Columbia vs NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I pick?

NYU
67%
Columbia
33%

Total votes: 46

ssteiner

Columbia vs NYU

Postby ssteiner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 pm

So here's my (incredibly lucky) situation-

Despite getting into Harvard and Stanford, I've decided to stay in NY for personal reasons. I'm now trying to choose between NYU and Columbia. NYU has offered me a $75,000 scholarship (90k if I do public interest, which I probably won't do), while Columbia has offered me $60,000. I highly prefer living in the West Village over Morningside Heights, and definitely got a better feeling about NYU at their ASD than I did at Columbia's. However, I'm leaning towards intellectual property law, and know Columbia is stronger in that area than NYU. Where should I go?

Nelson

Re: Columbia vs NYU

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:17 pm

ssteiner wrote:So here's my (incredibly lucky) situation-

Despite getting into Harvard and Stanford, I've decided to stay in NY for personal reasons. I'm now trying to choose between NYU and Columbia. NYU has offered me a $75,000 scholarship (90k if I do public interest, which I probably won't do), while Columbia has offered me $60,000. I highly prefer living in the West Village over Morningside Heights, and definitely got a better feeling about NYU at their ASD than I did at Columbia's. However, I'm leaning towards intellectual property law, and know Columbia is stronger in that area than NYU. Where should I go?

Take the money.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Unless you have a strong preference for Columbia, just take the money.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 pm

ssteiner wrote:NYU has offered me a $75,000 scholarship (90k if I do public interest, which I probably won't do), while Columbia has offered me $60,000

ssteiner wrote:I highly prefer living in the West Village over Morningside Heights

ssteiner wrote:definitely got a better feeling about NYU at their ASD than I did at Columbia's

ssteiner wrote:I'm leaning towards intellectual property law, and know Columbia is stronger in that area than NYU

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 pm

ssteiner wrote:So here's my (incredibly lucky) situation-

There you go. Might as well enjoy Law School; being in a place that you enjoy more will also probably be more conducive to being successful.

noggo10

Postby noggo10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 pm

In the exact same situation, although the money amounts are a bit different for me with NYU offering way more than CLS. I am trying to renegotiate the scholarship but have been so thoroughly impressed by how responsive and enthusiastic the people at NYU have made me feel that I am leaning toward going there. Based on the amount of money I have been given and just the amount of people who have reached out to me, NYU has made me feel like they actually want me to attend the school. While I love Columbia, I have not gotten the same response for them. Seems like you get a better feel from NYU as well so I would say go there for sure.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:27 pm

The two schools are essentially equal, so I typically advise people deciding between the 2 to base their decision primarily on $$. If $$ is equal or very close, ask yourself which school you felt more comfortable with (i.e. neighborhood, students, "vibe" you got, etc.) If both of these lean in favor of NYU, then of course pick it. Both schools have superstar professors and great education in every key area of law, and IP is one of the biggest fields, so don't even think of this as a grounds of distinction. If every factor falls in favor of NYU, then the choice is easy.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks everyone! I had basically decided on NYU but there's been this small feeling of doubt that's been making me second guess myself.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 pm

there is a reason in all these Columbia v Chicago v NYU v Etc. threads why Columbia always offers less money than the others. Its because they are better.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:26 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:there is a reason in all these Columbia v Chicago v NYU v Etc. threads why Columbia always offers less money than the others. Its because they are better.

:roll:

The real reason probably has to do with Columbia locking up most of their financial aid money in Butlers and Hamiltons.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:37 pm

In the same position. Liked NYU better for sure, people seemed chiller and area was way better. But still Columbia tugs at me for various lame prestige reasons.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:there is a reason in all these Columbia v Chicago v NYU v Etc. threads why Columbia always offers less money than the others. Its because they are better.

Lol, I read the comment, and knew who it was before I even turned my eyes up to look

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm

NYU all day long. Sounds like you prefer it on just about every subjective criterion AND it will be cheaper.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:58 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:there is a reason in all these Columbia v Chicago v NYU v Etc. threads why Columbia always offers less money than the others. Its because enough 0Ls think they are better.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:09 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:NYU all day long. Sounds like you prefer it on just about every subjective criterion AND it will be cheaper.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”