illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

IP Law, technical background:

U Illinois
15
71%
U Colorado
5
24%
Pepperdine
1
5%
 
Total votes: 21

villainousv
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby villainousv » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:18 pm

I want to do IP law, mechanical engineering background.

My gut says Illinois is the best choice, but I'm afraid Illinois will just be another version of Midwest State where I did my undergrad and I will hate it. Plus I'm not a fan of small towns.

What I want to be true is that since the ranking between them aren't hugely different, and since I have a technical background, that picking between these won't really matter to my career, and I can just choose based on location and money.

illini22
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 am

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby illini22 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:31 pm

You answered your own question, take school based on Money + where you want to practice, none of these schools are national.

However, if you dont care much, or dont care starting out somewhere else, Illinois has better big law placement than the others by A LOT.

I know IP people did very well here, going to boutiques (really hard to get) and big law at way higher rates than the rest of the class.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby t14fanboy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Illinois bro.

villainousv
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby villainousv » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for the responses, Big Law is one of the reasons I thought Illinois would be best.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 pm

If you don't want to live in the mid-west why would you go to Illinois? Go to where you want to live. Illinois has better "big law" placement because is lots of NLJ firms are in Chicago... Chicago is in the mid-west...

Do you want to work in a firm in Chicago, Denver, or L.A.?

We're done here.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby flem » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:20 pm

I too picked my school based on throwing darts at a map while blindfolded.

villainousv
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby villainousv » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you don't want to live in the mid-west why would you go to Illinois? Go to where you want to live. Illinois has better "big law" placement because is lots of NLJ firms are in Chicago... Chicago is in the mid-west...
Because almost all the research I've done says "Go to the best ranked law school you can get into." That is why I'm seeking dissenting opinions from various sources, and what you say about NLJ firms being concentrated in Chicago makes sense, so thanks. It's not necessarily big law that I care about so much as quality of life, but if salary would be way higher by being in Chicago than that is important to me.

flem wrote:I too picked my school based on throwing darts at a map while blindfolded.

Well I am asking for advice on TLS so our strategies aren't much different.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby blurbz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 pm

My IP friends at Illinois (who were in the top 50%) all had multiple offers. Ranging from biglaw Chicago (like Kirkland) to IP shops in California (Like Knobbe) and everything in between. They certainly did well for themselves!

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 am

My IP friend at Seton Hall did really well. He was IP.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:41 am

villainousv wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you don't want to live in the mid-west why would you go to Illinois? Go to where you want to live. Illinois has better "big law" placement because is lots of NLJ firms are in Chicago... Chicago is in the mid-west...
Because almost all the research I've done says "Go to the best ranked law school you can get into." That is why I'm seeking dissenting opinions from various sources, and what you say about NLJ firms being concentrated in Chicago makes sense, so thanks. It's not necessarily big law that I care about so much as quality of life, but if salary would be way higher by being in Chicago than that is important to me.

flem wrote:I too picked my school based on throwing darts at a map while blindfolded.

Well I am asking for advice on TLS so our strategies aren't much different.


If your research has told you that, you have either looked at very old sources or your are misinterpreting the data. What that really means is "within the region, go to the best law school you can get into." This is still a popular theory. However, no one is rationally advocating that you should go to the best school you get into in accordance with the USNEWS magazine, unless that school is in the T14 and you have ambitions for biglaw. Read TLS more and you will see that theory thrown out the window with great force.

Go to the best school that you can get into in the region you want to work in so long as you don't go into soul crushing debt to do so, is a way more workable theory. Illinois isn't a better school than CU just because they are ten spots ahead of CU in the "rankings," Illinois is a decent school for that market. On the other hand, people like to go to schools like CU because it is not only a decent school, it is the best school in the region.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating CU over other schools to the extent that you should go to CU and not Illinois if you wanted to live in the state of Illinois. First figure out where you want to live, then think about schools.

As far as your salary concern, all of these schools are going to come out as a wash (or close enough to a wash to be statistically insignificant) because of differences in cost of living. Living in Colorado is going to be cheaper than LA or Chicago, but you are also going to be paid less accordingly. I wouldn't sweat it.

Finally, beware of polls on TLS. There are only a couple CU Law peps on TLS, and sadly this will effect your poll. People irrationally vote for their own school-- see Vandy/UT thread for employment in Texas.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:29 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you don't want to live in the mid-west why would you go to Illinois? Go to where you want to live. Illinois has better "big law" placement because is lots of NLJ firms are in Chicago... Chicago is in the mid-west...

Chicago is in the Midwest, certainly. But it doesn't have the same feel as the rest of the region, if that makes any sense.

OP, because of your IP background, I think UIUC is the best choice for you.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you don't want to live in the mid-west why would you go to Illinois? Go to where you want to live. Illinois has better "big law" placement because is lots of NLJ firms are in Chicago... Chicago is in the mid-west...

Chicago is in the Midwest, certainly. But it doesn't have the same feel as the rest of the region, if that makes any sense.

OP, because of your IP background, I think UIUC is the best choice for you.


This is true. How many UIUC grads get Chicago though? I really wanted to live in Nashville and considered a full at U of Tenn before I realized that only 25% of the class got Nashville.

As far as the IP background, I'll defer to you all because I don't know much about it. I had though that IP sort of made the school irrelevant, at least to some event. Funny I know a 1L here that went to Northwestern for engineering and now is at CU Law with IP hopes. Maybe that guy is a rube though. He seems to think he can go back to Chicago because he is IP.

I wish I was IP.

FWIW its worth I think Chi town is the prefect city minus the weather. Great culture.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby blurbz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you don't want to live in the mid-west why would you go to Illinois? Go to where you want to live. Illinois has better "big law" placement because is lots of NLJ firms are in Chicago... Chicago is in the mid-west...

Chicago is in the Midwest, certainly. But it doesn't have the same feel as the rest of the region, if that makes any sense.

OP, because of your IP background, I think UIUC is the best choice for you.


This is true. How many UIUC grads get Chicago though? I really wanted to live in Nashville and considered a full at U of Tenn before I realized that only 25% of the class got Nashville.

As far as the IP background, I'll defer to you all because I don't know much about it. I had though that IP sort of made the school irrelevant, at least to some event. Funny I know a 1L here that went to Northwestern for engineering and now is at CU Law with IP hopes. Maybe that guy is a rube though. He seems to think he can go back to Chicago because he is IP.

I wish I was IP.

FWIW its worth I think Chi town is the prefect city minus the weather. Great culture.


Depends on what you mean by "get chicago." Most people here will end up in the Chicago market, most by choice.

clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

Re: illinois vs. colorado vs. pepperdine

Postby clintone88 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

I think because you have ME, and not a bio or electrical/CS, IL might be best. It seems like the best chance of getting a job in IP with MechE is in the midwest because there are a lot of firms that still do a decent amount of Mech IP there. Not real sure about the mechanical IP world in Denver or LA, you would have to look into firms and see how big their mechanical depts are.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, TAD and 3 guests