Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:33 pm

funinthesun393 wrote:Yes :( Unfortunately they are at sticker. I would definitely like to receive some type of scholarship and save money so I am trying to negotiate right now, however money is not as big a factor for me and my personal situation.

Why? Sticker at any of these schools is financially idiotic. I guess if you are a trust fund baby and 200k is nothing to you, then go for it. But that's a lot of dough for a degree that really doesn't give you great prospects at a job that you want at a salary you can manage.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:40 pm

aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I worked in the Irvine Center Towers. 10 stories.

Sorry. I've read your last answer to Aekea's post and it makes no sense. You're saying that the commute from LA is ridiculously long, and that's true. But aekea was saying that the commute from Tustin isn't long at all, which is also true. This makes your point:

BearsGrl wrote:I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County


irrelevant. This is what aekea was responding to, but you then went back to saying just how far it is to get from LA to Irvine.


My point was that Irvine IS a corporate hub whereas Tustin is not. That doesn't diminish Tustin as a city. Tustin is a nice city. You and aekea are arguing a nonexistent talking point. Or at least one you perceived. It has nothing to do with the commute to either city. I was merely making a distinction between Tustin and Irvine. Obviously Tustin and Irvine folks would travel to each other if they needed to. That wasn't the point. The point was that Irvine is a corporate hub.

And just because you work in a 10 story building does not mean that your building is the tallest building in Irvine. If the following is still up-to-date, the following proves my point: http://www.ocalmanac.com/Structures/st01.htm and http://www.emporis.com/city/irvine-ca-u ... s/highrise. The implied context was that you can move to cities in CA where there is height that is condo/living based with little to no corporate life or you can move to cities that have a mix of height and condo living, which signifies corporate work. You can compare the city of Irvine along the Coast to other Coastal cities in FL and Irvine is more of a corporate hub than those other cities. Height doesn't always equal corporate work. That was my point.

I'm not arguing a non existent "talking point". I realize that you weren't talking about the commute from Tustin to Irvine. I mentioned it because I thought it was odd that you felt the need to point out that Irvine is a corporate hub, while Tustin is not. Tustin has nothing to do with anything here. It's like if I said, "Cardozo is in Manhattan which is a business center, unlike Queens." That would be a completely pointless thing to say. So my problem with you making the distinction between Tustin and Irvine, is that it's one that doesn't need to be made. It has no purpose. It's just a useless empty observation.

I will concede, however, that Irvine is more of a corporate hub for California legal work than Coastal Florida. Excellent point.


Wouldn't they not be the same? I've never been to NY but is there a Manhattan County? I've never heard of one.

My point was that Tustin doesn't have a corporate hub in terms of national brands that have their corporate HQs there. Were you trying to say that Tustin has corporate HQs within the Tustin city limits? My main point was that since Tustin isn't known for its national HQs, people would look to Irvine for those opportunities. I didn't mean that Irvine and Tustin were comparable in terms of opportunities, merely that both cities could offer access to legal opportunities period, with Irvine offering more access to a corporate climate.

Moving back towards the actual topic. :D The poster should choose Irvine or Loyola based on his networking ability. UC-Irvine has a solid reputation within CA.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 pm

BearsGrl wrote:solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities

lol... The silliness of this thread is incredible.

Also, how are we over a page in and people aren't saying, "Pepperdine/Loyola/UCI at sticker? Umm no..."

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities

lol... The silliness of this thread is incredible.

Also, how are we over a page in and people aren't saying, "Pepperdine/Loyola/UCI at sticker? Umm no..."


Perhaps because you're in the Midwest and can't comment on CA schools? There is nothing wrong with UCI. UCI has a solid reputation and is on track to be a solid school for CA. I don't get the UCI hatred, other than it has no alumni network. However, it's a newbie school on the fast-track to being a good school.

This person really wants to go to law school and these are his options. UCI is a solid option regardless of what he wants. Will he have to scrape by? Maybe. However, the poster asked which is the best out of the mix above. So either you can tell him "don't go" which you have done or offer constructive criticism.

