Duke v. Vandy v. BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU vs. Duke vs. Vanderbilt

Poll ended at Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Boston U
38%
Duke
46%
Vanderbilt
15%

Total votes: 26

scottlj

Duke v. Vandy v. BU

Postby scottlj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:17 pm

So I just got my financial aid back from Duke and I don't know what to do. Duke was my top choice, but my aid was not what I was hoping for. I'm going to try and negotiate but I only have 10 days until the BU deadline. As it stands I looking at:

103, 705 in debt for-DUKE
78,114 in debt for-Vanderbilt
27, 084 in debt for- BU
(There are no stips on any of the awards)

As far as ties go I have them in Nashville and Boston, but not Durham (went to undergrad at Vandy and grew up in Mass).
As far as cost of living goes Durham is the cheapest and Boston is the most expensive but the debt is so different that it doesn't matter much.
Also my husband will be working and needs to be near Chem jobs which there are a number of in the research triangle (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) and in Boston.
I love both Boston and Nashville, not crazy about Durham but I could deal. I'm not set on where I want to live but I could see myself back in the South or up north (living in Manhattan currently). So just not West.
As for the type of law I want to practice I don't know but I'm not set on BigLaw.
Basically, I don't know if Duke is worth the crazy amount of debt I will have when I graduate.
Thoughts?
(Sidenote I am still waiting to hear about aid from Cornell and I am on hold at Harvard)

EDIT: I was able to get both scholarships to Duke and BU increased. Now debt at Duke would be 92,000 and BU would be 12,000.
Last edited by scottlj on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Re: Duke v. Vandy v. BU

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm

I chose BU because the low debt gives you a lot of freedom and seems like the best fit for your family.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 pm

27k for a BU degree? Sign me up.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:47 pm

It depends on what you mean by "not set on Biglaw." Will you be happy working at a small firm somewhere in Mass or working in the public sector (this is the most likely outcome from BU)? If I were you, I would go to Duke. With your ties, you will get back to Boston even if you are close to median. It would be nice to start your career with a small amount of debt from a truly great law school.

If for some reason Cornell gives you a good deal (I go there), you will also have a relatively easy time getting back to Boston, but it does seem like Duke actually gave you a good chunk of $. Cornell may not beat that deal, and Ithaca may not be idea for the hubby. I know there are a good number of Vandy supporters on here, but I think it is the least attractive of your 3 offers if you want Boston, your second best if you want NYC, and your best if you want Nashville. I do think Duke is worth 30K more than Vandy (I would have gone to Duke if they gave me more money).

Good luck with your choice.

Oh, if you get into Harvard, I think you should go there, do Biglaw for a few years, and then do whatever you want.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:52 pm

KMaine wrote:It depends on what you mean by "not set on Biglaw." Will you be happy working at a small firm somewhere in Mass or working in the public sector (this is the most likely outcome from BU)? If I were you, I would go to Duke. With your ties, you will get back to Boston even if you are close to median. It would be nice to start your career with a small amount of debt from a truly great law school.

If for some reason Cornell gives you a good deal (I go there), you will also have a relatively easy time getting back to Boston, but it does seem like Duke actually gave you a good chunk of $. Cornell may not beat that deal, and Ithaca may not be idea for the hubby. I know there are a good number of Vandy supporters on here, but I think it is the least attractive of your 3 offers if you want Boston, your second best if you want NYC, and your best if you want Nashville. I do think Duke is worth 30K more than Vandy (I would have gone to Duke if they gave me more money).

Good luck with your choice.

Oh, if you get into Harvard, I think you should go there, do Biglaw for a few years, and then do whatever you want.

Last sentence cracked me up.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Duke or BU. Best job placement vs least debt. It really comes down to how debt-averse you are.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”