Michigan, UCLA or Vanderbilt?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mizzoufan7

Michigan, UCLA or Vanderbilt?

Postby mizzoufan7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Michigan: $12,500/year UCLA: $41,000/year (need and merit) Vanderbilt: $25,000 year

I would never have guessed that I would still be undecided this late in the cycle, but April finds me deadlocked between three fantastic schools. I have an interest in entertainment law but would also like to explore possibilities in international law and hope to study abroad. Eventually I would like to work in NorCal, although I wouldn't mind working in the Midwest immediately after graduation. In March I visited UCLA for their admitted student's day and loved the campus and the people but have concerns about moving to Los Angeles straight out of undergrad. The weather was a major plus. Vanderbilt was also very impressive, the students seemed genuine and the atmosphere was refreshingly relaxed. Even during my brief stay Vandy came across as very communal, suggestive of a very personal law school experience. Of the three, Michigan had the most impressive facilities and Ann Arbor struck me as an amazing place to be a student. Further, I am a huge fan of collegiate athletics and the tradition at Michigan is among the best in the country. Honestly, I could see myself thriving at any of these schools but have to choose just one.

Any suggestions/tips?

envisciguy

Re: Michigan, UCLA or Vanderbilt?

Postby envisciguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm

If you want to work in California and UCLA has offered you the most money, it sounds like the best choice.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:33 pm

envisciguy wrote:If you want to work in California and UCLA has offered you the most money, it sounds like the best choice.

mizzoufan7 wrote:Michigan: $12,500/year UCLA: $41,000/year (need and merit) Vanderbilt: $25,000 year

I would never have guessed that I would still be undecided this late in the cycle, but April finds me deadlocked between three fantastic schools. I have an interest in entertainment law but would also like to explore possibilities in international law and hope to study abroad. Eventually I would like to work in NorCal, although I wouldn't mind working in the Midwest immediately after graduation. In March I visited UCLA for their admitted student's day and loved the campus and the people but have concerns about moving to Los Angeles straight out of undergrad. The weather was a major plus. Vanderbilt was also very impressive, the students seemed genuine and the atmosphere was refreshingly relaxed. Even during my brief stay Vandy came across as very communal, suggestive of a very personal law school experience. Of the three, Michigan had the most impressive facilities and Ann Arbor struck me as an amazing place to be a student. Further, I am a huge fan of collegiate athletics and the tradition at Michigan is among the best in the country. Honestly, I could see myself thriving at any of these schools but have to choose just one.

Any suggestions/tips?

I'm pretty sure Michigan is better for NorCal. That said, 41k a year makes UCLA a very strong choice. I would probably choose UCLA in this case, unless you can get more money from Mich.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mizzoufan7

Postby mizzoufan7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the advice! With regard to international law, I was hoping that a legal education would benefit a career working for a multinational corporation as a consultant. As I'm sure you've realized, I'm still green to the legal sphere and plan on narrowing my career aspirations after 1L. But thank you for saving me from future embarrassment, I'll try to avoid telling people that I'm interested in international law lol

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mizzoufan7

Postby mizzoufan7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”