And I seriously don't mean to come off offensive with my tone, but the poster asked a legitimate question so instead of being mocked, he should get what he asked.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:56 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
My point was that Irvine IS a corporate hub whereas Tustin is not. That doesn't diminish Tustin as a city. Tustin is a nice city. You and aekea are arguing a nonexistent talking point. Or at least one you perceived. It has nothing to do with the commute to either city. I was merely making a distinction between Tustin and Irvine. Obviously Tustin and Irvine folks would travel to each other if they needed to. That wasn't the point. The point was that Irvine is a corporate hub.

And just because you work in a 10 story building does not mean that your building is the tallest building in Irvine. If the following is still up-to-date, the following proves my point: http://www.ocalmanac.com/Structures/st01.htm and http://www.emporis.com/city/irvine-ca-u ... s/highrise. The implied context was that you can move to cities in CA where there is height that is condo/living based with little to no corporate life or you can move to cities that have a mix of height and condo living, which signifies corporate work. You can compare the city of Irvine along the Coast to other Coastal cities in FL and Irvine is more of a corporate hub than those other cities. Height doesn't always equal corporate work. That was my point.

I'm not arguing a non existent "talking point". I realize that you weren't talking about the commute from Tustin to Irvine. I mentioned it because I thought it was odd that you felt the need to point out that Irvine is a corporate hub, while Tustin is not. Tustin has nothing to do with anything here. It's like if I said, "Cardozo is in Manhattan which is a business center, unlike Queens." That would be a completely pointless thing to say. So my problem with you making the distinction between Tustin and Irvine, is that it's one that doesn't need to be made. It has no purpose. It's just a useless empty observation.

I will concede, however, that Irvine is more of a corporate hub for California legal work than Coastal Florida. Excellent point.


Wouldn't they not be the same? I've never been to NY but is there a Manhattan County? I've never heard of one.

My point was that Tustin doesn't have a corporate hub in terms of national brands that have their corporate HQs there. Were you trying to say that Tustin has corporate HQs within the Tustin city limits? My main point was that since Tustin isn't known for its national HQs, people would look to Irvine for those opportunities. I didn't mean that Irvine and Tustin were comparable in terms of opportunities, merely that both cities could offer access to legal opportunities period, with Irvine offering more access to a corporate climate.

Moving back towards the actual topic. :D The poster should choose Irvine or Loyola based on his networking ability. UC-Irvine has a solid reputation within CA.

Haha you caught me. This is exactly what I was trying to say.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:02 pm

BearsGrl wrote:There is nothing wrong with UCI. UCI has a solid reputation and is on track to be a solid school for CA. I don't get the UCI hatred, other than it has no alumni network. However, it's a newbie school on the fast-track to being a good school.

I don't disagree. UCI is a fine school, it is just insanely expensive. Well over 200k once all is said and done. Most people wouldn't even recommend USC/UCLA at that kind of price. Have fun paying off over 200k without a biglaw job. I'm not disparaging UCI here, but it's pretty basic math.

So again, unless OP can pay for almost all of it in cash and doesn't care too much about blowing 200k for a degree that isn't worth anywhere near that much, it's a bad decision.

Even a Midwestern bumpkin like me can figure that out.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:03 pm

[/quote]

Wouldn't they not be the same? I've never been to NY but is there a Manhattan County? I've never heard of one.

My point was that Tustin doesn't have a corporate hub in terms of national brands that have their corporate HQs there. Were you trying to say that Tustin has corporate HQs within the Tustin city limits? My main point was that since Tustin isn't known for its national HQs, people would look to Irvine for those opportunities. I didn't mean that Irvine and Tustin were comparable in terms of opportunities, merely that both cities could offer access to legal opportunities period, with Irvine offering more access to a corporate climate.

