Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
funinthesun393
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 am

Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby funinthesun393 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 pm

So these are the schools that I am considering for entertainment law right now.
I liked UC Irvine the best when I visited however Loyola and Pepperdine seem to have extensive entertainment law programs and alumni base in the field plus they are in LA.
I received some money from Cardozo do you think I could leverage for scholarship $$ from the other schools?

I'm completely torn at this point and could go either way, so any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated thank you!

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby splitbrain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Just to confirm: Pepperdine, Loyola, and UCI are all at sticker...?

funinthesun393
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby funinthesun393 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Yes :( Unfortunately they are at sticker. I would definitely like to receive some type of scholarship and save money so I am trying to negotiate right now, however money is not as big a factor for me and my personal situation.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby splitbrain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:17 pm

UCI by far on the basis that you want significantly better job prospects in general since none of your options will allow you to walk into entertainment law. Pepperdine and Loyola aren't even close to UCI in terms of results.

funinthesun393
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby funinthesun393 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 pm

So you feel strong results of UCI so far outweigh the benefits of a strong alumni network at Pepperdine/Loyola? I agree with you on that point.

I just worry that in looking at UCI's course catalog I didn't see one entertainment law class whereas at Pepperdine/Loyola they seem to have many classes in the field. Do you think this is important? Thanks!

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby MrAnon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:27 pm

If you want entertainment law you need to go to a better school. If you want entertainment business you don't need law school at all, in fact these may sabotage your attempt to break into it.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby splitbrain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:30 pm

funinthesun393 wrote:So you feel strong results of UCI so far outweigh the benefits of a strong alumni network at Pepperdine/Loyola? I agree with you on that point.

I just worry that in looking at UCI's course catalog I didn't see one entertainment law class whereas at Pepperdine/Loyola they seem to have many classes in the field. Do you think this is important? Thanks!

No, you still end up with a JD just like everyone else. Whether you took 1 or 20 entertainment law classes wouldn't make you more or less marketable.

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby btw384 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Just FYI: I don't know anything about any of the other schools, but UCI at sticker comes to about $215K total. That is without factoring in any tuition hikes, which are huge from year to year in California. Total COA at UCI could easily end up costing $240-250K. That is a crazy amount for any school, especially one without the proven track record of a T-14/T-6. UCI is solid for being a newer school, but I wouldn't touch it for anything close to sticker. I probably wouldn't touch it at half-price without some great ties to the area and in-state tuition.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:42 pm

funinthesun393 wrote:Yes :( Unfortunately they are at sticker. I would definitely like to receive some type of scholarship and save money so I am trying to negotiate right now, however money is not as big a factor for me and my personal situation.


UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities. Plus, the hustle is different than LA, but allows you access to both LA and OC markets. I think UC is the best option if you want to attend law school in the Fall.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:19 pm

btw384 wrote:Just FYI: I don't know anything about any of the other schools, but UCI at sticker comes to about $215K total. That is without factoring in any tuition hikes, which are huge from year to year in California. Total COA at UCI could easily end up costing $240-250K. That is a crazy amount for any school, especially one without the proven track record of a T-14/T-6. UCI is solid for being a newer school, but I wouldn't touch it for anything close to sticker. I probably wouldn't touch it at half-price without some great ties to the area and in-state tuition.

+1

There have been extended discussions about entertainment law here on TLS. The conclusion is that there are two ways to end up in entertainment law: (1) get great grades at HYS, and hope/pray; or (2) have amazing connections before attending law school - i.e., already know the people who will employ you.

Those schools might claim to have alumni in entertainment law, but those people probably had amazing conclusions and/or got amazingly (lottery-style) lucky - and that's pre-ITE. There are thousands of law students every year who want entertainment law, and it's a very small field.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:26 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
btw384 wrote:Just FYI: I don't know anything about any of the other schools, but UCI at sticker comes to about $215K total. That is without factoring in any tuition hikes, which are huge from year to year in California. Total COA at UCI could easily end up costing $240-250K. That is a crazy amount for any school, especially one without the proven track record of a T-14/T-6. UCI is solid for being a newer school, but I wouldn't touch it for anything close to sticker. I probably wouldn't touch it at half-price without some great ties to the area and in-state tuition.

+1

There have been extended discussions about entertainment law here on TLS. The conclusion is that there are two ways to end up in entertainment law: (1) get great grades at HYS, and hope/pray; or (2) have amazing connections before attending law school - i.e., already know the people who will employ you.

Those schools might claim to have alumni in entertainment law, but those people probably had amazing conclusions and/or got amazingly (lottery-style) lucky - and that's pre-ITE. There are thousands of law students every year who want entertainment law, and it's a very small field.


The same can be said for the sports industry, as it pertains to the legal field. There's a reason why non-legal based sports jobs are low-paying.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:29 pm

This is a flame post.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby MrAnon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:44 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
funinthesun393 wrote:Yes :( Unfortunately they are at sticker. I would definitely like to receive some type of scholarship and save money so I am trying to negotiate right now, however money is not as big a factor for me and my personal situation.


UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities. Plus, the hustle is different than LA, but allows you access to both LA and OC markets. I think UC is the best option if you want to attend law school in the Fall.


lol at lots of tall buildings. NYC has lots of tall buildings and leads the country in shitlaw jobs. Did you consider that?

funinthesun393
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby funinthesun393 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Thank you for all your interesting responses, this is my first time posting on here so I'm really glad to hear your comments good and bad.

I definitely understand those talking about entertainment law being difficult to break into and the concerns with UCI, I have so much to think about and appreciate more of your comments thanks!

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:14 pm

MrAnon wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
funinthesun393 wrote:Yes :( Unfortunately they are at sticker. I would definitely like to receive some type of scholarship and save money so I am trying to negotiate right now, however money is not as big a factor for me and my personal situation.


UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities. Plus, the hustle is different than LA, but allows you access to both LA and OC markets. I think UC is the best option if you want to attend law school in the Fall.


lol at lots of tall buildings. NYC has lots of tall buildings and leads the country in shitlaw jobs. Did you consider that?


Apparently, you've never been to Orange County. I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County. I thought this was a given statement, but apparently it needed to be explained.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:16 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities. Plus, the hustle is different than LA, but allows you access to both LA and OC markets. I think UC is the best option if you want to attend law school in the Fall.


lol at lots of tall buildings. NYC has lots of tall buildings and leads the country in shitlaw jobs. Did you consider that?


Apparently, you've never been to Orange County. I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County. I thought this was a given statement, but apparently it needed to be explained.

So, your point is that Irvine has tall buildings whereas other parts of the OC do not? Tustin and Irvine are part of the same business market because they're literally right next to each other. It doesn't matter where the "tall buildings" are. Someone in either city is going to be working in the same place. Not that any of this is relevant in the slightest, since OP's not looking at other schools in the OC.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:42 pm

aekea wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities. Plus, the hustle is different than LA, but allows you access to both LA and OC markets. I think UC is the best option if you want to attend law school in the Fall.


lol at lots of tall buildings. NYC has lots of tall buildings and leads the country in shitlaw jobs. Did you consider that?


Apparently, you've never been to Orange County. I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County. I thought this was a given statement, but apparently it needed to be explained.

So, your point is that Irvine has tall buildings whereas other parts of the OC do not? Tustin and Irvine are part of the same business market because they're literally right next to each other. It doesn't matter where the "tall buildings" are. Someone in either city is going to be working in the same place. Not that any of this is relevant in the slightest, since OP's not looking at other schools in the OC.


Time-wise, OC and LA County are worlds and lifestyles apart. So yes, building in Irvine are going to be different than the buildings in LA County. You're talking 2.5 hour car drive difference.

Of course, folks are working towards the same epicenter of Irvine, but folks living in LA will decide that the commute is not worth it day in and day out. Unless you've lived in CA, you have no clue about the commute situation. It's nothing like anywhere else. That's all I'm saying. And Irvine is a solid hub. I don't get why this is such an issue. There are firms all throughout OC, but there are significant hubs in Irvine. That's all that was stated.

I've worked in Tustin and in folks will tell you that where you live is prime. It's not common to have a 20 min. commute to work. Just because a city is close by on a map does not mean that it takes 10 mins. to get there.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:29 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Time-wise, OC and LA County are worlds and lifestyles apart. So yes, building in Irvine are going to be different than the buildings in LA County. You're talking 2.5 hour car drive difference.

Of course, folks are working towards the same epicenter of Irvine, but folks living in LA will decide that the commute is not worth it day in and day out. Unless you've lived in CA, you have no clue about the commute situation. It's nothing like anywhere else. That's all I'm saying. And Irvine is a solid hub. I don't get why this is such an issue. There are firms all throughout OC, but there are significant hubs in Irvine. That's all that was stated.

I've worked in Tustin and in folks will tell you that where you live is prime. It's not common to have a 20 min. commute to work. Just because a city is close by on a map does not mean that it takes 10 mins. to get there.


What the fuck does this have to do with anything? Are you saying you wouldn't recommend UCI if it was located in Tustin because it would be too far from the "tall buildings" (which are 10 stories high, BTW) of Irvine.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Time-wise, OC and LA County are worlds and lifestyles apart. So yes, building in Irvine are going to be different than the buildings in LA County. You're talking 2.5 hour car drive difference.

Of course, folks are working towards the same epicenter of Irvine, but folks living in LA will decide that the commute is not worth it day in and day out. Unless you've lived in CA, you have no clue about the commute situation. It's nothing like anywhere else. That's all I'm saying. And Irvine is a solid hub. I don't get why this is such an issue. There are firms all throughout OC, but there are significant hubs in Irvine. That's all that was stated.

I've worked in Tustin and in folks will tell you that where you live is prime. It's not common to have a 20 min. commute to work. Just because a city is close by on a map does not mean that it takes 10 mins. to get there.


What the fuck does this have to do with anything? Are you saying you wouldn't recommend UCI if it was located in Tustin because it would be too far from the "tall buildings" (which are 10 stories high, BTW) of Irvine.


Dude - Chill it with the cuss words.

