Stanford $ vs. Harvard for East Coast and International Work

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Yukos

Re: Stanford $ vs. Harvard for East Coast and International Work

Postby Yukos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Yukos wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Yukos wrote:There's still parts that are dangerous, though it's more block to block than whole swathes now. Still, the gentrification of Harlem is way overblow: go east of Malcolm X and it's clear you're not in Morningside Heights.

Source: I live in Harlem (the gentrified part obvi).

I've spent time in harlem. I've also spent time in dangerous areas. There's a noticeable difference

Lol ok well if you "spent time there" you're obviously an expert. I just live here, what do I know? :roll:

I think Dingbat's point is someone who is a sheltered Columbia student may think any place with multiple dark people is dangerous. While many people who have lived in places exponentially more dangerous in this country, would not consider Harlem a particularly dangerous neighborhood by comparison. You may have a different idea of what dangerous is. According to some Harlem is actually much safer than many other NYC neighborhoods:

DNAinfo.com released their New York City Crime and Safety Report yesterday, which featured surprising results from around the five boroughs.

All 69 New York City neighborhoods were scored on total per capita crime as well as types of crime: violent, rape, robbery, grand larceny, felony assault, burglary and auto theft.

Contrary to what you might expect, areas like Midtown Manhattan and Greenwich Village were rated as more dangerous than Harlem and Washington Heights.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dan ... z28pST7VMK

And my point was that it's a huge assumption to think that you know more about an area than someone who lives there.

I'm well aware that Harlem (and to an even greater extent Washington Heights) are not dangerous places in general. But there's certainly open-air drug markets and places where gangs fight over turf. It varies block to block, and I think any Harlem resident would agree.

The whole thing is ridiculous because my comment was East Palo Alto is not nearly as dangerous as parts of Harlem. I think that statement would be pretty hard to argue against (though apparently Dingbat wants to try)

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Yukos wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Yukos wrote:
dingbat wrote:I've spent time in harlem. I've also spent time in dangerous areas. There's a noticeable difference

Lol ok well if you "spent time there" you're obviously an expert. I just live here, what do I know? :roll:

I think Dingbat's point is someone who is a sheltered Columbia student may think any place with multiple dark people is dangerous. While many people who have lived in places exponentially more dangerous in this country, would not consider Harlem a particularly dangerous neighborhood by comparison. You may have a different idea of what dangerous is. According to some Harlem is actually much safer than many other NYC neighborhoods:

DNAinfo.com released their New York City Crime and Safety Report yesterday, which featured surprising results from around the five boroughs.

All 69 New York City neighborhoods were scored on total per capita crime as well as types of crime: violent, rape, robbery, grand larceny, felony assault, burglary and auto theft.

Contrary to what you might expect, areas like Midtown Manhattan and Greenwich Village were rated as more dangerous than Harlem and Washington Heights.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dan ... z28pST7VMK

And my point was that it's a huge assumption to think that you know more about an area than someone who lives there.

I'm well aware that Harlem (and to an even greater extent Washington Heights) are not dangerous places in general. But there's certainly open-air drug markets and places where gangs fight over turf. It varies block to block, and I think any Harlem resident would agree.

The whole thing is ridiculous because my comment was East Palo Alto is not nearly as dangerous as parts of Harlem. I think that statement would be pretty hard to argue against (though apparently Dingbat wants to try)

I don't entirely agree with this. I know people who live in Harlem that don't leave the general area of Columbia. If you asked them about Harlem they would tell you there is a ton of gang violence. But if you asked them what are the gangs in Harlem, they don't know. They may say there are drug houses in Harlem. You ask them where and they'll say they don't know. Sometimes people live in a certain place and they have a perception that may not be true. Esp. if they are transient and are coming from a non-urban area. Their eyes can betray them. Now I never lived in Harlem (too expensive) but I did live in the Bronx and was always in Harlem. I've also lived in urban crime riddled areas for most of my life. Can I discuss the relative safety of Harlem in comparison to other areas better than someone who lives in a 3,000/ month apartment near Morningside Park? Maybe, but to dismiss someone's ability to talk about the relative danger of a neighborhood just because they don't live there seems a bit presumptuous.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Yukos wrote:The whole thing is ridiculous because my comment was East Palo Alto is not nearly as dangerous as parts of Harlem. I think that statement would be pretty hard to argue against (though apparently Dingbat wants to try)

I was just saying that Harlem isn't particularly dangerous, although I guess it really depends on someone's definition of dangerous. Can't argue about East Palo Alto, which I know nothing about.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:30 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: I know people who live in Harlem that don't leave the general area of Columbia. If you asked them about Harlem they would tell you there is a ton of gang violence. But if you asked them what are the gangs in Harlem, they don't know. They may say there are drug houses in Harlem. You ask them where and they'll say they don't know. Sometimes people live in a certain place and they have a perception that may not be true. Esp. if they are transient and are coming from a non-urban area. Their eyes can betray them. Now I never lived in Harlem (too expensive) but I did live in the Bronx and was always in Harlem. I've also lived in urban crime riddled areas for most of my life. Can I discuss the relative safety of Harlem in comparison to other areas better than someone who lives in a 3,000/ month apartment near Morningside Park? Maybe, but to dismiss someone's ability to talk about the relative danger of a neighborhood just because they don't live there seems a bit presumptuous.

