Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 am

Napt wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why are you asking a bunch of strangers if you should be a teacher or a lawyer? Figure it yourself.

yea, why ask advice about law school on an internet forum about law schools? What a retard.


Reading comp fail.

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Napt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:36 am

t14fanboy wrote:
Napt wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why are you asking a bunch of strangers if you should be a teacher or a lawyer? Figure it yourself.

yea, why ask advice about law school on an internet forum about law schools? What a retard.


Reading comp fail.

You go to law school to become a lawyer, no?

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 am

You get a JD to go into teaching no?

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Napt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 am

t14fanboy wrote:You get a JD to go into teaching no?

No.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:41 am

exactly einstein

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Napt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:46 am

t14fanboy wrote:exactly einstein

What's your point? OP is considering law school --> JD --> PI or biglaw vs. TFA --> teaching/school administration or law school. Please EXPLAIN the problem of asking for advice about this on an internet forum about law schools, brother.

Ofta3184
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:33 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Ofta3184 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:50 am

CanadianWolf wrote:TFA is a strong soft.


TITCR. at my HYS, i'd be willing to bet at least 15% of our class did TFA.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:51 am

Ofta3184 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:TFA is a strong soft.


TITCR. at my HYS, i'd be willing to bet at least 15% of our class did TFA.


That doesn't necessarily mean it is a good soft.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 am

First off, with four years of working in the industry saying that one should go through TFA for admissions "soft" purposes is kind of laughable. If OP wants to go to law school and become a lawyer either go now or retake while still working and apply again next year. Why spend two years when the end goal is to get into law school become a lawyer?

Unless OP is going to be the first practicing attorney/active school-district superintendent, choose one path and go (but choosing whether to go into either law or education is quite a personal choice). And we go back to Desert Fox's post. A bit dense ain't ya...

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Napt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:10 am

t14fanboy wrote:(but choosing whether to go into either law or education is quite a personal choice).

Somehow significantly more so than choosing whether to go to Law School X or Law School Y? You're pretty dumb, tbh.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 am

Lmao. You are so retarded. Yes at least the average poster can compare two or more law schools and offer their 2 cents on whether it is a good financial investment. Not so much with 2 different career fields.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:24 am

Both of you shut up and stop making your argument through calling each other stupid.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:26 am

Yes mom. Just let it die. I admit I dragged it out.

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Napt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:37 am

t14fanboy wrote:Lmao. You are so retarded. Yes at least the average poster can compare two or more law schools and offer their 2 cents on whether it is a good financial investment. Not so much with 2 different career fields.

Rofl, cool argument bro. To be fair, you are also retarded. I guess I'm done now.

Scuppers
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:29 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby Scuppers » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:Why are you asking a bunch of strangers if you should be a teacher or a lawyer? Figure it yourself.


This. In fact, I'd take it a step further. Let's just close down these forums. Time to take more personal responsibility, people.

User avatar
1776
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby 1776 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Is Amercorps on par with TFA as a soft?

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby dixon02 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:46 pm

OP, feel free to PM me (TFA alum now at a T14).

Long story short: TFA is a strong soft. Almost everyone I know from the corps who went on to law school outperformed their numbers (including me). As mentioned above, many schools will let you defer to do TFA. I cannot confirm that schools specifically hold spots for TFA alum, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are some schools that have $$ specifically for TFA alumni.

As for T14fanboy: You're a 0L, right? I know you think that by spending some time on TLS you now know all there is to know about law school, law in general, and the meaning of life as a whole, but stick to topics you know something about. There are actually a good number of school district CEOs and administrators with JDs, and there are an ever increasing number of charter school CEOs/administrators with JDs as well. I don't think OP has said she's hoping for a career that blends the two fields, but if she is, then those career options do exist. Go to law school and get humbled a bit before you start calling people names on the Internet while discussing a topic you know very little about.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby imbored25 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:08 pm

BU

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:10 pm

dixon02 wrote:OP, feel free to PM me (TFA alum now at a T14).

Long story short: TFA is a strong soft. Almost everyone I know from the corps who went on to law school outperformed their numbers (including me). As mentioned above, many schools will let you defer to do TFA. I cannot confirm that schools specifically hold spots for TFA alum, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are some schools that have $$ specifically for TFA alumni.

As for T14fanboy: You're a 0L, right? I know you think that by spending some time on TLS you now know all there is to know about law school, law in general, and the meaning of life as a whole, but stick to topics you know something about. There are actually a good number of school district CEOs and administrators with JDs, and there are an ever increasing number of charter school CEOs/administrators with JDs as well. I don't think OP has said she's hoping for a career that blends the two fields, but if she is, then those career options do exist. Go to law school and get humbled a bit before you start calling people names on the Internet while discussing a topic you know very little about.


+ GC of school districts.

