Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up bearsgrl. The data and examples you have given to support your claim have been quite informative. TLS is too often full of baseless conjecture and unsupported assertions, so I am glad you have risen above that fray and brought something substantive to the table.

Hell, with all this information I might have to head out to Californeeway and open up one of them there law schools. Sounds like a lucrative business, and in just a few years it could be on par with USC/UCLA!

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
LA is Central CA as far as major markets. This isn't something that people go "hmmm" over.

Well, I am people and I'm hmmming. LA is not Central CA. It is Southern California. It is most definitely Southern California. San Diego is also Southern CA. The fact that LA is between San Diego and San Francisco does not make it "Central CA as far as major markets."


There is so much facepalm in this statement.

Haha, you got me BearsGrl. I am failing so hard over here it's ridiculous.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:This doesn't matter. OCI for c/o 2015 is in fall 2013. Without biglaw monies, how u gonna pay off 200k in a timely fashion?


Why are you assuming that they won't? Just because UCI isn't ranked doesn't mean that it's not on a track to make it BigLaw worthy.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt? Sure.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt out of OCI? If the want PI, then sure.
Otherwise, no.

This is nonsensical.


I know people from Chapman that also succeed.
Uh oh.


Hi BearsGrl. OCI =/= UCI. Radlaw was making a completely different point than the one I think you thought he was making (based on how you responded).

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:34 pm

BearsGrl, maybe you can change the wiki pages for Southern California and Central California. These pages seem to be as confused as the other people in this thread. Your wisdom should be spread to correct this myth about LA being in southern California.[/quote]

In terms of legal markets, if someone would like to mention a city between LA and SF that would make it a Central CA city of contention, have at it.

That's like saying OC is LA County. Anyone that lives in OC would never want to be considered LA County. And people from SD County would never want to be considered LA.[/quote]
Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.[/quote]

You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay, thanks for clearing that up bearsgrl. The data and examples you have given to support your claim have been quite informative. TLS is too often full of baseless conjecture and unsupported assertions, so I am glad you have risen above that fray and brought something substantive to the table.

Hell, with all this information I might have to head out to Californeeway and open up one of them there law schools. Sounds like a lucrative business, and in just a few years it could be on par with USC/UCLA!


Not my fault if you don't understand the UC system. :D

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Why are you assuming that they won't? Just because UCI isn't ranked doesn't mean that it's not on a track to make it BigLaw worthy.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt? Sure.
Do I think that someone should be concerned with $200,000 debt out of OCI? If the want PI, then sure.
Otherwise, no.[/quote]
This is nonsensical.[/quote]

I know people from Chapman that also succeed.
Uh oh.[/quote]

Hi BearsGrl. OCI =/= UCI. Radlaw was making a completely different point than the one I think you thought he was making (based on how you responded).[/quote]

I apologize. I did misread.
However, I managed to do just fine finding internships (non-legal) in my business-centered field of work. My school also offered on-campus firm/organization meet and greets where you could hand your resume over and network. If you aren't going to hustle in law school, then don't go.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

BearsGrl wrote:However, I managed to do just fine finding internships (non-legal) in my business-centered field of work. My school also offered on-campus firm/organization meet and greets where you could hand your resume over and network. If you aren't going to hustle in law school, then don't go.

OMG CONGRATS THATS SO AWESOME AND RELEVANT

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby padawanphil » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Bearsgrl - next time you think about posting just remember - it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. HTH

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:43 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.


You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:44 pm

padawanphil wrote:Bearsgrl - next time you think about posting just remember - it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. HTH


Because this forum is always so serious? Ok. :shock:

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 pm

aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.


You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.


HA HA HA HA HA Oh my. Because if I lived in Manhattan Beach, I would commute to SD for work? Uhhh ok. *facepalm*

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby padawanphil » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 pm

It's just that literally every time you post you turn me into this guy

Image

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:48 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.


You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.


HA HA HA HA HA Oh my. Because if I lived in Manhattan Beach, I would commute to SD for work? Uhhh ok. *facepalm*

You wouldn't do that? I hear the buildings are really tall there though...

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:49 pm

aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.


You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.

But it is worth noting that when you say "realm" you don't mean like right now. You mean in the future. So like, San Diego and LA are clearly peers, but Santa Barbara isn't quite in the SoCal realm yet. All you're saying is that you think it will be in a few years.

This shouldn't have to be stated, but apparently we have to do so.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:50 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
This is nonsensical.


I know people from Chapman that also succeed.
Uh oh.


Hi BearsGrl. OCI =/= UCI. Radlaw was making a completely different point than the one I think you thought he was making (based on how you responded).



I apologize. I did misread.
However, I managed to do just fine finding internships (non-legal) in my business-centered field of work. My school also offered on-campus firm/organization meet and greets where you could hand your resume over and network. If you aren't going to hustle in law school, then don't go.