Moving back towards the actual topic. :D The poster should choose Irvine or Loyola based on his networking ability. UC-Irvine has a solid reputation within CA.[/quote]
Haha you caught me. This is exactly what I was trying to say.[/quote]

You mock it, but you were trying to compare Tustin to Irvine in some way, shape or form. I'm just trying to understand which way that was. You said that people that were from Tustin would go to Irvine and Irvine to Tustin. Obviously this is a given, however how does that have anything to do with corporate positions?

Didn't know that OC was such a conundrum to folks. :?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:There is nothing wrong with UCI. UCI has a solid reputation and is on track to be a solid school for CA. I don't get the UCI hatred, other than it has no alumni network. However, it's a newbie school on the fast-track to being a good school.

I don't disagree. UCI is a fine school, it is just insanely expensive. Well over 200k once all is said and done. Most people wouldn't even recommend USC/UCLA at that kind of price. Have fun paying off over 200k without a biglaw job. I'm not disparaging UCI here, but it's pretty basic math.

So again, unless OP can pay for almost all of it in cash and doesn't care too much about blowing 200k for a degree that isn't worth anywhere near that much, it's a bad decision.

Even a Midwestern bumpkin like me can figure that out.


Yeah, but I'd put UCI in the same pool as other schools. I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools. This is essentially how the UG schools get judged too so I really think that rankings don't play that much of a big deal in the hierarchy of things, other than access. And obviously that's a huge consideration.

But yes, I agree that going into that much debt is something to take a pause over. But out of his options, if law school is what he wants, UCI I think is the best long-term option.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:12 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Yeah, but I'd put UCI in the same pool as other schools. I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools. This is essentially how the UG schools get judged too so I really think that rankings don't play that much of a big deal in the hierarchy of things, other than access. And obviously that's a huge consideration.

I may not be as knowledgeable about the Cali market as other markets, but I know for a fact this is not true. UCI is not a peer of USC and UCLA. As far as I'm aware, they're not even peers for undergrad, but I'll defer to people from California on this one. But they are certainly not peers for law school, and it is a huge mistake for anyone to claim they are. To make this claim based on the hierarchy of undergraduate "prestige" shows a lack of understanding for how legal hiring works.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:13 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Yeah, but I'd put UCI in the same pool as other schools. I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools. This is essentially how the UG schools get judged too so I really think that rankings don't play that much of a big deal in the hierarchy of things, other than access. And obviously that's a huge consideration.

But yes, I agree that going into that much debt is something to take a pause over. But out of his options, if law school is what he wants, UCI I think is the best long-term option.


Blatant USC/UCLA trolling.

---

You know...except for the fact that their UG programs are all relatively similarly ranked, thus employers viewing them equally.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby top30man » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:14 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:There is nothing wrong with UCI. UCI has a solid reputation and is on track to be a solid school for CA. I don't get the UCI hatred, other than it has no alumni network. However, it's a newbie school on the fast-track to being a good school.

I don't disagree. UCI is a fine school, it is just insanely expensive. Well over 200k once all is said and done. Most people wouldn't even recommend USC/UCLA at that kind of price. Have fun paying off over 200k without a biglaw job. I'm not disparaging UCI here, but it's pretty basic math.

So again, unless OP can pay for almost all of it in cash and doesn't care too much about blowing 200k for a degree that isn't worth anywhere near that much, it's a bad decision.

Even a Midwestern bumpkin like me can figure that out.


Yeah, but I'd put UCI in the same pool as other schools. I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools. This is essentially how the UG schools get judged too so I really think that rankings don't play that much of a big deal in the hierarchy of things, other than access. And obviously that's a huge consideration.

But yes, I agree that going into that much debt is something to take a pause over. But out of his options, if law school is what he wants, UCI I think is the best long-term option.

