Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:OP will be fine with a degree from UCI. Period.


lolololololol. You and I have very different definitions of fine.


That's ok. Come back to me in the future and state the same.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:10 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
bk1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:It's very clear that UCI is on the track to be the 3rd school in the running for the LA/OC area. I don't see how that is not obvious. I sincerely don't mean it as an attack, I just fail to see how this is not very visible. And frankly, with its lifestyle, I would see that UCI would become a better option for those that didn't want to have to deal with the hustle and bustle that LA brings. I consider Irvine and LA two different markets unto themselves. Maybe you don't.


How do you not understand that there is a difference between calling UCI on track for the 3rd best school in SoCal and calling it on track for being a peer to UCLA/USC?


Because, ultimately I think that being on track to being the third "ranked" school in SoCal makes it a competitive eventual NorCal school too. Much like UCB/Stanford/UCLA/USC are right now, I think that UCI will be on a similar track to make it be the 5th school as part of that mix.

I didn't go to UCI, I will not be going to UCI and I'm just saying that as both an outsider looking in, in addition to someone that has worked in both LA/OC, that's the track I see it being put on. Only time will tell.


OP will have a little over a year for that prediction to come true in terms of when his career prospects will be affected the most. I don't think that sort of gamble is worth 200K.

OP-Have you considered retaking and reapplying?

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby bdole2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:11 pm

From thread yesterday:


BearsGrl wrote:
Loyola isn't a "shitty" law school. As someone that lives North of Chicago, I find it comical that you would even imply this.



So...do you live in Cali or Chicago?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:13 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:20 pm

bdole2 wrote:From thread yesterday:


BearsGrl wrote:
Loyola isn't a "shitty" law school. As someone that lives North of Chicago, I find it comical that you would even imply this.



So...do you live in Cali or Chicago?

To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 pm

aekea wrote:
bdole2 wrote:From thread yesterday:


BearsGrl wrote:
Loyola isn't a "shitty" law school. As someone that lives North of Chicago, I find it comical that you would even imply this.



So...do you live in Cali or Chicago?

To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...


LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Loyola - Chi isn't a bad law school. It's located in a saturated market so of course it's going to get that designation. If someone wants access to the Midwest market, Loyola-Chi is fine. They should know that they will be going against Chicago grads. and graduates from other Midwest states but other than that, it has a solid enough reputation. Now will you be able to get certain opportunities out of it? I don't know. However, not everyone is looking for those opportunities out of law school so if someone wants to go into private practice or start their own practice, it's going to be fine. Or at least, it should be.

I moved out of the LA area about 2-3 yrs ago so my thoughts are fresh. I am from the Midwest and went to grad. school in CA. My resume, which I'm proud of, is supported with firms/organizations based in LA/OC. I also was just in the state a couple weeks ago, but I don't see how that has any bearing on anything. I was in Vegas recently too. Does that mean that I know UNLV? No. However, I have anecdotal data that says that people from different regions can still "make it" in other regions. I know a Wisconsin grad. that moved out to Vegas and appears to be doing just fine. That's just one example.

All of our statements are merely opinion and conjecture. However, I'm thinking of it as a business option. I see UCI on the up and up. That's a risk that OP would have to take, but I don't see as big of a risk as the rest of people posting. I see UCI as a solid option. Others may not. That's their choice. No biggie.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:41 pm

$200,000 is a massive, massive risk for a product that's not fully understood yet. It's not really debatable.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:56 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
bdole2 wrote:From thread yesterday:


BearsGrl wrote:
Loyola isn't a "shitty" law school. As someone that lives North of Chicago, I find it comical that you would even imply this.



So...do you live in Cali or Chicago?

To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...


LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Always Credited » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:04 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I moved out of the LA area about 2-3 yrs ago so my thoughts are fresh. I am from the Midwest and went to grad. school in CA. My resume, which I'm proud of, is supported with firms/organizations based in LA/OC. I also was just in the state a couple weeks ago, but I don't see how that has any bearing on anything. I was in Vegas recently too. Does that mean that I know UNLV? No. However, I have anecdotal data that says that people from different regions can still "make it" in other regions. I know a Wisconsin grad. that moved out to Vegas and appears to be doing just fine. That's just one example.


Image

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:05 pm

aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...


LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."


BearsGrl, maybe you can change the wiki pages for Southern California and Central California. These pages seem to be as confused as the other people in this thread. Your wisdom should be spread to correct this myth about LA being in southern California.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:$200,000 is a massive, massive risk for a product that's not fully understood yet. It's not really debatable.


We disagree on this sentiment. That's ok. I never said it was not ok to disagree.

I stand by my contention that UCI will be a solid school, on par with UCLA/USC and such.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...


LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."


BearsGrl, maybe you can change the wiki pages for Southern California and Central California. These pages seem to be as confused as the other people in this thread. Your wisdom should be spread to correct this myth about LA being in southern California.

I would also suggest a petition be sent to USC that they change they're name to the University of Central California. As a school in Central California it's very misleading for them to call themselves the University of Southern California. I mean, why would they even do that?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 pm

To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...[/quote]

LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.
[/quote]
Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."[/quote]

There is so much facepalm in this statement.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:10 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
To be fair, she only said that she HAD lived in CA. It does make her constant repetition of that fact seem a bit silly though. Also, she thinks LA is Central CA so...


LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."


