UC Davis or UC Irvine?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Beachbum89

UC Davis or UC Irvine?

Postby Beachbum89 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 am

So my cycle is over and it's down to these two schools:

UC Davis ($14k in need-based aid per year, still waiting on scholarship info)
+Established, well-known school in CA.
+Change of pace from Irvine (did my undergrad at UCI)
+Beautiful new law building and cool college town.
+Small law school and community (Irvine has this too)
-Not in the area I want to practice.
-Girlfriend is in LA/OC.
-Not as many clinics or outside legal opportunities in the area.
-UCI could be a Top 20 school when I graduate from Davis.

UC Irvine ($8k scholarship per year that I've tried to increase unsuccessfully, no need-based aid)
+Brand new school with huge potential
+Great faculty that are invested in the success of the students.
+Very small class sizes (35-40 students max)
+Great clinical opportunities as well as law firms and courts in the surrounding area.
+Close to my girlfriend.
+Curriculum that emphasizes teaching practical skills for lawyers.
+So far great summer associate and clerkship placements.
-Hype could be overblown and stats of incoming classes could go down over the next few years.
-Boring old Irvine that I've already spent four years in.
-Law building kinda sucks and has no real campus feel like many of the other law schools I've visited.

I've visited both schools and went to undergrad at UCI and I really like both schools. I want to end up practicing at a mid-sized firm in LA/OC. I'm not opposed to big-law for my first few years out of school but would prefer a mid-sized firm eventually. I've got lots of connections in the Southern California area as most of my family are lawyers. They've said they can at least get me interviews at a number of big law firms in LA/OC. I'd like to practice business/corporate law so I don't think that makes either school more attractive than the other. I'm leaning a little to Irvine right now even though I'd like a change and really liked Davis. If Davis comes through with some kind of scholarship that'll probably send me there. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks for the input!

bdole2

Re: UC Davis or UC Irvine?

Postby bdole2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 am

Beachbum89 wrote:So my cycle is over and it's down to these two schools:

-Girlfriend is in LA/OC.

UC Irvine ($8k scholarship per year that I've tried to increase unsuccessfully, no need-based aid)
+Great clinical opportunities as well as law firms and courts in the surrounding area.
+Close to my girlfriend.
-Hype could be overblown and stats of incoming classes could go down over the next few years.
-Law building kinda sucks and has no real campus feel like many of the other law schools I've visited.

I've visited both schools and went to undergrad at UCI and I really like both schools. I want to end up practicing at a mid-sized firm in LA/OC. I'm not opposed to big-law for my first few years out of school but would prefer a mid-sized firm eventually. I've got lots of connections in the Southern California area as most of my family are lawyers. They've said they can at least get me interviews at a number of big law firms in LA/OC. I'd like to practice business/corporate law so I don't think that makes either school more attractive than the other. I'm leaning a little to Irvine right now even though I'd like a change and really liked Davis. If Davis comes through with some kind of scholarship that'll probably send me there. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks for the input!

Absolutely, 100% go to UCI or don't go. Do not go to Davis. What is your GPA / LSAT?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 am

bdole2: Why ?

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:16 am

CanadianWolf wrote:bdole2: Why ?

Don't worry I don't think Davis is a bad school or anything. However, the big knock on UCI seems that there are a lack of networking opportunities since there is no alumni base. But, with the OPs connections it seems that he would have ample networking ability within the SoCal area. To me it seems silly to relocate to NorCal when he seemingly has multiple connections in SoCal. While i seriously doubt UCI will be a "top-20" school in the near future, I think it is the right choice for OP who is from SoCal and wants to remain in SoCal to practice. I also assume that OP has the option to live with family / relatives if he goes to school at UCI which would make it the cheaper choice since it would eliminate COL expenses. Just my 2 cents.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:26 am

OP: UC-Davis is probably better for you since you want time away from UCI & like Davis' campus & facilities. SoCal employers are familiar with UC-Davis. On a personal level, however, it may affect your relationship with your girlfriend.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:30 pm

UCI: between your gf and what you want, it wins.

Even if the employment results get diluted, which is unlikely, it still is doing better than Davis.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Neither. These schools are way too costly at your current scholarship offers. Counting interest: 170k for UCD? 190k+ for UCI? Retake/reapply is the only realistic response to such insane prices at middling schools like these.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:51 am

bdole2 wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:So my cycle is over and it's down to these two schools:

-Girlfriend is in LA/OC.

+Close to my girlfriend.

Absolutely, 100% go to UCI or don't go. Do not go to Davis. What is your GPA / LSAT?

3.6/164

I'm happy with my acceptances so don't have much interest in taking a year off and retaking. So most people seem to think irvine is the better option? Thanks all.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Picked Davis.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”