FSU vs UF vs Emory vs Washington and Lee

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you pick

FSU(in-state)
23%
UF (in-state)
48%
Emory(sticker)
13%
Washington and Lee(sticker)
16%

Total votes: 31

noleknight16

FSU vs UF vs Emory vs Washington and Lee

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Goals of mid-larger private practice in the southeast (ATL or Florida), but wouldn't mind as far north as DC. As for my in-state options, I much prefer FSU over UF, but want to do private practice. FSU's private practice tends to be in 2-10 person firms (40-45% of law firm jobs for FSU vs 15-20% UF) so that's kind of scaring me a bit. Emory seems like a safer choice for my goals, but is extremely expensive.

*no retakes left

Bronck

Re: FSU vs UF vs Emory vs Washington and Lee

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm

You're from Florida and want Florida, so it should come down to FSU and UF.

I don't know much about the FSU v. UF debate, but IIRC UF seems to have a better name. Do a search (http://www.top-law-schools.com/search-f ... x=0&sa.y=0), it seems like they have pretty comparable job prospects. In fact, there's a thread on this page with the same dilemma. Seems like FSU is TCR if you like it a lot better.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Best option is probably retake. Got any of those left?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:Best option is probably retake. Got any of those left?

Unfortunately, no.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Best option is probably retake. Got any of those left?

Unfortunately, no.

UF then.

I'd prefer FSU; it's petty but I grew up a huge FSU sports fan. Are the alumni network and private practice opportunities at UF that much better? If it's really a big difference I don't mind going to UF then.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:Hard to say, but my general rule of thumb is that unless there's money involved or you want to do some state govt. shit, UF is usually TCR, though it's close. Lots of 50 yr old dudes and above still think UF is "better" in some sort of nebulous fashion.

True. I can picture some 50 years old bullgator hiring partner choosing UF grads over FSU grads just cause he can.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 pm

UF. I hate the gators and am a FSU grad, but UF is considered better for some reason and thats just the way it is

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 am

It would be nice if the people voting FSU and W&L would speak up on why.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:00 am

rad lulz wrote:Hard to say, but my general rule of thumb is that unless there's money involved or you want to do some state govt. shit, UF is usually TCR, though it's close. Lots of 50 yr old dudes and above still think UF is "better" in some sort of nebulous fashion.

As someone also from Florida, this.

loklamora

Postby loklamora » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am

If OP wanted to practice in SE and paid 25k a year for Emory (including col) versus in state from UF/FSU what do yall think would be the better option?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 am

loklamora wrote:If OP wanted to practice in SE and paid 25k a year for Emory (including col) versus in state from UF/FSU what do yall think would be the better option?

Well yeah, herp derpington.

loklamora

Postby loklamora » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 am

Well Silly Gilly, let me narrow the query. If OP wanted to work in Florida how do Emory grads match up against UF? Is the difference substantial?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

loklamora wrote:Well Silly Gilly, let me narrow the query. If OP wanted to work in Florida how do Emory grads match up against UF? Is the difference substantial?

My understanding is Emory grads who have high grades dominate big firms in FL. I'm guessing it just has zero votes in my poll because it's a full price COA.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

loklamora wrote:Well Silly Gilly, let me narrow the query. If OP wanted to work in Florida how do Emory grads match up against UF? Is the difference substantial?

You said SE, not FL.

It depends on a lot. Do you have existing ties for FL? If yes, Emory could probably get you there, but lacks the prestige of stronger regional powerhouse schools (eg, Vanderbilt) so FL firms are likely to have preference to UF grads. If you specifically want Florida (and don't have ties, I guess) and can't go T14/Vandy I'd probably go to UF.

Emory gives you a greater amount of mobility around the SE than UF would. If you want Florida specifically I'd say it's probably a coin toss if the COA is equal.

25k/yr total COA at Emory is pretty awesome though.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 am

noleknight16 wrote:

My understanding is Emory grads who have high grades dominate big firms in FL. I'm guessing it just has zero votes in my poll because it's a full price COA.

I wouldn't use the term dominate, honestly. I'm sure they are there, but it's not like going to Emory guarantees you good FL work.

And full Emory COA is scary as shit to me.

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 am

I believe you should decide which school you can see yourself at; FSU has closed the Gap with UF. I really enjoyed ASD at FSU and was very impressed with the facility and facilities (courthouse) and the students generally seem friendly and that they enjoy Law School. I haven’t been to ASD at UF (Friday) but I visited during a preview day in the fall and the students I met with seemed pleasant and to enjoy themselves, not quite as bubbly as FSU, but then neither am I.

Personally I decided on UF, even though I am a FSU Alumni for the following reasons:

* Access to both Alumni networks (UF Law is undoubtedly bigger) I feel that I could go into an interview with an FSU Grad and at least have some connection that many of my fellow UF Law Students might not. Where had I returned to FSU, I would have no connection to UF Alumni.

