Duke vs. WUSTL vs. UCLA vs. UCI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke
24%
WUSTL
3%
UCLA
53%
UCI
20%

Total votes: 59

flummoxed

Postby flummoxed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 pm

$42k scholarship at Duke, $129k at WUSTL, $90k at UCLA, and a full out-of-state scholarship at UCI. I have lived all my life in Texas and want to get the hell out of this state. (Nothing personal to fellow Texans). My SO is at grad school in southern California this year and we'd really like to end up working in CA if possible. His family is originally from there, but I don't really have any ties there myself. All I can say is I've been there enough times to know that I would really enjoy living there.

I know Duke is the best school and all, but I am really terrified of taking on too much debt. With only $14,000 a year from Duke, I would be taking on a LOT of debt. Plus since my ties to California aren't very good, I don't know if Duke could get me there.

UCI vs UCLA is a pretty difficult decision for me. I went to UCI's admitted student weekend and liked it a lot. But choosing it over UCLA might be risky. I'm wondering how risky, though, since I have a full scholarship. I noticed there is another thread with my exact scholarship amounts choosing between UCLA and UCI, so sorry for making a similar one, but since I'm also debating between a few other schools I thought I would make this one.

Regarding my SO, he has one year left at his grad program. Long distance for another year isn't too big of a deal, but obviously I'd like it better without the distance. As I said we would really like to live in CA, but if I end up going to school elsewhere and want to apply for jobs elsewhere, he'll look for jobs in that location as well.

Thanks in advance. And please don't quote this post, if possible.

bk1

Re: Duke vs. WUSTL vs. UCLA vs. UCI

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 pm

I'd probably take UCLA. It's still risky at 150k debt at graduation but at least it's got good placement stats compared to the unknown of UCI. That 150k is assuming no tuition increases, but also you not getting in-state after your first year. If you do get in-state you'll be able to have closer to 130k debt. If you live with your SO you can probably bring that cost down a little bit more too.

flummoxed

Postby flummoxed » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 am

bk1 wrote:I'd probably take UCLA. It's still risky at 150k debt at graduation but at least it's got good placement stats compared to the unknown of UCI. That 150k is assuming no tuition increases, but also you not getting in-state after your first year. If you do get in-state you'll be able to have closer to 130k debt. If you live with your SO you can probably bring that cost down a little bit more too.

Thanks for the reply. If I go to UCLA I damn well better get in-state tuition my second and third years...I thought it was supposed to be relatively easy to get California residency as long as you do everything right. I should add that I would be able to live with my SO if I go to UCI, but not if I go to UCLA. The distance is just too much, especially with CA traffic being the way it is. I don't think we could even live at the halfway point between our two schools, because that's still too long of a commute in CA traffic (traffic being one of the few negative aspects of CA). This is another reason I'm liking UCI a lot. But I could still see him most weekends if I go to UCLA, so it's not too big of a deal.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:33 am

If your SO is at UCI and the UCI full scholly is guaranteed, it would seem like the best choice. I don't know anything about their employment prospects, but hey, even if you're unemployed, at least you don't have soul-crushing debt.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 am

Considering that your SO being in California and your desire to be in California, I'd go UCLA.

Use the WUSTL scholarship to try to negotiate UCLA up more too.

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I voted for UCLA but after reading you mention that your SO is in Irvine/OC, I want to change my vote to UCI (if you think you're going to stay serious). I'm assuming your UCLA scholly has stips - does UCI's as well?

flummoxed

Postby flummoxed » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. UCLA's scholarship is guaranteed if I maintain a 2.5 GPA and Irvine's is guaranteed if I maintain a 2.0.

UCLA seems to be killing the poll, but a few have said UCI is the best choice. I was wondering, WOULD Irvine really be all that risky? Like somebody said, if I graduate unemployed from UCI, although it would suck, at least I wouldn't have soul-crushing debt. On the other hand, if I graduate unemployed from UCLA, which is a possibility, the amount of debt I would have is a much scarier thing. At Irvine I would still have COL debt, but I could live with my SO and bring that cost down.

Also I'm not necessarily sure if I want biglaw. I wouldn't mind it and would like the OPPORTUNITY to get biglaw, but UCI's full scholarship would leave me free to explore other options, like public interest, if I decide that that's what I want to do.

However the ability to at least get a job is obviously very important to me, and I know UCLA has the alumni network and reputation.

Basically, I'm conflicted. Irvine's deadline to state my intent to enroll is coming up really quickly, so I have to make a decision soon.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 pm

UCLA with that much money is better than a UCI full ride.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm

flummoxed wrote:Thanks for the replies. UCLA's scholarship is guaranteed if I maintain a 2.5 GPA and Irvine's is guaranteed if I maintain a 2.0.

UCLA seems to be killing the poll, but a few have said UCI is the best choice. I was wondering, WOULD Irvine really be all that risky? Like somebody said, if I graduate unemployed from UCI, although it would suck, at least I wouldn't have soul-crushing debt. On the other hand, if I graduate unemployed from UCLA, which is a possibility, the amount of debt I would have is a much scarier thing. At Irvine I would still have COL debt, but I could live with my SO and bring that cost down.

Also I'm not necessarily sure if I want biglaw. I wouldn't mind it and would like the OPPORTUNITY to get biglaw, but UCI's full scholarship would leave me free to explore other options, like public interest, if I decide that that's what I want to do.

However the ability to at least get a job is obviously very important to me, and I know UCLA has the alumni network and reputation.

Basically, I'm conflicted. Irvine's deadline to state my intent to enroll is coming up really quickly, so I have to make a decision soon.

Having lived outside of LA myself, go UCLA. It will be the most portable, plus just tell your girlfriend (unless you plan to live together), that you're making this decision in order to buy her a better ring. I lived right in between LA and Irvine and you can assume your commute is going to be on avg. 2 hrs any time after 3 P.M. or so. My average commute time both into and home from the Santa Monica area was 1.5 hrs if I was lucky. Everything is dependent on what crashes happen since there are always daily crashes on the various freeways. It's rough driving in the morning and in the mid-to-late afternoon. I'd even say that 2 hours is a short time, but I'm using Santa Monica as a starting point. I'd add on 45 mins. from my residence and put a visit from the LA area to Irvine at around 2-2.5. When it was dead traffic, it could take me about 45 mins. to get back but that was at say 1 PM. LA to OC traffic is just brutal in general. You probably know that though.

6thbackstreetboy

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 pm

FWIW I'm in a similar situation, and I have decided to take UCI with 120,000 over 45,000 at Michigan, 60,000 at UCLA and 129,000 at WUSTL. I don't want big law though, and I want to work in Southern California. I don't think you can really go wrong either way, but I vote UCI because of the SO and you not being big law or bust.

flummoxed

Postby flummoxed » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks for the input.

I see on the poll that Duke is almost tied with UCI...I'm wondering if anybody who really thinks Duke is best in my situation would mind explaining why. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be crazy to turn down a great school like Duke (the best school I got into), but I just don't know if it makes sense to go there considering what my goals are and that I got more money from schools in my target market.

Also, UCLA replied to my scholarship negotiation email. I don't want to say how much they upped it by because I'm a little paranoid of outing myself, but I will say it's now over 100k. I'm really happy about this obviously, but even with this much money from UCLA I'll still be quite in debt once I graduate considering how expensive LA is to live in. Is the UCLA name and reputation in SoCal worth it over UCI?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”