TFA is a great experience, a great soft, and there are lots of scholarships/fee waivers/spots for TFA alums. Will PM you with more.

teacher10456
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby teacher10456 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:14 pm

If you are not sure about TFA I would say not to do it. It is incredibly hard and I think that the students deserve someone who is not doing it as just something to do before going to law school. Working in administration is very different from teaching, and even if the school you are at has TFA teachers in it you take a huge risk because there is a wide variety of schools where people are placed. If you have questions feel free to PM me. I finished TFA and continued teaching afterwards.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby bartleby » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:27 pm

people are so hostile here, or they are joking and i am missing the interwebz humor. i'd say to do TFA if you are interested in all that school stuff and helping poor people. my friend did TFA - said it was tough but not as tough/stressing as law school. you might need to have thick skin though because i heard if the kids start disrespecting you, you are screwed. and i have also heard that the "other teachers" can be pretty hostile.

feel free to correct me if im wrong because this is only what i've heard from 2-3 TFA peoples. one girl i knew said she called home every night and cried, lol. placed in oakland or something

re: americorps - just dont do it. i dont think it looks good on a resume and i heard it is freakin brutal. go become a teacher forreal instead than do americorps. again...i may be wrong... i thought about applying for TFA and then briefly looked at the horror that comes with americorps. that is all i know about americorps

User avatar
1776
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby 1776 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 pm

bartleby wrote:people are so hostile here, or they are joking and i am missing the interwebz humor. i'd say to do TFA if you are interested in all that school stuff and helping poor people. my friend did TFA - said it was tough but not as tough/stressing as law school. you might need to have thick skin though because i heard if the kids start disrespecting you, you are screwed. and i have also heard that the "other teachers" can be pretty hostile.

feel free to correct me if im wrong because this is only what i've heard from 2-3 TFA peoples. one girl i knew said she called home every night and cried, lol. placed in oakland or something

re: americorps - just dont do it. i dont think it looks good on a resume and i heard it is freakin brutal. go become a teacher forreal instead than do americorps. again...i may be wrong... i thought about applying for TFA and then briefly looked at the horror that comes with americorps. that is all i know about americorps


Odd. My professors had only good things to say about it. I did research on it. A few of my friends did it and loved it. That's all subjective, but people with my personality type liked it. I just want to know if it is a comparable soft to tfa.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby dixon02 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 pm

1776 wrote:
bartleby wrote:people are so hostile here, or they are joking and i am missing the interwebz humor. i'd say to do TFA if you are interested in all that school stuff and helping poor people. my friend did TFA - said it was tough but not as tough/stressing as law school. you might need to have thick skin though because i heard if the kids start disrespecting you, you are screwed. and i have also heard that the "other teachers" can be pretty hostile.

feel free to correct me if im wrong because this is only what i've heard from 2-3 TFA peoples. one girl i knew said she called home every night and cried, lol. placed in oakland or something

re: americorps - just dont do it. i dont think it looks good on a resume and i heard it is freakin brutal. go become a teacher forreal instead than do americorps. again...i may be wrong... i thought about applying for TFA and then briefly looked at the horror that comes with americorps. that is all i know about americorps


Odd. My professors had only good things to say about it. I did research on it. A few of my friends did it and loved it. That's all subjective, but people with my personality type liked it. I just want to know if it is a comparable soft to tfa.


I can't say for sure because I don't actually have any experience with Americorps, but I would be very surprised if it's considered as strong a soft. I've never heard of schools with slots or $$ for Americorps. Part of the reason TFA is such a strong soft is because it's so incredibly selective (they actually boast that they're harder to get into than the average top 10 law school). Americorps is not comparable in that regard.

User avatar
1776
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby 1776 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

dixon02 wrote:
1776 wrote:
bartleby wrote:people are so hostile here, or they are joking and i am missing the interwebz humor. i'd say to do TFA if you are interested in all that school stuff and helping poor people. my friend did TFA - said it was tough but not as tough/stressing as law school. you might need to have thick skin though because i heard if the kids start disrespecting you, you are screwed. and i have also heard that the "other teachers" can be pretty hostile.

feel free to correct me if im wrong because this is only what i've heard from 2-3 TFA peoples. one girl i knew said she called home every night and cried, lol. placed in oakland or something

re: americorps - just dont do it. i dont think it looks good on a resume and i heard it is freakin brutal. go become a teacher forreal instead than do americorps. again...i may be wrong... i thought about applying for TFA and then briefly looked at the horror that comes with americorps. that is all i know about americorps


Odd. My professors had only good things to say about it. I did research on it. A few of my friends did it and loved it. That's all subjective, but people with my personality type liked it. I just want to know if it is a comparable soft to tfa.


I can't say for sure because I don't actually have any experience with Americorps, but I would be very surprised if it's considered as strong a soft. I've never heard of schools with slots or $$ for Americorps. Part of the reason TFA is such a strong soft is because it's so incredibly selective (they actually boast that they're harder to get into than the average top 10 law school). Americorps is not comparable in that regard.


Just curious, because I thought TFA was strong because it showed a commitment towards service. The program I was accepted in had an acceptance rate around 8%. The overall acceptance rate for Americorps is 15%, TFA around 10%, I don't know if that makes it comparable. The article is from 2011. Is Americorps a strong soft? If not, why is TFA one instead? I don't know anything about admissions, and I don't see how they are that different. Americorps programs also have kids teach in bad schools and work with at risk youth.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... aspx#page1
Last edited by 1776 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Cornell (sticker) or Teach For America?

Postby bartleby » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 pm

a lot of TFA's value is because there was a huge spread in the NYT or something about it rejecting Ivy Leaguers for this super awesome cause - not shitting on TFA - it is an awesome program - but a lot of it is hype too




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mojomeltdown and 4 guests