, 25% reporting = the medians are irrelevant. People with high salaries report, people with low salaries or unemployed dont. If you don't get this concept you are definitely a rookie 0L who knows littl about the law school game. Thanks for playing, try again next time.

With all that said, unless you want biglaw and have absolutely zero interested in everything else, I would go to Stetson. I think UF and FSU are vastly superior schools, but a full ride + stipend basically insures that you'll be fine whether you do or do not get a job. If you don't meet the top 50% requirement to keep the scholarship you need to be dropping out anyway cause below median at any of these 3 schools will lead to a Starbucks job. Good grades at Stetson will get you a job, bad grades at Stetson will at least leave you with no debt, the same cant be said for the other two. Take it from a 2L, debt matters way way more than 0L's think it does. Seriously.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”