Stetson v Mercer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Stetson or Mercer

Poll ended at Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Stetson
60%
Mercer
40%

Total votes: 10

mwilson37

Stetson v Mercer

Postby mwilson37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Hey guys, still waiting on hearing from my reach schools (GSU and U of Florida), Im getting close to Mercer's deposit date. Does any one have an opinion on which one is better? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rad lulz

Re: Stetson v Mercer

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Your post offers too little relevant information. Are you a Georgia resident ? If so, Georgia State. Otherwise, what are your LSAT & GPA numbers ? Any scholarship offers ? Normally, Stetson & Mercer are not worth sticker (full tuition) price. GSU, however, is a solid value for in-state resident applicants wishing to practice in Georgia.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Im trying to decide between Stetson and Mercer. If I get into Georgia State or University of Florida the point is moot, Ill go to one of those.

My GPA is low and I got a 162 on the lsat.

I am a URM and have a few good softs, Im a combat vet who worked with JAG and recently got a second bachelors with nothing but As.

I got admitted to both Stetson and Mercer and on paper they seem pretty much like the same school. Id be fine working in either Florida or Georgia so the location doesn't really matter and Im a late applicant (probably should have applied later) so I have not gotten my scholarship info as of yet.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:03 pm

1. Its the same for both $10,000 a year and
2. criminal law is my goal I want to work for the government

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:28 pm

mwilson37 wrote:1. Its the same for both $10,000 a year and
2. criminal law is my goal I want to work for the government

You're a URM with a 162 and the best you got was Stetson and Mercer? What kind of URM are you/how low exactly is your GPA? Below a 2?

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:47 pm

pm shawty18ga he is graduating from stetson and is going to the PDs office. Also I think you would have more opportunities along the I-4 corridor at Stetson than whatever mercers home market is? Does mercer do well in Savannah?

If you for whatever reason go to Mercer ask for increase in scholly I got more $$ at mercer than stetson....

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Reapply next year. You can do better.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:50 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:pm shawty18ga he is graduating from stetson and is going to the PDs office. Also I think you would have more opportunities along the I-4 corridor at Stetson than whatever mercers home market is? Does mercer do well in Savannah?

If you for whatever reason go to Mercer ask for increase in scholly I got more $$ at mercer than stetson....

Thanks for the info I appreciate it

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

spleenworship wrote:Reapply next year. You can do better.

Not reapplying I just need to pick a school in case I dont get into my #1 and #2 schools (U of Florida and Georgia State)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 pm

mwilson37 wrote:

Not reapplying I just need to pick a school in case I dont get into my #1 and #2 schools (U of Florida and Georgia State)

And I'm saying that if you don't get into GSU or Florida this year then please, for the love of all that is holy, reapply. URM with a 162 LSAT can do better than Stetson or Mercer. 1 year in order to double your chances of getting a good job is totally worth it. Heck, you might even be able to do better than GSU/Florida depending on what kind of URM you are and what your GPA is.

If you feel you have to pick one (and you don't, and chances are you will regret it if you do) pick Stetson I guess. But seriously, both their JD required employment numbers are poor, at best.

ETA: and I would want to know the GPA of your 1st bachelors. your straight A second bachelors don't mean crap for law school admissions, really.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 pm

spleenworship wrote:
mwilson37 wrote:

And I'm saying that if you don't get into GSU or Florida this year then please, for the love of all that is holy, reapply. URM with a 162 LSAT can do better than Stetson or Mercer. 1 year in order to double your chances of getting a good job is totally worth it. Heck, you might even be able to do better than GSU/Florida depending on what kind of URM you are and what your GPA is.

If you feel you have to pick one (and you don't, and chances are you will regret it if you do) pick Stetson I guess. But seriously, both their JD required employment numbers are poor, at best.

ETA: and I would want to know the GPA of your 1st bachelors. your straight A second bachelors don't mean crap for law school admissions, really.

The first bachelors was over 10 years ago, I think it speaks to the overall message of my application, improvement. With no backup plan I need to get into a law school this year. I appreciate your advise but I gotta get on with the law school plans.

DTDT

Postby DTDT » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 pm

You never have to go to Law School.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 pm

mwilson37 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
mwilson37 wrote:

The first bachelors was over 10 years ago, I think it speaks to the overall message of my application, improvement. With no backup plan I need to get into a law school this year. I appreciate your advise but I gotta get on with the law school plans.

You can lead a horse to water...

Look, dude/dudette, LSAC doesn't calculate your GPA based off both bachelors... ONLY THE FIRST. So knowing what your LSAC GPA is would allow all of us to give better advice.

You don't have to go this year. You could get a job. But I really get the sense that even if it was a million times a better idea to wait a year, you wouldn't listen.

DTDT

Postby DTDT » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Maybe he's joining a different services JAG and needs to get through LS for the 20 years of service rule.

lmjd

Postby lmjd » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:pm shawty18ga he is graduating from stetson and is going to the PDs office. Also I think you would have more opportunities along the I-4 corridor at Stetson than whatever mercers home mar Moreket is? Does mercer do well in Savannah?

I agree. There is more going on in Tampa than Macon. Stetson has quite a few vets, both students and faculty. Cost-of-living is much higher at Stetson than Mercer, but of course you get to enjoy Florida.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 am

For what it's worth I know people that got offered full scholarship to Mercer with 3.0/160 stats. URM should have the same offer I would think.

Mercer is a fine option if it's super cheap and you're fine working in small Georgia markets. You're not getting to Atlanta unless you're top5%.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 am

Hey guys thanks for the help. I ended up not having to make the decision as I got into both Georgia State and U of Florida.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:50 am

If you want Florida, you should have been able to get into either Miami or Florida State, the latter would have been cheaper once you make Florida your main state of residence. Both Miami and Florida State would have much more visibility and connections for Florida legal jobs. In fact, unless your GPA was horrible, you should have had a shot at Florida. Thus, I don't know why your only choices were Stetson or Mercer. However, for what it's worth, Stetson has a pretty good reputation in Tampa-St. Pete. It is also a very student oriented school. I don't know enough about Mercer to comment. If you are going to work in Florida, obviously take Stetson over Mercer.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Someone else said GSU. Its ridiculously cheap and you shouldnt have any problem getting in with some $. Not Mercer.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 pm

taxguy wrote:If you want Florida, you should have been able to get into either Miami or Florida State, the latter would have been cheaper once you make Florida your main state of residence. Both Miami and Florida State would have much more visibility and connections for Florida legal jobs. In fact, unless your GPA was horrible, you should have had a shot at Florida. Thus, I don't know why your only choices were Stetson or Mercer. However, for what it's worth, Stetson has a pretty good reputation in Tampa-St. Pete. It is also a very student oriented school. I don't know enough about Mercer to comment. If you are going to work in Florida, obviously take Stetson over Mercer.

UM is no better than Stetson.....

Return to “Choosing a Law School”