* I enjoyed my time in undergrad but I did not want to relocate back to Tallahassee (Been There, Done That)

* Gainesville is just an hour away from home

* UF offered me a generous Need Based Grant

Pick the school YOU feel comfortable at, I don’t believe the difference, while there is one, is worth going to your second choice over your first and being miserable or second guessing your decision. Trust your gut. If you want FSU, GO NOLES! If not I’ll see you in Gainesville and we can wear Garnet and Gold together… Good Luck with your decision.

loklamora

Postby loklamora » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Fleming.

Sorry I am kind of hijacking the thread but I'd appreciate advice on my specific scenario. I'm from Florida where both my parents are practicing attorneys. I am interested in practicing in the North East but I like Fl and Atl alot plus I am more concerned with minimal debt and job prospects than picking a school based on location. I have half a scholly at Emory and my parents are going to help me alot with col. For me its really between Emory, UF, Dozo full no stips, Wash U 75k (tho I think thats out) and Fordham 30k.

I just want a good mix between quality of education/degree, job opps and minimal debt. This decision is keeping me up at night.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:35 am

loklamora wrote:Thanks Fleming.

Sorry I am kind of hijacking the thread but I'd appreciate advice on my specific scenario. I'm from Florida where both my parents are practicing attorneys. I am interested in practicing in the North East but I like Fl and Atl alot plus I am more concerned with minimal debt and job prospects than picking a school based on location. I have half a scholly at Emory and my parents are going to help me alot with col. For me its really between Emory, UF, Dozo full no stips, Wash U 75k (tho I think thats out) and Fordham 30k.

I just want a good mix between quality of education/degree, job opps and minimal debt. This decision is keeping me up at night.

Given this information, go to UF or Emory, whichever is cheaper. Dozo with no stips would be fine if you wanted NYC I guess, Fordham would be stupidly expensive with the other options on the table unless you REALLY wanted to roll the dice on NYC biglawl.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

shameless bump. hoping to hear from more FSU voters

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Visit FSU and UF and go where you'll be happiest.

Alexdw85

Postby Alexdw85 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:28 am

Hey, FSU 2L here and I guess Ill try and give you some advice.

As far as UF vs FSU, I think UF has the better alumni network and therefore it is prob a little easier to find a gig once coming out of law school. I am a UF undergrad alumni and Ive been told I can network with both schools when i leave (I dont know how much I believe that it will actually matter to a UF Law Alumni that I went there for Undergrad or that it works vice versa for FSU and UF).

But if you want a reason of why some people would choose FSU over UF, Ill try and give you a possible breakdown. First, you like Tallahassee better than Gainesville. If you are happy here, then stay here. FSU and UF place around the same in state. Again, Id give UF an advantage for a better alumni network, but at the end of the day UF doesnt place that much better. So your happiness in one place should override the difference between job placements. Second, Tallahassee is a good place to find work. Theres are a lot of government agencies here plus a lot of different law firms too, moreso than Gainesville. Its not that hard to find a gig for the summer or even during the semester, that can enhance your resume for when you leave. Third, we have a good environmental program. This would play no bearing in my decision but we have a lot of people here who turned down T25 schools to come for the environmental program under our professors. I wouldnt have done that, but if you have a passion for Environmental Law, take a look at the faculty and compare it to other Environmental programs.

UF has a larger alumni network, but at the end of the day both schools are placing relatively the same in state. if you are happy in Tallahassee and want to be here for 3 years, then UF's alumni base shouldnt outweigh that unless it is placing much better than FSU, which it isnt.

Thats my synopsis to you of why someone might choose FSU over UF, irregardless of what I would actually do.

Jeffleo7

Postby Jeffleo7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:55 am

Hi,
I'm new here.

I have already paid couple of deposits to save my spot, but can't choose where to go.
- need to decide before 2nd deposit's due.

I want to practice in California, pref Southern CA
My interest is public interest, women's rights, - just want to use the law to help the downtrodden.

My choices are:

Loyola $
U of Miami $$
Michigan State $$$
Emory
UW

What's the best choice for internships & jobs in 2015? -

Thanks

NoleMatt

Postby NoleMatt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 am

Jeffleo7 wrote:Hi,
I'm new here.

I have already paid couple of deposits to save my spot, but can't choose where to go.
- need to decide before 2nd deposit's due.

I want to practice in California, pref Southern CA
My interest is public interest, women's rights, - just want to use the law to help the downtrodden.

My choices are:

Loyola $
U of Miami $$
Michigan State $$$
Emory
UW

What's the best choice for internships & jobs in 2015? -

Thanks

You should probably make your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”