I don't think that you can make the claim that UCI is as good as USC and UCLA. And even if they were equal, those schools aren't worth sticker.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:I may not be as knowledgeable about the Cali market as other markets, but I know for a fact this is not true. UCI is not a peer of USC and UCLA. As far as I'm aware, they're not even peers for undergrad, but I'll defer to people from California on this one. But they are certainly not peers for law school, and it is a huge mistake for anyone to claim they are. To make this claim based on the hierarchy of undergraduate "prestige" shows a lack of understanding for how legal hiring works.


They aren't. They aren't far off, but with identical candidates, Bruins/Trojans are pulling the job before an Anteater does (unless we are discussing hard sciences particularly chemistry or biochemistry, in which case Irvine probably wins out).

And, Romo pulls through in the clutch.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15456
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm

BearsGrl wrote:You mock it, but you were trying to compare Tustin to Irvine in some way, shape or form. I'm just trying to understand which way that was. You said that people that were from Tustin would go to Irvine and Irvine to Tustin. Obviously this is a given, however how does that have anything to do with corporate positions?

Didn't know that OC was such a conundrum to folks. :?


It was you who compared Irvine to Tustin, suggesting in response to Mr. Anon's LOLing at your tall buildings comment that Irvine is in fact a corporate hub unlike Tustin. You used this to then conclude that UCI is a solid option for the OP.

The point everyone else is trying to make is that it doesn't matter where in the OC UCI is located. No one's advice would change in any way if UCI was located in Anaheim, or Garden Grove, or Huntington Beach, or anywhere else nearby.

BearsGrl wrote: I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools.


You seem awfully sure. UCI certainly seems to have more upside than a Loyola or a Pepperdine but I certainly haven't seen enough data to be as confident as you.

romothesavior wrote: UCI is not a peer of USC and UCLA. As far as I'm aware, they're not even peers for undergrad, but I'll defer to people from California on this one.


As a UCI alum I can confirm this.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:18 pm

I agree with bearsgrl. Go to UCI. It is very close to the Irvine Spectrum: a wonderful outdoor mall that will afford law students there with numerous shopping opportunities not available to law students at other schools. Additionally Dave and Busters is very close by. If you take Laguna Canyon road then you are only fifteen minutes away from where they filmed the popular MTV show Laguna Beach: The Real O.C. Entertainment law, duh.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:20 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Wouldn't they not be the same? I've never been to NY but is there a Manhattan County? I've never heard of one.

My point was that Tustin doesn't have a corporate hub in terms of national brands that have their corporate HQs there. Were you trying to say that Tustin has corporate HQs within the Tustin city limits? My main point was that since Tustin isn't known for its national HQs, people would look to Irvine for those opportunities. I didn't mean that Irvine and Tustin were comparable in terms of opportunities, merely that both cities could offer access to legal opportunities period, with Irvine offering more access to a corporate climate.

Moving back towards the actual topic. :D The poster should choose Irvine or Loyola based on his networking ability. UC-Irvine has a solid reputation within CA.

Haha you caught me. This is exactly what I was trying to say.


You mock it, but you were trying to compare Tustin to Irvine in some way, shape or form. I'm just trying to understand which way that was. You said that people that were from Tustin would go to Irvine and Irvine to Tustin. Obviously this is a given, however how does that have anything to do with corporate positions?

Didn't know that OC was such a conundrum to folks. :?

I was definitely not trying to do this. But we seem to be talking past each other so I'm not surprised that that's what you think is going on. My point is that there is no reason to compare Tustin to Irvine at all. Tustin has nothing to do with this situation. I don't know why you feel the need to distinguish Irvine from other cities in the OC.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Yeah, but I'd put UCI in the same pool as other schools. I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools. This is essentially how the UG schools get judged too so I really think that rankings don't play that much of a big deal in the hierarchy of things, other than access. And obviously that's a huge consideration.

I may not be as knowledgeable about the Cali market as other markets, but I know for a fact this is not true. UCI is not a peer of USC and UCLA. As far as I'm aware, they're not even peers for undergrad, but I'll defer to people from California on this one. But they are certainly not peers for law school, and it is a huge mistake for anyone to claim they are. To make this claim based on the hierarchy of undergraduate "prestige" shows a lack of understanding for how legal hiring works.


