NYU sticker v. Duke $72k

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU sticker v. Duke $72k

Poll ended at Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 pm

NYU
24%
Duke
76%

Total votes: 46

goingtoshabooms

NYU sticker v. Duke $72k

Postby goingtoshabooms » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm

I know this type of thread is overused but I'm getting down to the wire and am no closer to a decision. I've narrowed my choices down to Duke with $72k and NYU at sticker, but obviously the cost difference is even more significant when cost of living is factored in. I currently live in NC but I've wanted to move to NY for a while and know that's where I want to be after graduation. I am unsure of how much harder it would be to get a NY big law job out of Duke than NYU (if it would make any difference at all). My overall pro's for Duke are that its WAY cheaper, would be a less stressful transition during 1L year, and I liked the smaller class size better (for multiple reasons). Overall pros for NYU are that I would get to NY sooner and it may give me an edge at getting a big law NY job.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Detrox

Re: NYU sticker v. Duke $72k

Postby Detrox » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:20 pm

goingtoshabooms wrote:I know this type of thread is overused but I'm getting down to the wire and am no closer to a decision. I've narrowed my choices down to Duke with $72k and NYU at sticker, but obviously the cost difference is even more significant when cost of living is factored in. I currently live in NC but I've wanted to move to NY for a while and know that's where I want to be after graduation. I am unsure of how much harder it would be to get a NY big law job out of Duke than NYU (if it would make any difference at all). My overall pro's for Duke are that its WAY cheaper, would be a less stressful transition during 1L year, and I liked the smaller class size better (for multiple reasons). Overall pros for NYU are that I would get to NY sooner and it may give me an edge at getting a big law NY job.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Voted for NYU despite the fact that I believe most will vote for Duke. I think the difference in chance of landing biglaw in NYC is significant enough to turn down the money. Duke obviously gives you some chance, but it is definitely a palpably lesser chance.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

What's the total COA for each for the combined 3 years?

While NYU will give you a better chance at biglaw in NYC, I really don't think it's worth all the extra money that NYU @ sticker is going to cost. I vote Duke.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Duke easily. As long as you don't totally burn out and you hold your own, common sentiment seems to be that you will be able to get yourself to New York. Plus, $70k is a lot of money and the difference is obviously much more than that with COL factored in (probably closer to $100k+ easy).

That's a pretty big chunk of change.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Duke. If you go to NYU and don't get big law, you're in big trouble.

If you go to Duke and don't get NYC big law, you'd have other options - like big law or mid law in NC, since you have connections and would have a much more manageable amount of debt.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:33 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Duke easily. As long as you don't totally burn out and you hold your own, common sentiment seems to be that you will be able to get yourself to New York. Plus, $70k is a lot of money and the difference is obviously much more than that with COL factored in (probably closer to $100k+ easy).

That's a pretty big chunk of change.

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:36 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Duke. If you go to NYU and don't get big law, you're in big trouble.

If you go to Duke and don't get NYC big law, you'd have other options - like big law or mid law in NC, since you have connections and would have a much more manageable amount of debt.

One would think this would be true, but reviewing the placement information from 2011 and earlier the Duke biglaw placement within the state is not all that robust. (btw I still vote Duke all the way given the financial difference and circumstances).
Last edited by mmk33 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:38 pm

mmk33 wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:Duke. If you go to NYU and don't get big law, you're in big trouble.

One would think this would be true, but reviewing the placement information from 2011 and earlier the Duke biglaw placement within the state is not all that robust.

NYU's wasn't that robust either. It was 2009 OCI (i.e. when shit went down), I think most posters are expecting both schools to have higher numbers.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Go to Duke.

Yes, NYU places better, but after factoring in COL and interest, my guess is that it will end up costing you 100k more. That's a huge chunk of change.

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Bronck wrote:Go to Duke.

Yes, NYU places better, but after factoring in COL and interest, my guess is that it will end up costing you 100k more. That's a huge chunk of change.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Go to Duke & vacation in NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”