BearsGrl, maybe you can change the wiki pages for Southern California and Central California. These pages seem to be as confused as the other people in this thread. Your wisdom should be spread to correct this myth about LA being in southern California.


In terms of legal markets, if someone would like to mention a city between LA and SF that would make it a Central CA city of contention, have at it.

That's like saying OC is LA County. Anyone that lives in OC would never want to be considered LA County. And people from SD County would never want to be considered LA.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I stand by my contention that UCI will be a solid school, on par with UCLA/USC and such.

This doesn't matter. OCI for c/o 2015 is in fall 2013. Without biglaw monies, how u gonna pay off 200k in a timely fashion?


Why are you assuming that they won't? Just because UCI isn't ranked doesn't mean that it's not on a track to make it BigLaw worthy.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt? Sure.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt out of OCI? If they want PI, then sure.
Otherwise, no.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:18 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I stand by my contention that UCI will be a solid school, on par with UCLA/USC and such.

This doesn't matter. OCI for c/o 2015 is in fall 2013. Without biglaw monies, how u gonna pay off 200k in a timely fashion?


Why are you assuming that they won't? Just because UCI isn't ranked doesn't mean that it's not on a track to make it BigLaw worthy.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt? Sure.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt out of OCI? If the want PI, then sure.
Otherwise, no.

This is nonsensical.


I know people from Chapman that also succeed.
Uh oh.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I stand by my contention that UCI will be a solid school, on par with UCLA/USC and such.

This doesn't matter. OCI for c/o 2015 is in fall 2013. Without biglaw monies, how u gonna pay off 200k in a timely fashion?


Why are you assuming that they won't? Just because UCI isn't ranked doesn't mean that it's not on a track to make it BigLaw worthy.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt? Sure.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt out of OCI? If the want PI, then sure.
Otherwise, no.

Every law school in the country claims to be "on the rise." So good luck discerning which ones actually are as a 0L.

And even if you could, law schools build reputations over many years. I think my own school will be better a decade from now than it is now. I think it may even be better when I graduate than it was when I entered. But as a student here now, I am not seeing huge improvements from year to year. It is incremental. No one should make a decision about a law school because it is "on the rise," and those who do are pretty stupid.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:23 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I know people from Chapman that also succeed.
Uh oh.

What's a Chapman? Is that the Cali TTT that is on it's way to being the next Boalt? I heard in California it goes Stanford/Boalt/Chapman in the same "pool" or "realm." Not now of course, but I lump Chapman in because it is going to be in that same general category in a few years. Is that right?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just some idiot 2L from the Midwest. What could I possibly know about law school that some 0L paralegal in Chicago doesn't know?

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:24 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."


BearsGrl, maybe you can change the wiki pages for Southern California and Central California. These pages seem to be as confused as the other people in this thread. Your wisdom should be spread to correct this myth about LA being in southern California.


In terms of legal markets, if someone would like to mention a city between LA and SF that would make it a Central CA city of contention, have at it.

That's like saying OC is LA County. Anyone that lives in OC would never want to be considered LA County. And people from SD County would never want to be considered LA.

Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I stand by my contention that UCI will be a solid school, on par with UCLA/USC and such.

This doesn't matter. OCI for c/o 2015 is in fall 2013. Without biglaw monies, how u gonna pay off 200k in a timely fashion?


Why are you assuming that they won't? Just because UCI isn't ranked doesn't mean that it's not on a track to make it BigLaw worthy.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt? Sure.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt out of OCI? If the want PI, then sure.
Otherwise, no.

Every law school in the country claims to be "on the rise." So good luck discerning which ones actually are as a 0L.

And even if you could, law schools build reputations over many years. I think my own school will be better a decade from now than it is now. I think it may even be better when I graduate than it was when I entered. But as a student here now, I am not seeing huge improvements from year to year. It is incremental. No one should make a decision about a law school because it is "on the rise," and those who do are pretty stupid.


I don't think that there are a ton of schools on the rise. I think that UCI is a new school that will be on par with UCLA/USC. That is a different distinction. UCI is already getting a solid reputation and it's not ranked. You don't have to agree with me, that's ok.

I have watched the school from when it announced it was going to be opening, just out of general curiosity since I lived/worked in the area. Plus, UC schools are their own beasts.

As I said, check back in a few years, but I strongly think that UCI is fast-tracking itself to an upper echelon type school, at least as a feeder school into LA/SD and perhaps NorCal. For now, I don't know the NorCal reach because I think that is something that will grow over time. I would firmly soon put it on par with other LA-based schools and I think that's a strong asset to it as it is just becoming accredited.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:28 pm

As a Midwesterner, I've found this thread to be very enlightening. My ignorant self always thought LA was southern California. Glad I have been informed otherwise so as to not make an ass out of myself when talking to my friends who went to USC for school.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I know people from Chapman that also succeed.
Uh oh.

What's a Chapman? Is that the Cali TTT that is on it's way to being the next Boalt? I heard in California it goes Stanford/Boalt/Chapman in the same "pool" or "realm." Not now of course, but I lump Chapman in because it is going to be in that same general category in a few years. Is that right?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just some idiot 2L from the Midwest. What could I possibly know about law school that some 0L paralegal in Chicago doesn't know?


:shock:

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:29 pm

ITT: Assburgersgrl claims LA is central californa. That isn't even the dumbest thing she has said here.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], somebodyelse and 6 guests