Case Western 32/yr or MSU full ride (or IU for 5/yr) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Do I Go?

MSU Law-Free Ride
43%
Case Western- 32/yr scholarship
50%
IU Bloomington- 5/yr scholarship
7%
Pray GW takes me off the WL
No votes

Total votes: 14

Wooglin1989

New

Case Western 32/yr or MSU full ride (or IU for 5/yr)

Post by Wooglin1989 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm

So right now, I'm looking at Case Western for 32,000 a year which means I'll pay roughly 10,000 a year in tuition. MSU gave me a full ride and the cost of living in East Lansing / Cleveland is surprisingly comparable. IU Bloomington is better ranked but is only giving me 5,000 a year, which even by modest estimates would cost me 60,000 a year including the cost of living. The stipulations on the scholarships are very generous.

I want to do so some sort of public interest law for the first year or two out of law school. I think it'd be interesting to get some experience as an ADA or something similar. That being said, torts and IP interest me, and I'd eventually like to end up in Southwestern PA where I grew up.

I currently have no outstanding debt from undergrad or anything else.

I've been WL at GW and am currently trying to get off it. ( I really liked the foggy bottom )

Which school do I go to?

Bronck

Gold

Re: Case Western 32/yr or MSU full ride (or IU for 5/yr)

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:16 pm

IUB is automatically off the table because it's placement power is abysmal for that price.

MSU is off the table because it will confine you to Michigan.

I guess Case is your best shot here, but I honestly don't know if it will get you into PA. You'd probably have to be happy with the prospect of being in Ohio.

Where do you have ties?

Wooglin1989

New

Post by Wooglin1989 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I have strong ties in the Pittsburgh region. I got into Pitt for half but I honestly don't want to go to law school here. I went to high school nearby, and did my undergrad in the area, I'd like to move away for a few years and come back, so I took them off the table.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Right now I am leaning toward Case Western. Would getting off the Waitlist at GW change your position?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Wooglin1989 wrote:I have strong ties in the Pittsburgh region. I got into Pitt for half but I honestly don't want to go to law school here. I went to high school nearby, and did my undergrad in the area, I'd like to move away for a few years and come back, so I took them off the table.
Why would you do this? Go to the regional school in the region you want to practice in. Pitt is the best of your options.
Wooglin1989 wrote:I'm inclined to agree with you. Right now I am leaning toward Case Western. Would getting off the Waitlist at GW change your position?
No. GW sticker is a terrible idea.

Wooglin1989

New

Post by Wooglin1989 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Why would you do this? Go to the regional school in the region you want to practice in. Pitt is the best of your options.
Well Pitt comes out to about $18,000 more expensive in total than Case does. I eventually want to practice in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, but I'd like to experience living/working in another city. I know a few dumb*sses who got into Pitt or are at Pitt Law currently, and just mentally, I don't think if I can handle knowing we ended up at the same school.

Lol that's not really a determining factor, but I do feel like I'll regret never having lived somewhere else because more likely than not, if I go to Pitt Law I'll start and end my legal career in Pittsburgh. I don't want to kick myself down the line for not having tried out a new place.

Hence I was looking at MSU and Case more seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Wooglin1989 wrote:I have strong ties in the Pittsburgh region. I got into Pitt for half but I honestly don't want to go to law school here. I went to high school nearby, and did my undergrad in the area, I'd like to move away for a few years and come back, so I took them off the table.
Your not at W & J are just curious

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Wooglin1989 wrote:So right now, I'm looking at Case Western for 32,000 a year which means I'll pay roughly 10,000 a year in tuition. MSU gave me a full ride and the cost of living in East Lansing / Cleveland is surprisingly comparable. IU Bloomington is better ranked but is only giving me 5,000 a year, which even by modest estimates would cost me 60,000 a year including the cost of living. The stipulations on the scholarships are very generous.

I want to do so some sort of public interest law for the first year or two out of law school. I think it'd be interesting to get some experience as an ADA or something similar. That being said, torts and IP interest me, and I'd eventually like to end up in Southwestern PA where I grew up.

I currently have no outstanding debt from undergrad or anything else.

I've been WL at GW and am currently trying to get off it. ( I really liked the foggy bottom )

Which school do I go to?
im guessing you are a splitter? high GPA low LSAT?

I would retake and attend a better school. Even at almost a full ride, there is a high chance 80-90% chance that you will graduate and be disappointed with Case. Even public interest jobs are extremely competitive.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:58 pm

^ Given the CWRU admissions strategy, it's more likely he's a high LSAT/low GPA splitter, but if I'm wrong, you have a point, of course.

If you're deciding solely based on those schools, I'd actually say you want Case, because it does place decently into PA and a number of people in my class are from Pittsburgh/nearby. But FYI, you'll pay about 12k your first year (I strongly assume tuition will go up?), and if trends hold, 14-15 your next two years, just so you have your numbers right. COL is pretty low...

What about Pitt/PSU?

