Southern Public Law School Decision Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jamrclap

New

Southern Public Law School Decision

Post by jamrclap » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Any insight would be very helpful, as I'm sure with everyone, else decisions have to be made soon....

In at Seattle w/ $8,000 but price tag still too high for that size of market with serious competition from Washington grads so looks like I'm striking this one and staying in the south. Not a T14 or 30 school so why pay that much?

Have to decide between Ole Miss and Memphis. I've already made an exit from my previous line of work and have to make one of these two work.

Tuition: In state at Memphis now and can get in state at Ole Miss after first year which brings the total cost to roughly $45k-$50k for both. It's a wash.

Practice location: Don't want to stay in MS and would prefer not to stay in Memphis long term. Would be very happy in Nashville (Most likely to be the easiest move afterward) , Birmingham, Chattanooga, or Atlanta. However I have great legal and political ties in Memphis.

Practice Interests: Commercial law, Economic Development, Lobbying, possibly D.A.'s office

Thought's much appreciated, good luck to everyone still agonizing over decisions.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Southern Public Law School Decision

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Go to Memphis. Though it doesn't have a ton of reach outside Memphis.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Bro, NONE of these schools are going to take you anywhere far from where they're located. None will get you to Atlanta or Birmingham. Nashville is small, insular, and Vandy/TN kids are first and second in the pecking order. I don't know if Chattanooga has any sort of sizable legal market.

Ole Miss is basically the only game in town (Mississippi College doesn't count). I don't know about the strength of the economy there (I'm guessing shitty) though.

Given your Memphis ties, Memphis makes the most sense (you're in state, right? At least it's really cheap) if you have to go this year, but you need to be prepared to stay in Memphis long term. Given the fact that it doesn't sound like you're OK with that, you may want to consider retaking.

What was your GPA/LSAT and what is the total cost of attendance at each?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:36 pm

tfleming09 wrote: Ole Miss is basically the only game in town (Mississippi College doesn't count). I don't know about the strength of the economy there (I'm guessing shitty) though.
Yup. Few jobs, really insular market, established connections to people in MS are all but a necessity.

jamrclap

New

Post by jamrclap » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm

3.18 and 158 on 2nd try with prep (10 pt jump)

$47,130 at Memphis and $47,278 at Ole Miss (2L and 3L at in state price) Will be married and wife will be working so loans will basically be for just tuition and books

From what I understand most Vandy grads look outside of state so UTK is only serious competition in Nashville.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm

jamrclap wrote:3.18 and 158 on 2nd try with prep (10 pt jump)

$47,130 at Memphis and $47,278 at Ole Miss (2L and 3L at in state price) Will be married and wife will be working so loans will basically be for just tuition and books

From what I understand most Vandy grads look outside of state so UTK is only serious competition in Nashville.
I'd max that 3rd retake, honestly. I have a worse GPA and a higher lsat and I have better options with $$$

I know it's discouraging but it's the right choice if you don't want to stay in Memphis.

Those numbers don't include living expenses, right? So you're looking at $100K each place? Not worth it brah.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm

I personally think you should retake. Southern markets are really tough right now. If you can get to a 165, you will get $ at UGA for 1L and in-state 2L/3L. That'd give you a fighting chance at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”