As I said, I've lived in CA before. That's why I'm commenting on this specific issue. And yes, UCLA/USC/UCI are considered in the same realm. I was grouping schools in a state context. UCB/Stanford are tops. UCLA/USC/UCI are viewed in that second group. Obviously, Irvine is the third in that group, but I find that general point meaningless. If you would like to put it at UCB/Stanford, then UCLA/USC then UCI then so be it. I don't see the general difference in my grouping and what you said. I merely put them in a similar pot as I am confident that UCI is on a track to be on par with UCLA/USC in the legal world and it's not far that they will be. As I said, they are new. Any new school is not going to be on the same level, hence my general statements on the matter.

These are all silly talking points as any person that has ever lived in CA knows the general hierarchy system involved.
That's why I say with the utmost confidence that UCI is a solid option for the person as I know it's general reputation in the LA/OC area and know that its reputation would stretch if the person wanted to eventually move elsewhere in the state. CA isn't as regional as everyone thinks it is. People within the state are always traveling back and forth from SF to LA and so on. A UC school such as Irvine will carry weight up North. That's not to say that I would take it over a Northern CA school, but a lateral move is just fine.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:28 pm

top30man wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:There is nothing wrong with UCI. UCI has a solid reputation and is on track to be a solid school for CA. I don't get the UCI hatred, other than it has no alumni network. However, it's a newbie school on the fast-track to being a good school.

I don't disagree. UCI is a fine school, it is just insanely expensive. Well over 200k once all is said and done. Most people wouldn't even recommend USC/UCLA at that kind of price. Have fun paying off over 200k without a biglaw job. I'm not disparaging UCI here, but it's pretty basic math.

So again, unless OP can pay for almost all of it in cash and doesn't care too much about blowing 200k for a degree that isn't worth anywhere near that much, it's a bad decision.

Even a Midwestern bumpkin like me can figure that out.


Yeah, but I'd put UCI in the same pool as other schools. I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools. This is essentially how the UG schools get judged too so I really think that rankings don't play that much of a big deal in the hierarchy of things, other than access. And obviously that's a huge consideration.

But yes, I agree that going into that much debt is something to take a pause over. But out of his options, if law school is what he wants, UCI I think is the best long-term option.

I don't think that you can make the claim that UCI is as good as USC and UCLA. And even if they were equal, those schools aren't worth sticker.


I never claimed that UCI in its current state was as good as UCLA and USC. That is what has been inferred, but that is not what I stated.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:30 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I never claimed that UCI in its current state was as good as UCLA and USC. That is what has been inferred, but that is not what I stated.


BearsGrl wrote:And yes, UCLA/USC/UCI are considered in the same realm.


LOL

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:You mock it, but you were trying to compare Tustin to Irvine in some way, shape or form. I'm just trying to understand which way that was. You said that people that were from Tustin would go to Irvine and Irvine to Tustin. Obviously this is a given, however how does that have anything to do with corporate positions?

Didn't know that OC was such a conundrum to folks. :?


It was you who compared Irvine to Tustin, suggesting in response to Mr. Anon's LOLing at your tall buildings comment that Irvine is in fact a corporate hub unlike Tustin. You used this to then conclude that UCI is a solid option for the OP.

The point everyone else is trying to make is that it doesn't matter where in the OC UCI is located. No one's advice would change in any way if UCI was located in Anaheim, or Garden Grove, or Huntington Beach, or anywhere else nearby.

BearsGrl wrote: I think you have UCB/Stanford, then you're going to have UCI/UCLA/USC. Regardless of what US News does, that is how the average employer is going to view the schools.


You seem awfully sure. UCI certainly seems to have more upside than a Loyola or a Pepperdine but I certainly haven't seen enough data to be as confident as you.

romothesavior wrote: UCI is not a peer of USC and UCLA. As far as I'm aware, they're not even peers for undergrad, but I'll defer to people from California on this one.