Of course UCI should be of consideration for folks that live in Tustin. I am saying that there are corporate hubs in Irvine that people that are going/living by in LA proper that UCI students would have access to because the commute from LA to Irvine is really that long, depending on the time of day. Given gas prices and perhaps a non-paying job, people in LA are going to make the choice to not commute based on these facts. Period. Not everyone, but a significant portion.

Also, wherever you get this 10 stories idea from is hilarious.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 pm

I worked in the Irvine Center Towers. 10 stories.

Sorry. I've read your last answer to Aekea's post and it makes no sense. You're saying that the commute from LA is ridiculously long, and that's true. But aekea was saying that the commute from Tustin isn't long at all, which is also true. This makes your point:

BearsGrl wrote:I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County


irrelevant. This is what aekea was responding to, but you then went back to saying just how far it is to get from LA to Irvine.

pillowpet
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby pillowpet » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:03 pm

why not loyola? being in LA and having the ability to conveniently network is probably worth it. You'll have easy access to meet with attorneys for informational interviews on random days, rather than make a 2 hour commute into LA from irvine. i'd imagine that networking goes a long ways for entertainment law.

also, don't let the lack of entertainment law classes deter you from irvine. i'm sure taking some IP, licensing, and contract drafting classes will be sufficient.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I worked in the Irvine Center Towers. 10 stories.

Sorry. I've read your last answer to Aekea's post and it makes no sense. You're saying that the commute from LA is ridiculously long, and that's true. But aekea was saying that the commute from Tustin isn't long at all, which is also true. This makes your point:

BearsGrl wrote:I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County


irrelevant. This is what aekea was responding to, but you then went back to saying just how far it is to get from LA to Irvine.


My point was that Irvine IS a corporate hub whereas Tustin is not. That doesn't diminish Tustin as a city. Tustin is a nice city. You and aekea are arguing a nonexistent talking point. Or at least one you perceived. It has nothing to do with the commute to either city. I was merely making a distinction between Tustin and Irvine. Obviously Tustin and Irvine folks would travel to each other if they needed to. That wasn't the point. The point was that Irvine is a corporate hub.

And just because you work in a 10 story building does not mean that your building is the tallest building in Irvine. If the following is still up-to-date, the following proves my point: http://www.ocalmanac.com/Structures/st01.htm and http://www.emporis.com/city/irvine-ca-u ... s/highrise. The implied context was that you can move to cities in CA where there is height that is condo/living based with little to no corporate life or you can move to cities that have a mix of height and condo living, which signifies corporate work. You can compare the city of Irvine along the Coast to other Coastal cities in FL and Irvine is more of a corporate hub than those other cities. Height doesn't always equal corporate work. That was my point.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm

...Why the fuck are we discussing building heights?

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby splitbrain » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:17 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:...Why the fuck are we discussing building heights?

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Pepperdine/Loyola/Cardozo ($$)/UC Irvine Entertainment Law

Postby aekea » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:27 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I worked in the Irvine Center Towers. 10 stories.

Sorry. I've read your last answer to Aekea's post and it makes no sense. You're saying that the commute from LA is ridiculously long, and that's true. But aekea was saying that the commute from Tustin isn't long at all, which is also true. This makes your point:

BearsGrl wrote:I'm merely saying that Irvine is an epicenter with lots of corporate hubs versus say Tustin, CA which is also in Orange County


irrelevant. This is what aekea was responding to, but you then went back to saying just how far it is to get from LA to Irvine.


My point was that Irvine IS a corporate hub whereas Tustin is not. That doesn't diminish Tustin as a city. Tustin is a nice city. You and aekea are arguing a nonexistent talking point. Or at least one you perceived. It has nothing to do with the commute to either city. I was merely making a distinction between Tustin and Irvine. Obviously Tustin and Irvine folks would travel to each other if they needed to. That wasn't the point. The point was that Irvine is a corporate hub.

And just because you work in a 10 story building does not mean that your building is the tallest building in Irvine. If the following is still up-to-date, the following proves my point: http://www.ocalmanac.com/Structures/st01.htm and http://www.emporis.com/city/irvine-ca-u ... s/highrise. The implied context was that you can move to cities in CA where there is height that is condo/living based with little to no corporate life or you can move to cities that have a mix of height and condo living, which signifies corporate work. You can compare the city of Irvine along the Coast to other Coastal cities in FL and Irvine is more of a corporate hub than those other cities. Height doesn't always equal corporate work. That was my point.

I'm not arguing a non existent "talking point". I realize that you weren't talking about the commute from Tustin to Irvine. I mentioned it because I thought it was odd that you felt the need to point out that Irvine is a corporate hub, while Tustin is not. Tustin has nothing to do with anything here. It's like if I said, "Cardozo is in Manhattan which is a business center, unlike Queens." That would be a completely pointless thing to say. So my problem with you making the distinction between Tustin and Irvine, is that it's one that doesn't need to be made. It has no purpose. It's just a useless empty observation.

I will concede, however, that Irvine is more of a corporate hub for California legal work than Coastal Florida. Excellent point.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests