Temple vs Nova?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Thoughts please :)

Villanova - full ride
47%
Temple- Coa $12k
21%
UH - Coa $12k
16%
W&L- Coa $22k
16%

Total votes: 19

vfaye

Temple vs Nova?

Postby vfaye » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Doesn't matter where I end up, so location isn't an issue other than job prospects. I'm from Philly (live in Houston) and have a full-ride at NOVA and Temple COA would be 11k. Between them, any input on whether Temple worth 33kk more debt than NOVA?

I'm also considering UH (CoA - $12k) and W&L (CoA-$22k) A little concerned about job prospects at W&L though because of location.

Thoughts?

bdole2

Re: Temple vs Nova?

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

i dont think you know what COA means...

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

vfaye wrote:Doesn't matter where I end up, so location isn't an issue other than job prospects. I'm from Philly (live in Houston) and have a full-ride at NOVA and Temple COA would be 11k. Between them, any input on whether Temple worth 33kk more debt than NOVA?

I'm also considering UH (CoA - $12k) and W&L (CoA-$22k) A little concerned about job prospects at W&L though because of location.

Thoughts?

I think W&L and Temple are out because no Temple is not worth 33k more than Nova

If you want to stay in Houston go there if you want to come back to Philly go Nova

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm

1) Houston if you want to live & work in Houston after law school.

2) Villanova.

3) Temple

4) Wash & Lee

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Is your living expenses taken are of at all of your options through savings or whatever? if not I vote Houston because you will probably be able to commute with Nova a close second if you could cover living expenses.

vfaye

Postby vfaye » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 pm

bdole2 wrote:i dont think you know what COA means...

haha! I meant "cost of attendance." but, by the way you say that I'm now afraid it might also stand for some completely inappropriate euphemism.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm

retake.

philly_law

Postby philly_law » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm a Temple 2L (HATE it) and honestly, just pick whichever is cheaper, which obviously in this case is Nova. I hate Temple, but if the financial aid situation was reversed, I would tell you Temple over Nova. If for some reason you prefer Temple (I can't think of any reason why you would) tell them about the Nova scholarship and ask them to match. But if I were you, I would just go to Nova. Career prospects are essentially equal. Equally bad, so know what you are getting into. It seems that Temple is more honest with their employment numbers now then when I was applying (125k jerbs for all!). And while Temple is patting themselves on the back for being more transparent (after a bunch of schools get sued) the new numbers are unacceptably bad. ~40% does not have full time, long term legal employment 9 months after graduation.

Villanova3

Postby Villanova3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 pm

philly_law wrote:I'm a Temple 2L (HATE it) and honestly, just pick whichever is cheaper, which obviously in this case is Nova. I hate Temple, but if the financial aid situation was reversed, I would tell you Temple over Nova. If for some reason you prefer Temple (I can't think of any reason why you would) tell them about the Nova scholarship and ask them to match. But if I were you, I would just go to Nova. Career prospects are essentially equal. Equally bad, so know what you are getting into. It seems that Temple is more honest with their employment numbers now then when I was applying (125k jerbs for all!). And while Temple is patting themselves on the back for being more transparent (after a bunch of schools get sued) the new numbers are unacceptably bad. ~40% does not have full time, long term legal employment 9 months after graduation.

Why exactly do you hate Temple..? Just curious..

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 pm

vfaye wrote:
bdole2 wrote:i dont think you know what COA means...

haha! I meant "cost of attendance." but, by the way you say that I'm now afraid it might also stand for some completely inappropriate euphemism.

It does mean cost of attendance. However, it usually means your total costs (tuition and living expenses) for all 3 years. At least that's usually how people use it on this forum.

philly_law

Postby philly_law » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Villanova3 wrote:
philly_law wrote:I'm a Temple 2L (HATE it) and honestly, just pick whichever is cheaper, which obviously in this case is Nova. I hate Temple, but if the financial aid situation was reversed, I would tell you Temple over Nova. If for some reason you prefer Temple (I can't think of any reason why you would) tell them about the Nova scholarship and ask them to match. But if I were you, I would just go to Nova. Career prospects are essentially equal. Equally bad, so know what you are getting into. It seems that Temple is more honest with their employment numbers now then when I was applying (125k jerbs for all!). And while Temple is patting themselves on the back for being more transparent (after a bunch of schools get sued) the new numbers are unacceptably bad. ~40% does not have full time, long term legal employment 9 months after graduation.

Why exactly do you hate Temple..? Just curious..

I don't think it's specific to Temple, it's just the usual poor employment prospects, the uselessness of the "education," and the soul-crushing LR work. But the bottom line for the OP is that Nova is completely free, in a nicer area, with nicer facilities. Biglaw is an equally long shot from Temple or Nova, and from what I can tell other career prospects are essentially the same. So there is absolutely no reason to shell out another 33k for Temple when you can get the same thing from Nova. And for people in the reverse situation, there's no reason to spend more for Nova if Temple or Rutgers-C is cheaper.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”