This is non-responsive to the point he was making. His point was the same as the one I had mentioned: biglaw hiring happens in the fall of 2L year. UCI's future rep does not matter after that point to most people trying to snag biglaw. Thus, the current picture of UCI being an unknown commodity, to both students and law firms, makes attending at sticker a risk.

And of course you should hustle. But the entire point was that UCI not being on par with UCLA/USC RIGHT NOW (or within a year from now) is the relevant piece of info in terms of biglaw hiring for those choosing law school to start in the fall.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:50 pm

BearsGrl wrote:HA HA HA HA HA Oh my. Because if I lived in Manhattan Beach, I would commute to SD for work? Uhhh ok. *facepalm*

Yeah I mean, how can anyone call Illinois and Ohio both the "Midwest?" It's not like anyone would commute from Dayton to Peoria for work. AMIDOINGITRITE?

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby btw384 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Image

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:51 pm

You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.[/quote]
BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.[/quote]

HA HA HA HA HA Oh my. Because if I lived in Manhattan Beach, I would commute to SD for work? Uhhh ok. *facepalm*[/quote]
You wouldn't do that? I hear the buildings are really tall there though...[/quote]

Yes, it's smart on CA gas prices to travel from MB to SD. Totally.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Yes, it's smart on CA gas prices to travel from MB to SD. Totally.

What in the holy hell are you talking about...

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.


You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.

But it is worth noting that when you say "realm" you don't mean like right now. You mean in the future. So like, San Diego and LA are clearly peers, but Santa Barbara isn't quite in the SoCal realm yet. All you're saying is that you think it will be in a few years.

This shouldn't have to be stated, but apparently we have to do so.


So now realm means time? More reading comprehension fail, even if you were mocking.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby padawanphil » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Yes, it's smart on CA gas prices to travel from MB to SD. Totally.

What in the holy hell are you talking about...

You didn't know that gas prices are the defining factor in determining the boundaries of a region?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:54 pm

BearsGrl wrote:So now realm means time? More reading comprehension fail, even if you were mocking.

You and sarcasm don't get along so well, do you?

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
aekea wrote:Yes, there are no major legal markets in between LA and SF so naturally, LA is Central CA :roll: . Look, I have no problem with you saying LA is the central legal market in CA. But you can't say it is Central CA because that is already a thing, with a meaning that you're completely dismissing. LA is not part of Central CA. It's not. Your point that people would be pissed if you said OC is LA County is actually in support of the point I'm making. You can't say LA is Central CA because it's busy being Southern CA. People would be angry if you said one was the other.


You are talking given talking points. I find this comical. This is a legal forum. Of course I'm talking about LA being Central in terms of legal market possibilities. I can't believe this is even a matter of contention. :shock:

No. LA is LA. It's its own entity. Just like Santa Barbara is its own unexplainable city. LA is so far from SoCal in terms of personality appeal that it's just silly to compare the two. People in SD don't go "Hey, I'd love to leave my SD job and go work in LA." They don't do that because the lifestyles are entirely different.

BearsGrl, think of Southern CA as a realm. A realm that can hold not one, but many cities. In the realm of SoCal you can find San Diego, Los Angeles AND the mythical unexplainable city of Santa Barbara. I'm not saying they are the same, I'm just saying they are in the same realm. Hope that helps.

But it is worth noting that when you say "realm" you don't mean like right now. You mean in the future. So like, San Diego and LA are clearly peers, but Santa Barbara isn't quite in the SoCal realm yet. All you're saying is that you think it will be in a few years.

This shouldn't have to be stated, but apparently we have to do so.

This is so obvious I'm a little pissed off that you even explained it.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:58 pm

I apologize. I did misread.
However, I managed to do just fine finding internships (non-legal) in my business-centered field of work. My school also offered on-campus firm/organization meet and greets where you could hand your resume over and network. If you aren't going to hustle in law school, then don't go.[/quote]

This is non-responsive to the point he was making. His point was the same as the one I had mentioned: biglaw hiring happens in the fall of 2L year. UCI's future rep does not matter after that point to most people trying to snag biglaw. Thus, the current picture of UCI being an unknown commodity, to both students and law firms, makes attending at sticker a risk.

And of course you should hustle. But the entire point was that UCI not being on par with UCLA/USC RIGHT NOW (or within a year from now) is the relevant piece of info in terms of biglaw hiring for those choosing law school to start in the fall.[/quote]

Since when was the OP talking about Big Law? That was not OP's contention. OP wanted a solid law firm that could get him access to entertainment law. I won't say who I met with, but let's just say that it was an entertainment industry (legal) individual and your access is through associate work with a firm that offers it as a specialty (you can lateral in to the position) or networking. He doesn't need Big Law for that.

I've always contended that right now UCI needs to grow, but he can go after a firm not at OCI. I also know someone in CA that deals with entertainment industry individuals as it concerns family issues. There are multiple ways to get involved. This person didn't go to an LA school.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: theorangewon, whippersnappery and 5 guests