Tulane

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imbored25

Tulane

Postby imbored25 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:06 pm

What kind of job prospects can one expect out of Tulane. They didn't make the NLJ list of go to schools meaning less than 6.5% get big law. Are there non-biglaw firms in NOLA and around LA that pay well? What percentage would I have to be in to have a shot at a well paying job

imbored25

Re: Tulane

Postby imbored25 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:57 am

Come on amigos

hoya2012

Postby hoya2012 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:03 am

Are you from Louisiana? It's definitely a very insular market, and I wouldn't go to Tulane from somewhere else planning on landing a big firm job in NOLA.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 am

I wouldn't recommend coming to Tulane without at least knowing that you would consider returning to where you have ties to. That's not to say that you won't get a job in New Orleans without ties, as that certainly isn't close to true. However, if you would consider returning to where you have ties, you've at least doubled the number of states in which you could look for jobs (where you are from + LA).

Are there big law jobs in New Orleans? Regardless of anything, you really should not be even talking about NLJ firms as a likely outcome unless you are talking about a T13. For the sake of information, New Orleans has 4 NLJ firms headquartered here (Phelps Dunbar, Jones Walker, Adams and Reese, and McGlinchey Stafford), many satellite offices regional NLJ firms from AL, MS, TN, TX etc. located here, and a couple of tiny offices of national NLJ firms located here. Because there are not many summer associate spots in New Orleans each year, many people that end up in the NLJ firms end up in TX, NY or another secondary market that the individual student has connections to. Also, while NLJ firms generally pay the most, there are many non-NLJ firms that pay competitive salaries in each market - and New Orleans is no different. I'm aware of multiple firms with less than 100 attorneys (some with less than 30) that pay around $90K to first years.

What do you mean by a well paying job? Salaries vary significantly by market, so a salary that's good in New Orleans would be laughable in NYC. Nevertheless, Tulane is within the range of schools in which the top 1/3 generally (not always) ends up with a desirable employment outcome. Outside of that range, competitive job placement depends more on the individual student and the individual employer (ties, pre-law work experience, during law internship experience, journal, moot court, unique interest area [tax, patent, admiralty], etc.).

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info. The other school I'm considering is the University of Oklahoma. We only have 3 major firms here (starting pay is $100k) and I know for a fact you have to be top 5% to get considered. Given that I think I should go to Tulane since a much larger percentage of the class seems to have a shot and well paying ($75K+) jobs. But idk

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:34 pm

If you're from Oklahoma, COA should run you about 25-30k a year if they don't offer scholarship. If you do well you'll end up at a job in a firm from your state paying 40k - 65k and that's the best anyone not at T14 can ask for (I seriously don't get the hate for Georgetown).

If by chance you do really well, you could get a big job in Texas. You have as much chance of doing that as you do of doing it at Tulane with much less risk on the back end.

If you're from OK, couldn't live if you weren't a lawyer, and don't think that you could do well enough with a retake to land in the T14, then I think that you should go to the University of Oklahoma and it really isn't even close.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Gail wrote:If you're from Oklahoma, COA should run you about 25-30k a year if they don't offer scholarship. If you do well you'll end up at a job in a firm from your state paying 40k - 65k and that's the best anyone not at T14 can ask for (I seriously don't get the hate for Georgetown).

If by chance you do really well, you could get a big job in Texas. You have as much chance of doing that as you do of doing it at Tulane with much less risk on the back end.

If you're from OK, couldn't live if you weren't a lawyer, and don't think that you could do well enough with a retake to land in the T14, then I think that you should go to the University of Oklahoma and it really isn't even close.

yea but I want a higher paying job

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 am

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTulane

Return to “Choosing a Law School”