Can Pitt get me a job in Columbus ? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tommy Boy

New

Can Pitt get me a job in Columbus ?

Post by Tommy Boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:49 am

I want to live in Columbus more than any other city. I don't have a shot at OSU but I know I have a decent chance of getting into Pitt. I know Pitt is a regional school and Columbus is only 3 hours away, does that mean I'd have a good possibility of being able to practice in Columbus, Ohio ?

Jaeger

Bronze

Re: Can Pitt get me a job in Columbus ?

Post by Jaeger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:16 am

Tommy Boy wrote:I want to live in Columbus more than any other city. I don't have a shot at OSU but I know I have a decent chance of getting into Pitt. I know Pitt is a regional school and Columbus is only 3 hours away, does that mean I'd have a good possibility of being able to practice in Columbus, Ohio ?

First sentence makes me wonder if trolling.

Any ties to Columbus?

Tommy Boy

New

Post by Tommy Boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:30 am

Jaeger wrote:
Tommy Boy wrote:I want to live in Columbus more than any other city. I don't have a shot at OSU but I know I have a decent chance of getting into Pitt. I know Pitt is a regional school and Columbus is only 3 hours away, does that mean I'd have a good possibility of being able to practice in Columbus, Ohio ?

First sentence makes me wonder if trolling.

Any ties to Columbus?
Well I'm not trolling. I really do love Columbus. And unfortunately no I don't have any ties to the city.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:43 am

GPA/LSAT?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 am

Of course Pitt can get you to Columbus--just remember to take the Ohio bar exam. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:51 am

Assuming you're not trolling because I believe Columbus is the 2nd best Midwestern city after Chicago.

Did you apply to Capital? If you want Columbus and only Columbus and OSU is out of the question after exhausting LSAT retakes, a full-ride there would likely be a better choice than Pitt. Definitely a gamble, though, because below-median at Capital would be devastating from a job perspective. The top of the class has a great alumni base and relatively decent local reputation despite its TTTT status, though.

It would probably be a better idea, though, to take some time off from school and just try to get a job here. Look at Nationwide, Chase, Limited Brands, DSW, Big Lots, A&F, Tween Brands, Express, The Limited, and state government positions. It might help if you move here, so just get a day job at a restaurant or store to pay the bills and get the right address to put on your resume for those bigger companies. And retake the LSAT. Since applications are down overall, I think a 162+ will make you competitive for OSU. Plus if you work here for a year, you'll get instate tuition (if you don't already qualify).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:04 am

Lwoods wrote:
Assuming you're not trolling because I believe Columbus is the 2nd best Midwestern city after Chicago.

Did you apply to Capital? If you want Columbus and only Columbus and OSU is out of the question after exhausting LSAT retakes, a full-ride there would likely be a better choice than Pitt. Definitely a gamble, though, because below-median at Capital would be devastating from a job perspective. The top of the class has a great alumni base and relatively decent local reputation despite its TTTT status, though.

It would probably be a better idea, though, to take some time off from school and just try to get a job here. Look at Nationwide, Chase, Limited Brands, DSW, Big Lots, A&F, Tween Brands, Express, The Limited, and state government positions. It might help if you move here, so just get a day job at a restaurant or store to pay the bills and get the right address to put on your resume for those bigger companies. And retake the LSAT. Since applications are down overall, I think a 162+ will make you competitive for OSU. Plus if you work here for a year, you'll get instate tuition (if you don't already qualify).
The second half of this is exactly what you should do.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:16 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I agree with this. I am very familiar with Pitt (I live and work here) and I can say that it doesn't really have much reach into Ohio, at least in desirable legal employment. Columbus is a small market compared to Cleveland (where Jones Day has a large office) and Pittsburgh (where you have K and L, Buchanon and Reed Smith). Ohio is very overcrowded. The state has so many law a schools relative to its legal market. OSU is very much the top dog outside of t-14 and other strong school grads coming back. After that, Case pretty much takes te number two spot. Then U Cincinnati. Then all the Ohio TTTs and TTTTs. That being said, there is a lot of competition for Ohio jobs from those schools. I would take and year off, develop ties if that's where you actually want to live, and shoot for OSU with $$$.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 am

As someone who has lived in Pittsburgh his whole life... I don't really think / have heard of many Pittsburgh and Columbus connections. I admit I don't really know anything about the Columbus legal market though

If you can get into Pitt you are probably only a couple LSAT points away from OSU... retake / OSU would be my advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tommy Boy

New

Post by Tommy Boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:49 am

Jaeger wrote:GPA/LSAT?
3.2 164
Lwoods wrote:

I agree Chicago is the best city in the midwest from an objective stand point. It just isn't for me though. And I haven't applied to Capital. Don't know if I could take a gamble like that.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am

Well your GPA sucks and OSU seems to have a lot higher median GPAs. But if you bump that LSAT up 6 or 7 points, you might get into Northwestern, and then you can go wherever you want.

Tommy Boy

New

Post by Tommy Boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Jaeger wrote:Well your GPA sucks and OSU seems to have a lot higher median GPAs. But if you bump that LSAT up 6 or 7 points, you might get into Northwestern, and then you can go wherever you want.
Yeah I had one really bad semester where I got a couple of F's :cry:

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Tommy Boy wrote:
Jaeger wrote:GPA/LSAT?
3.2 164
I actually think you'll have a decent shot at tOSU with that, unfortunately not with much money, though. I still think you should just move here, get a job, retake the LSAT (a couple of points would really help), and apply early in the fall. Consider UC and Case. I don't know that they do particularly well here, but better than Pitt, it seems.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:26 pm

top30man wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I agree with this. I am very familiar with Pitt (I live and work here) and I can say that it doesn't really have much reach into Ohio, at least in desirable legal employment. Columbus is a small market compared to Cleveland (where Jones Day has a large office) and Pittsburgh (where you have K and L, Buchanon and Reed Smith). Ohio is very overcrowded. The state has so many law a schools relative to its legal market. OSU is very much the top dog outside of t-14 and other strong school grads coming back. After that, Case pretty much takes te number two spot. Then U Cincinnati. Then all the Ohio TTTs and TTTTs. That being said, there is a lot of competition for Ohio jobs from those schools. I would take and year off, develop ties if that's where you actually want to live, and shoot for OSU with $$$.
Although I'm just now shipping off to LS I have been involved in the Ohio legal market for years. That's not necessarily true.

Hiring in the state reflects this basis more:

T-14 schools, then OSU. Case if you want Cleveland. UC if you want Cincinnati. Case and UC are regional schools in the state and neither necessarily reach outside their respective cities.

After that, extremely high unemployment.

OP: Pitt won't really reach Ohio to any specific degree.

Capital is a dangerous bet. Thoroughly research all data, including attrition rate.

Yes, I am a 0L but have years connection to the Ohio legal market which I'd be happy to verify.

Hope this helps.

Tommy Boy

New

Post by Tommy Boy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Lwoods wrote: I actually think you'll have a decent shot at tOSU with that, unfortunately not with much money, though. I still think you should just move here, get a job, retake the LSAT (a couple of points would really help), and apply early in the fall. Consider UC and Case. I don't know that they do particularly well here, but better than Pitt, it seems.
thanks

cdelgado wrote:
Although I'm just now shipping off to LS I have been involved in the Ohio legal market for years. That's not necessarily true.

Hiring in the state reflects this basis more:

T-14 schools, then OSU. Case if you want Cleveland. UC if you want Cincinnati. Case and UC are regional schools in the state and neither necessarily reach outside their respective cities.

After that, extremely high unemployment.

OP: Pitt won't really reach Ohio to any specific degree.

Capital is a dangerous bet. Thoroughly research all data, including attrition rate.

Yes, I am a 0L but have years connection to the Ohio legal market which I'd be happy to verify.

Hope this helps.
It helps a lot. Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Ask career services at Pitt Law regarding placement in Columbus, Ohio.

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 pm

^ seconded - ask Pitt's Career Services.

- DO NOT go to Capital University. If you can get into Pitt, you can do better.
- If you want Columbus, then the obvious best bet is tOSU or a t14.
- If that's not an option, then I again agree with the above advice - go to Case or Cincy. Try to get some internships in Columbus during the summer, build ties, work the system.
- Look up the alma maters of the attorneys on Columbus law firm websites. It'll give you some idea of where they come from and where they'll likely show some favoritism.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 pm

If you want cleveland, case isn't worth the money compared to Cleveland Marshall. Case isn't worth the extra tens of thousands bc you're stuck in Cleveland, and it's on a tailspin since the new dean got in. Their specialty is international and health law. Case is pretty much stuck in ne Ohio/Cleveland. People I know that went there have very few good things to say about it. Don't go to case unless it's super cheap...risky school if you want cbus.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:54 pm

cylon_clone wrote:^ seconded - ask Pitt's Career Services.

- DO NOT go to Capital University. If you can get into Pitt, you can do better.
- If you want Columbus, then the obvious best bet is tOSU or a t14.
- If that's not an option, then I again agree with the above advice - go to Case or Cincy. Try to get some internships in Columbus during the summer, build ties, work the system.
- Look up the alma maters of the attorneys on Columbus law firm websites. It'll give you some idea of where they come from and where they'll likely show some favoritism.
Yeah I'd avoid capital. Entirely. I'd go to Pitt if you want Pittsburgh or OSU otherwise.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Jaeger wrote:Well your GPA sucks and OSU seems to have a lot higher median GPAs. But if you bump that LSAT up 6 or 7 points, you might get into Northwestern, and then you can go wherever you want.
This is an exaggeration. I'm not sure OP, who doesn't have ties to Columbus, would necessarily be able to go NU-->Columbus unless he has ties to OH in general.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:59 pm

bk187 wrote:
This is an exaggeration. I'm not sure OP, who doesn't have ties to Columbus, would necessarily be able to go NU-->Columbus unless he has ties to OH in general.
I completely agree. That's why I think TCR is retake, work in Columbus for a year and go to OSU with $$$

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”