BU (25K) v. UMN (Full Ride) v. Vanderbilt (25K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go if you were in my shoes?

BU (25K/yr)
36%
UMN (Full Tuition Scholarship)
36%
Vanderbilt (25K/yr)
27%

Total votes: 22

LuckyinLaw?

BU (25K) v. UMN (Full Ride) v. Vanderbilt (25K)

Postby LuckyinLaw? » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:20 pm

I'd love to have some feedback. I'm from New England and currently trying to decide what school I should attend. Ideally, I would love to work in Boston or New York, but I'm not necessarily interested in BigLaw.

I'm from New Hampshire, but I also have ties to Massachusetts. I have no ties to Minneapolis, but I wouldn't be opposed for living in MN after graduation (with the hopes of the possibility that I could eventually relocate to the northeast). I'm throwing in Vanderbilt as well for good measure - I have no ties to the south and I have no interest in working in the south, so I don't think it would make much sense for me to go there, but I really loved the school when I visited and would possibly be open to attending if I felt confident that I could get back to the northeast after graduation.

Whatever option I choose, I have enough money saved up to graduate without debt, so I won't have to worry about taking out loans. But a full scholarship from Minnesota (and only having to pay COL there) is really enticing - particularly in this economy (and I'm starting to get a little bit freaked out that it may take me a little while after graduation to find a job).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Doorkeeper

Re: BU (25K) v. UMN (Full Ride) v. Vanderbilt (25K)

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:05 pm

I agree that a full ride is enticing at Minnesota, but you have no ties there and want to get back to the Northeast at some point after graduation. I say BU. This being said, make sure to use the Minnesota full ride to negotiate up your scholarship at BU first.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Go to BU. You kind of answered your own questions.

Bahzing!

Postby Bahzing! » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I agree that a full ride is enticing at Minnesota, but you have no ties there and want to get back to the Northeast at some point after graduation. I say BU. This being said, make sure to use the Minnesota full ride to negotiate up your scholarship at BU first.

I agree. I would first try to squeeze more out of BU. If that does not work, then I would consider MN, so long as you are truly comfortable living in MN for at least a decent amount of time after graduation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”