Arkansas Vs. Denver Vs. DePaul

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jeanster

Re: Arkansas Vs. Denver Vs. DePaul

Postby jeanster » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 pm

If you don't want to practice in Arkansas, then don't go to Arkansas. If you want to practice in Texas, then go to school in Texas. I know people will tell you of Arkansas grads going to work in Dallas, but I would assume that they did extremely well in school and had some connection to the area.

You obvioulsy have connections to Texas, but it's a stretch to believe that you WILL go well enough in law school to attract employers in another state. I bet you're smart, but that doesn't guarantee that you will do well.

I'm going to AR from out of state, but I WANT to live there. Have for a while. I also have ties to the area and turned down my state school to attend (If you can't tell, I don't plan on moving back). Arkansas is a good school and won't cost you 90K unless you keep Texas residency- closer to 50 K for one out of state year and two in-state (pure tuition). It's a decent deal actually, but don't be dumb about assuming you'll do well and will be able to go back to Texas.

Make the better choice in this situation. Take a year off. Work. Study. Retake and reapply to a Texas school. I would imagine that going to Texas Tech could be a better decision for you (although I wouldn't put Texas Wesleyan in that sentence).

At least you didn't go to Denver at sticker- that could have been a pretty rough decision.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Ark is surely a fine school but I wouldn't go there unless I was ok with the very real possibility of starting my career (3-5 years) in the state of Arkansas. I'm from OK, no destination state either, and I look down on the state of Arkansas. I've heard great things about Fayetteville but I do not think your first job will likely be there. Think... suburbs of Little Rock... Or worse.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Ark is surely a fine school but I wouldn't go there unless I was ok with the very real possibility of starting my career (3-5 years) in the state of Arkansas. I'm from OK, no destination state either, and I look down on the state of Arkansas. I've heard great things about Fayetteville but I do not think your first job will likely be there. Think... suburbs of Little Rock... Or worse.

BigDUIDefenseLaw bruh

On the upside if you were graduating right now you might have a chance at defending Bobby Petrino in the Ozark Chappaquiddick incident. :shock:

Prospecta8571

Postby Prospecta8571 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Samara wrote:Why is retaking and reapplying for Texas schools not an option here?

For me, it comes down to cost. I could go to Tech or UH, but neither gave me money. Arkansas did. I crunched the numbers, and realized that I would save around 60k if I chose Ark over Houston.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Prospecta8571 wrote:
Samara wrote:Why is retaking and reapplying for Texas schools not an option here?

For me, it comes down to cost. I could go to Tech or UH, but neither gave me money. Arkansas did. I crunched the numbers, and realized that I would save around 60k if I chose Ark over Houston.

Ok, that's great. But why is retaking and reapplying for Texas schools not any option here?

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Ark is surely a fine school but I wouldn't go there unless I was ok with the very real possibility of starting my career (3-5 years) in the state of Arkansas. I'm from OK, no destination state either, and I look down on the state of Arkansas. I've heard great things about Fayetteville but I do not think your first job will likely be there. Think... suburbs of Little Rock... Or worse.

Given the geographic location of Fayetteville I think eastern Oklahoma is also an option to start a career but I don't know if that's better than Little Rock or not. Still wouldn't go to Arkansas if I wanted to practice in Texas.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm

90k debt for Arkansas?

Horrible idea. If it was a no debt option you could consider it (which I did, and still said no)

You won't get a job in Texas... Well maybe Texarkana. But unless you are top of your class rule out Houston or Dallas.

How are you going to live and pay off that 90k plus interest making 45k a year?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Oklahoma2014 wrote:

Given the geographic location of Fayetteville I think eastern Oklahoma is also an option to start a career but I don't know if that's better than Little Rock or not. Still wouldn't go to Arkansas if I wanted to practice in Texas.

See but were talking possibilities when we should be talking about best possible outcomes. I mean, are you referring to muskogee? If you are talking as far west as Tulsa, then why doesn't OP go on scholarship to UTulsa?

The point is, why go to law school in an area and then leave that area? With the top 15 or so excepted, your best employment opportunities, by far, are going to be within 100 miles of the front door of your law school.

Going to Ark to get Texas is just a waste of a potentially good network in Arkansas. Retake and apply to UH.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Definitely Arkansas. Didn't Bill Clinton go there?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Definitely Arkansas. Didn't Bill Clinton go there?

Yale. He did provide us with the facts of Jones v. Clinton while he was in Ark, though. Great reading in Torts..