Before I moved to NY, I was always told how dangerous it was (NY in general, certain parts in particular). When I moved there I was surprised as to how wrong that was - seems a lot of it is a reputation that was garnered in the 70s and 80s that's just no longer true.
For reference, I'ved lived in an area where there were actual street walkers just down the road and every few months an area was cordoned off because another prostitute had been murdered, where junkies inhabited abandoned homes/buildings up the street, and where people tried to kill the heroin dealer living in my building.
Currently, I live in an area where crime statistics are measured in single digits (total number, not percentage) and I'm damn happy I don't need to look over my shoulder in case someone's too close by, or that I can't carry any valuables for fear of getting mugged.
As an aside, while I was more cautious walking around bed-stuy or the south bronx than I would in midtown manhattan, I didn't feel half as apprehensive as some of the places I hope I'll never go back to again

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:03 pm

dingbat wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: I know people who live in Harlem that don't leave the general area of Columbia. If you asked them about Harlem they would tell you there is a ton of gang violence. But if you asked them what are the gangs in Harlem, they don't know. They may say there are drug houses in Harlem. You ask them where and they'll say they don't know. Sometimes people live in a certain place and they have a perception that may not be true. Esp. if they are transient and are coming from a non-urban area. Their eyes can betray them. Now I never lived in Harlem (too expensive) but I did live in the Bronx and was always in Harlem. I've also lived in urban crime riddled areas for most of my life. Can I discuss the relative safety of Harlem in comparison to other areas better than someone who lives in a 3,000/ month apartment near Morningside Park? Maybe, but to dismiss someone's ability to talk about the relative danger of a neighborhood just because they don't live there seems a bit presumptuous.

Before I moved to NY, I was always told how dangerous it was (NY in general, certain parts in particular). When I moved there I was surprised as to how wrong that was - seems a lot of it is a reputation that was garnered in the 70s and 80s that's just no longer true.
For reference, I'ved lived in an area where there were actual street walkers just down the road and every few months an area was cordoned off because another prostitute had been murdered, where junkies inhabited abandoned homes/buildings up the street, and where people tried to kill the heroin dealer living in my building.
Currently, I live in an area where crime statistics are measured in single digits (total number, not percentage) and I'm damn happy I don't need to look over my shoulder in case someone's too close by, or that I can't carry any valuables for fear of getting mugged.
As an aside, while I was more cautious walking around bed-stuy or the south bronx than I would in midtown manhattan, I didn't feel half as apprehensive as some of the places I hope I'll never go back to again

Yeah there's no comparison between old NY and now. There are still a couple legitimately dangerous parts -- East New York, South Bronx -- but in general the city is insanely safe, especially compared to Chicago (this year), St. Louis, Baltimore, etc. Again, for whatever reason we were talking about ghettos near universities and I mentioned that parts of Harlem are more dangerous than East Palo Alto (and really I was just pointing at that, to most people's surprise, there's a pretty poor area a couple miles from Stanford). Then people start acting like I live in a $3k apartment and have never set foot in Central Harlem and that's what pissed me off.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Yukos wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Yeah there's no comparison between old NY and now. There are still a couple legitimately dangerous parts -- East New York, South Bronx -- but in general the city is insanely safe, especially compared to Chicago (this year), St. Louis, Baltimore, etc. Again, for whatever reason we were talking about ghettos near universities and I mentioned that parts of Harlem are more dangerous than East Palo Alto (and really I was just pointing at that, to most people's surprise, there's a pretty poor area a couple miles from Stanford). Then people start acting like I live in a $3k apartment and have never set foot in Central Harlem and that's what pissed me off.

I was just giving you a hard time. Sorry I can be a jerk every now and then.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Yukos wrote:Yeah there's no comparison between old NY and now. There are still a couple legitimately dangerous parts -- East New York, South Bronx -- but in general the city is insanely safe
Agreed
Yukos wrote: Then people start acting like I live in a $3k apartment and have never set foot in Central Harlem and that's what pissed me off.
nothing to do with me but i apologise anyway

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm

lol at Harlem being dangerous. It's not the 80s

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:lol at Harlem being dangerous. It's not the 80s

here we go again :)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:03 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

:shock: :roll: :lol:

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 pm

dingbat wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKHLMZGus3Y

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 pm

dingbat wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

oh, did I miss the resolution of this one. My b :oops:

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am

+1. If Harlem is dangerous, East New York/Bushwick/Bed-Stuy are war zones. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

What was the point of this thread again?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

BlaqBella wrote:

+1. If Harlem is dangerous, East New York/Bushwick/Bed-Stuy are war zones. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bed-Stuy isn't that bad, in my experience, but I haven't spent a lot of time there

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:What was the point of this thread again?

To discuss how safe New York has become

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am

More than likely, OP chose your law school. :)

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 am

dingbat wrote:

To discuss how safe New York has become

oh yeah for some reason I thought it was to discuss who is better for International work between S & H. Glad we got that settled. New York is very safe. I lived there for a while and wasn't murdered........ so that's something.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 am

BlaqBella wrote:

Do we know where OP decided?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Do we care?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am

dingbat wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:More than likely, OP chose your law school. :)

Do we care?

Once again Dingbat makes a great point. Also I never knew what your avatar was until this weekend. My neice was looking at the Jumbies on her computer and I saw the Dingbat. I had never heard of the Jumbies, are they popular?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am

I just typed "dingbat" into google images. I never heard of the Jumbies until now, but I'll look em up when I'm not in class

Edit: this is a damn accurate description of me (LinkRemoved)

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am

dingbat wrote:I just typed "dingbat" into google images. I never heard of the Jumbies until now, but I'll look em up when I'm not in class

Dingbat sleeps upside down like a bat, but is always falling on his head because of his weight and his small wings are disproportionate to his body. His flight is awkward and erratic.

You sound really interesting!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
dingbat wrote:I just typed "dingbat" into google images. I never heard of the Jumbies until now, but I'll look em up when I'm not in class

Dingbat sleeps upside down like a bat, but is always falling on his head because of his weight and his small wings are disproportionate to his body. His flight is awkward and erratic.

You sound really interesting!

My biography can be summed up in three letters: WTF

Return to “Choosing a Law School”