Emory vs. WM vs. UNC- Equal Cost Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Emory
50%
WM
No votes
UNC
50%

Total votes: 14

happyinpink54

New

Emory vs. WM vs. UNC- Equal Cost

Post by happyinpink54 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi TLSers-

I need some serious advice. I am choosing among Emory, WM and UNC. Because of scholarships, they all cost the same (even when factoring in COL).

Here's the important info:

1. Did UNC undergrad and am from NC. I want to practice in the Southeast, but no state preference.

2. Stats are 165/3.7

3. I want PI Law- dream job would be working for the ACLU in a Southern state or DC (not likely, I know).

HELP!

tennisking88

Silver

Re: Emory vs. WM vs. UNC- Equal Cost

Post by tennisking88 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm

happyinpink54 wrote:Hi TLSers-

I need some serious advice. I am choosing among Emory, WM and UNC. Because of scholarships, they all cost the same (even when factoring in COL).

Here's the important info:

1. Did UNC undergrad and am from NC. I want to practice in the Southeast, but no state preference.

2. Stats are 165/3.7

3. I want PI Law- dream job would be working for the ACLU in a Southern state or DC (not likely, I know).

HELP!
SE like Atlanta or SE like North Carolina? If you have a preference for one over the other then you know your answer I believe. Although WM is a good school, it doesn't perform well in the SE.

happyinpink54

New

Post by happyinpink54 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm

By SE I mean anywhere from Florida to DC. Because I don't really have a strong geog preference, I guess I should have asked which school will give me the most opportunities... which has the most recognition, etc?

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:33 pm

happyinpink54 wrote:By SE I mean anywhere from Florida to DC. Because I don't really have a strong geog preference, I guess I should have asked which school will give me the most opportunities... which has the most recognition, etc?
I'd say the three are pretty much equal. However, if you're not set on NC, I wouldn't go to UNC.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Surprised that all three are equal COA. What's your total debt afterwards?

If I had to pick, I'd say UNC because you're from North Carolina, it gives you an excellent fall back, and UNC is very strong in NC PI. If you aren't top 10-20%, you won't be working prestigious super-jobs anyways, so you might as well be safe with a contingency.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

happyinpink54

New

Post by happyinpink54 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Yeah, the equal COA surprised me too. Emory gave me a HUGE scholarship, and WM gave me a smaller one. UNC gave me nothing, but I'm in-state.

I'm also pretty lucky and looking at less that $10,000 total debt because of family help.

Gail, what you said makes sense... I guess I'm just worried about being stuck in NC versus going to one of the other schools and just being "stuck" in the south.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:07 pm

happyinpink54 wrote: I'm also pretty lucky and looking at less that $10,000 total debt because of family help.
:shock:

Emory. I change my vote.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Gail wrote:
happyinpink54 wrote: I'm also pretty lucky and looking at less that $10,000 total debt because of family help.
:shock:

Emory. I change my vote.
+1. Emory for 10k? What a great deal.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Yeah, you can't go wrong with only 10k in debt. I'm happy for you! Sounds like you have a wonderful family and I hope you do well at Emory!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

happyinpink54

New

Post by happyinpink54 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far! It looks like I may be headed to Emory in the fall.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

happyinpink54 wrote:Yeah, the equal COA surprised me too. Emory gave me a HUGE scholarship, and WM gave me a smaller one. UNC gave me nothing, but I'm in-state.

Disclosure: W&M 2L.

I'm also pretty lucky and looking at less that $10,000 total debt because of family help.

Gail, what you said makes sense... I guess I'm just worried about being stuck in NC versus going to one of the other schools and just being "stuck" in the south.
I can read your post one of a few ways:

-You currently have $10k in debt
-No matter where you go to law school, you'll be looking at $10k of post-law school debt
-Depending on the school, you'll be looking at $10k of post-law school debt

If it is the middle one, then I think you should be deciding purely on where you want to work and environment factors. It seems like you're content with anywhere from DC to the South, so the school is basically going to just swing the likelihood you'll end up in a particular belt of that area (e.g. if you go to W&M, you'll be much more likely to end up in VA/DC, UNC in NC, and Emory in the deep-South). I should say that Emory may have a slight edge at BigLaw by virtue of the fact that it doesn't have as much competition in its key markets. W&M has UVA/Georgetown and UNC has Duke. It seems like, for 2010, Emory put about twice the percentage that W&M or UNC did into 500+ firms, while the net amount of graduates employed seems about the same.

That being said, I'd still make it about environmental factors - how do you like the city each is in, are you really sure you want to end up in DC or Atlanta or Raleigh, what does the student body seem like.

EDIT: Whoa, just saw that you're interested in PI, not BigLaw -- seriously consider looking at the clinics at each school and opportunities for internships with PI groups you're interested in. I would do some more research into the three schools to really figure out which can provide you the best opportunity to break into that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”