So you're looking at:

CWRU: 30k + COL (low)
MSU: COL (low)
IU: 125k + COL (who knew IU cost the same as GW?)
GWU: 140k + COL (high-ish)

IU seems like it shouldn't even be on your radar. MSU, you'd have to be ready to practice in Michigan. Case, like I said, some in PA, but it's 50% Ohio placement. GW - You've got to consider it if you get in, given the huge gap in placement between it and Case. The 110k in loans might not be as big a deal if you're absolutely doing PI. I was in a very similar position to you when I applied and went with Case, but I was positively unwilling to do 100k+ in loans and am from Ohio and am fine with working here, so it was a little easier for me. Feel free to msg me if you have any Case questions. FWIW, I'm fairly satisfied with Case, but the gap in interview potential between Case and somewhere like GW is enormous.

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Wooglin1989 wrote:
Well Pitt comes out to about $18,000 more expensive in total than Case does. I eventually want to practice in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, but I'd like to experience living/working in another city. I know a few dumb*sses who got into Pitt or are at Pitt Law currently, and just mentally, I don't think if I can handle knowing we ended up at the same school.

Lol that's not really a determining factor, but I do feel like I'll regret never having lived somewhere else because more likely than not, if I go to Pitt Law I'll start and end my legal career in Pittsburgh. I don't want to kick myself down the line for not having tried out a new place.

I am from PGH, lived and went to college in Cleveland, and if you really just want to "try a new place out," why on earth would you pick Cleveland? I absolutely hated it. High crime rate around Case, a lot of poverty and unemployment, Cleveland is dirty, there aren't really any parks like in PGH...it's also one of the most miserable cities in the US. If you just want to move somewhere else, at least pick a good, fun, happy city. I hated Cleveland and am loved moving back to PGH, and will be going to Pitt.

Why not look at TT in cool cities? Chicago, NOLA, DC, CA, etc etc. None of my PGH friends liked Cleveland. Think twice before moving to one of the most liveable cities to one of the most miserable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Wooglin1989 wrote:

Wait, what? You want to go to school where you want to practice, unless it totally doesn't make sense. There are plenty of infuriatingly dumb people at CWRU as well. If you want to go somewhere else, Case is the only school you mentioned other than Pitt that makes sense, but shouldn't you just go to Pitt? 18k is...not a big difference. I think Cleveland is improving by rapid strides, but if you prefer Pittsburgh, that's all that matters for your decision process.

Either way, forget MSU.

Wooglin1989

New

Post by Wooglin1989 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm

im guessing you are a splitter? high GPA low LSAT?
That is correct, Well low comparatively speaking. I scored in the low 160s but have a Gpa at exceeds a 3.8.... I don't know if I could sit out a year, I want to get on with my life. I've scored as high as 168 on practice exams but I've also scored as low as 155, I'm either on my game or I'm not. I don't know if sitting out a year is worth risking that I have an "on" day.

So I am what you would call a splitter, my Gpa is usually in the 75th percentile plus and my LSAT at the median or 25th minus.
Case is the only school you mentioned other than Pitt that makes sense, but shouldn't you just go to Pitt? 18k is...not a big difference
Well, I just got a bad vibe from Pitt and I can't even really tell you why. The advice on this board parallels some of the advice I got from close friends. I may give Pittsburgh another look. I sent in my first seat deposit so I'm good there until June.
why on earth would you pick Cleveland? I absolutely hated it
Well originally I picked FSU but the school didn't offer up any scholarship money and there is no way I'm paying sticker. Same thing for George Mason. Case gave me a really good scholarship, it might not be a better city than Pittsburgh but at least it's something different for a change. MSU could be fun as well but probably not the best career choice.

I really do appreciate the advice, I am lost in trying to make a good forecast. My bachelors is in economics, I can usually make very cohesive risk adverse decisions, but when there is so much riding on a single decision, the opportunity cost is absolutely life changing...

How stuck am I really going to be trying to move back in to Pittsburgh if I leave? I already have some pretty solid connections in the area, are those really going to go away because I went to Case? Will Pitt lawyers shunn me?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Best options:

1) Retake and reapply

2) Go to Pitt
3) Go to Case Western

Seriously retake. TLS is FULL of examples of people who were in your exact same shoes and retook and did better. A better LSAT would change your life; better schools, bigger scholarships, and better job prospects. This is probably the biggest investment you'll ever make, because it will to a large degree dictate your earning power and career path. You owe it to yourself to retake and put yourself in the best position for success.

And FWIW, I've never met a single person who wishes they had gone straight from college to law school. On the other hand, I've met tons of people who regret not taking time of. You will not regret it if you take a year off to retake and reapply for a better school. It is just one year of your life, and you really would be hurting yourself by not doing it.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Please retake. Sitting out a year will be worth it.

Whatever you do, don't go to GWU at sticker, that is financial suicide.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 am

just take in june. If you do much better, reapply. If you don't, then go to Pitt or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”