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Oklahoma2014 wrote:

See but were talking possibilities when we should be talking about best possible outcomes. I mean, are you referring to muskogee? If you are talking as far west as Tulsa, then why doesn't OP go on scholarship to UTulsa?

The point is, why go to law school in an area and then leave that area? With the top 15 or so excepted, your best employment opportunities, by far, are going to be within 100 miles of the front door of your law school.

Going to Ark to get Texas is just a waste of a potentially good network in Arkansas. Retake and apply to UH.

I agree. Just mentioning Oklahoma because some may not realize that UofA is just a few miles from the border. The attorneys I spoke with around Tulsa thought very highly of Arkansas, we arent talking but a few miles outside of that 100 mile radius. Again, still wouldn't go with the intention of returning to Texas.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Definitely Arkansas. Didn't Bill Clinton go there?

Yale. He did provide us with the facts of Jones v. Clinton while he was in Ark, though. Great reading in Torts..

Yea I was joking. But don't disagree.

I'd wear a shirt that says "Kiss It".

law2015admit

Postby law2015admit » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Yeah I understand what y'all are saying. I'm fine with possibly practicing in Arkansas, I was just saying that IF I was able to find a job in Texas then that would be awesome. And just to clear up the 90k, I'll be able to establish residence which means that the last two years of school will cost me about 16k combined with the scholarship that they offered me. I have also received outside scholarships and am lucky enough to have come from a family that paying the rest will not be that big of a burden. IF I end up going here, which I havent decided for sure then I think I would enjoy it, I really like the school and campus. Im still waiting to hear from my current school, Texas Tech, which I would pick over Arkansas with all of the ties here and having a close relationship with the university chancellor, who has his own law firm in Austin. Thanks again for all of y'alls repsonses! This forum is helping a lot since not too many around me are familiar with this process

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 am

law2015admit wrote:Yeah I understand what y'all are saying. I'm fine with possibly practicing in Arkansas, I was just saying that IF I was able to find a job in Texas then that would be awesome. And just to clear up the 90k, I'll be able to establish residence which means that the last two years of school will cost me about 16k combined with the scholarship that they offered me. I have also received outside scholarships and am lucky enough to have come from a family that paying the rest will not be that big of a burden. IF I end up going here, which I havent decided for sure then I think I would enjoy it, I really like the school and campus. Im still waiting to hear from my current school, Texas Tech, which I would pick over Arkansas with all of the ties here and having a close relationship with the university chancellor, who has his own law firm in Austin. Thanks again for all of y'alls repsonses! This forum is helping a lot since not too many around me are familiar with this process

I imagine you would get into Tech if your scores got you in at these other 3 you have listed. Sounds like the best option for you if that does happen. Sure wish my UG institution had a law school.

Prospecta8571

Postby Prospecta8571 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 am

Sure wish my UG institution had a law school.

Be careful what you wish for, sometimes if your UG has a law school, it does not love you back. (UT)

Jinomas

Postby Jinomas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:24 am

I am from Arkansas and work for an attorney's office in Little Rock.

Ordinarily, I am not comfortable with Texans taking jobs from Arkansans, but most of the attorneys I work with graduated from Fayetteville and a couple of them are originally from Texas, including my boss and one of our newest attorneys. A couple of them even took classes from the Clintons when they taught law in Fayetteville.

I wouldn't trade my boss for anyone I know in Arkansas and since he has been in Arkansas longer than I have been alive and has two sons born here, he is arguably more Arkansan than I am, because I grew up in Virginia and Iowa.

The more recent graduate gets ribbed constantly for being a Longhorn and Rangers fan, but it is all in good fun and he is doing quite well here. He married one of his classmates, bought a house, and his wife is about to have a baby.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Prospecta8571 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for, sometimes if your UG has a law school, it does not love you back. (UT)

I know, and really half joking. We have at least 1 too many law schools in Oklahoma already.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Oklahoma2014 wrote:
Prospecta8571 wrote:

I know, and really half joking. We have at least 1 too many law schools in Oklahoma already.

T-Boone should build OSU a law school. It would take 100 kids from the other three a year, and might push OKC Law into much needed bankruptcy.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Oklahoma2014 wrote:
Prospecta8571 wrote:

T-Boone should build OSU a law school. It would take 100 kids from the other three a year, and might push OKC Law into much needed bankruptcy.

Just got off the phone with Boone. Says he likes your idea but needs some hard data regarding how this law school start-up will help the athletics department. If we can show him that then he is all in!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”