As a UCI alum I can confirm this.


I understand what was stated, but I never made the claim that it mattered that UCI was in Irvine. I would say that being in Irvine puts you closer than other OC cities though if someone wants access to LA opportunities. Time is precious in CA and that's all I generally meant.

As far as the UCI assessment, I never said that UCI was UCLA and USC. I said that legally, they are on the track to be in that peer group. Of course they're not right now. It's a newbie school. However, UCI is a solid name for someone to graduate with on their graduate diploma. Period.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I agree with bearsgrl. Go to UCI. It is very close to the Irvine Spectrum: a wonderful outdoor mall that will afford law students there with numerous shopping opportunities not available to law students at other schools. Additionally Dave and Busters is very close by. If you take Laguna Canyon road then you are only fifteen minutes away from where they filmed the popular MTV show Laguna Beach: The Real O.C. Entertainment law, duh.


Don't hate on Laguna Beach. It's gorge.

Who cares what malls the city offers? South Coast Plaza is the place to be. All law scholars should avoid it.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I never claimed that UCI in its current state was as good as UCLA and USC. That is what has been inferred, but that is not what I stated.


BearsGrl wrote:And yes, UCLA/USC/UCI are considered in the same realm.


LOL


So to you, same realm means the same reputation? Logic fail.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I never claimed that UCI in its current state was as good as UCLA and USC. That is what has been inferred, but that is not what I stated.


BearsGrl wrote:And yes, UCLA/USC/UCI are considered in the same realm.


LOL

She is definitely backpedaling.

BearsGrl, no one ITT agrees with the position you've taken. You made a bold statement and now you're backing off of it, but even your "They're in the same general realm" claim is just not correct and I'd be surprised if you could find anybody who agrees with it. If UCI has "peers" in Cali right now, they are Hastings and Davis, not USC and UCLA.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby top30man » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I never claimed that UCI in its current state was as good as UCLA and USC. That is what has been inferred, but that is not what I stated.


BearsGrl wrote:And yes, UCLA/USC/UCI are considered in the same realm.


LOL

She is definitely backpedaling.

BearsGrl, no one ITT agrees with the position you've taken. You made a bold statement and now you're backing off of it, but even your "They're in the same general realm" claim is just not correct and I'd be surprised if you could find anybody who agrees with it. If UCI has "peers" in Cali right now, they are Hastings and Davis, not USC and UCLA.


This is so credited. Just as Davis and Hastings aren't worth 200k, neither is UCI.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm

BearsGrl wrote:So to you, same realm means the same reputation? Logic fail.

You said they're in the "same realm" and the "same pool" and have tried to equate them for the past page or so. Maybe you meant something other than what you actually said, but I don't think we're having any issues with the English language here. Everyone appears to have interpreted your comments the same way. Either you're just having trouble communicating, or you're waffling.

Also, you're arguing with yourself. Nobody said UCI isn't "solid," so you can stop repeating it ad naseum. All we're saying is that is isn't on par with USC/UCLA, and it isn't worth 200k+.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I never claimed that UCI in its current state was as good as UCLA and USC. That is what has been inferred, but that is not what I stated.


BearsGrl wrote:And yes, UCLA/USC/UCI are considered in the same realm.


LOL

She is definitely backpedaling.

BearsGrl, no one ITT agrees with the position you've taken. You made a bold statement and now you're backing off of it, but even your "They're in the same general realm" claim is just not correct and I'd be surprised if you could find anybody who agrees with it. If UCI has "peers" in Cali right now, they are Hastings and Davis, not USC and UCLA.


Haha - No, you assume that I meant something that I didn't. If you thought that I meant that UCI was the same as UCLA/USC because I generally grouped them together, that's on you. Not me. Any person that lives in CA would understand what I meant by that. You don't live in the state and therefore wouldn't understand it. No biggie.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests