Loyola vs. USD - Class size and class ranking

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DC_Patent_Law

Re: Loyola vs. USD - Class size and class ranking

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Vkgarrett are you even from southern california? Saying that USD is the best school in its city and that Loyola is the third best in LA adds nothing. If you think that UCLA or USC grads don't compete for jobs in San Diego you are kidding yourself.

OP you have great work experience and that might get you a job in LA or San Diego but don't go expecting great things out of the reputations of these schools. Since you say finances don't matter as much, pick based on where you want to live and the feel of the schools.

Yes, there is some competition from UCLA/USC and the NorCal T1s, but not enough to make any sort of real dent in SD

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5 (disclaimer - don't kill me if there is something wrong with these stats or they are misleading :)

Basically, if you want to practice in San Diego, USD seems like a great choice. Kinda like George Mason is very popular in D.C. even if it doesn't hold much weight in SD. Similarly SD doesn't hold much weight in D.C. Regional reputation, alumni base count for a lot in every cit. However, like Danteshek pointed out, if you do well at school it won't matter. Really boils down to whether I want to stay in SD or LA after graduation. SD seemed like a very sleep town to me after D.C.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:If you are going back to your current firm after law school why pay anything for the JD?

Well, I still need a JD for career growth. Also, I'm not immune to getting laid off. Only death and taxes are a sure thing :D

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:28 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Excellent points raised by everyone. To give you a bit of background, I've been working in D.C. practicing patent prosecution for the past 8 years. I'm going to law school just to get rubber stamped as a lawyer, my work experience as a registered patent agent will trump a lot of the school, ranking factors etc. I will be working for my current firm in D.C. remotely from Cali so I won't be incurring much, if any debt at all. I have strong D.C. roots and patent law experience and a job at my current firm or a lot of D.C. patent law firms is pretty much guaranteed. So going to school in D.C. is not important.

I've been to Cali many times, especially LA and I like the place/energy and of course, the sunshine which is why I'm moving. Also, I have friends here. I could use a change of pace after 8 years in D.C. and while I'm here, figure out if Cali is a place I want to be in for the long run.

Since getting a job will not be an issue, soft factors such as a classroom experience, professors etc play a role in my decision. That being said, I still want to do really well at any school I attend. Loyola seems a lot more competitive than USD from what I've seen. Also, my GPA is 3.72, LSAT was 158. I could probably raise it to 162 if I retook. But I'm 31, so taking another year off might be pushing me towards retirement age ;)

bdole2 wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:
I'm currently in Washington D.C. I've been working in patent law for a while as we. I'm not sure if I want to practice in LA or San Diego yet. I do like the big city atmosphere. Btw, why did you ignore the classroom experience/professor rankings?

Have you ever been to Cali? Don't relocate for schools like these unless you are sure you want to practice there and have a job lined up that you could work part-time that would cover a majority of the costs. I told you to ignore those rankings because they will not help you find a job. Visiting both schools would give you a better feel for what the classroom experience would be like than some garbage rankings.

What are your GPA / LSAT? You should reconsider retaking the LSAT and trying to get into GW or GULC (or American with a sizable scholarship) if D.C. is where you really want to end up.

If you are this hooked up in D.C. and may return there later why not shoot for American Part-time or something. Even if you are going to pay sticker for it if you already are involved in a practice then it might be worth it.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 am

Eight years in DC and I'm sick of it. Time to expand my horizons, I've always wanted to live/work on the west coast. Hard to decide if I should spend it in SD or LA. I'm visiting SD again, the parts I visited were slow as hell.

jarofsoup wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:Excellent points raised by everyone. To give you a bit of background, I've been working in D.C. practicing patent prosecution for the past 8 years. I'm going to law school just to get rubber stamped as a lawyer, my work experience as a registered patent agent will trump a lot of the school, ranking factors etc. I will be working for my current firm in D.C. remotely from Cali so I won't be incurring much, if any debt at all. I have strong D.C. roots and patent law experience and a job at my current firm or a lot of D.C. patent law firms is pretty much guaranteed. So going to school in D.C. is not important.

I've been to Cali many times, especially LA and I like the place/energy and of course, the sunshine which is why I'm moving. Also, I have friends here. I could use a change of pace after 8 years in D.C. and while I'm here, figure out if Cali is a place I want to be in for the long run.

Since getting a job will not be an issue, soft factors such as a classroom experience, professors etc play a role in my decision. That being said, I still want to do really well at any school I attend. Loyola seems a lot more competitive than USD from what I've seen. Also, my GPA is 3.72, LSAT was 158. I could probably raise it to 162 if I retook. But I'm 31, so taking another year off might be pushing me towards retirement age ;)

bdole2 wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:
I'm currently in Washington D.C. I've been working in patent law for a while as we. I'm not sure if I want to practice in LA or San Diego yet. I do like the big city atmosphere. Btw, why did you ignore the classroom experience/professor rankings?

Have you ever been to Cali? Don't relocate for schools like these unless you are sure you want to practice there and have a job lined up that you could work part-time that would cover a majority of the costs. I told you to ignore those rankings because they will not help you find a job. Visiting both schools would give you a better feel for what the classroom experience would be like than some garbage rankings.

What are your GPA / LSAT? You should reconsider retaking the LSAT and trying to get into GW or GULC (or American with a sizable scholarship) if D.C. is where you really want to end up.

If you are this hooked up in D.C. and may return there later why not shoot for American Part-time or something. Even if you are going to pay sticker for it if you already are involved in a practice then it might be worth it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”