Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Pitt (Full Ride)
10
22%
Cornell (75k)
35
78%
 
Total votes: 45

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.


The ivy status doesn't matter and Pitt's not a shithole. But I don't see how this a close call unless you MUST be in Pittsburgh. Your posts indicate to me that Cornell (or any T14 with money) is the right choice here. Did you get in anywhere else? Also, don't forget to factor in interest, which would bring the total COA to about 180k I believe.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.



I wouldn't exactly call Pitt a shithole. I do see your point and I'm not afraid of success. The general wisdom is that you shouldn't attend law school unless its with scholarship or in a market you want to be with with ties. Pitt just happens to be the best law school in my market, and I got a full ride to that school. I think its a legitimate question. Just my opinion tho.

Why are you going to law school? It sounds like you don't really know what you want to do with your life and you're applying because your parents want you to. Have you thought about working for a few years and revisiting law school later?

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Nelson wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.



I wouldn't exactly call Pitt a shithole. I do see your point and I'm not afraid of success. The general wisdom is that you shouldn't attend law school unless its with scholarship or in a market you want to be with with ties. Pitt just happens to be the best law school in my market, and I got a full ride to that school. I think its a legitimate question. Just my opinion tho.

Why are you going to law school? It sounds like you don't really know what you want to do with your life and you're applying because your parents want you to. Have you thought about working for a few years and revisiting law school later?


I have.. I'm going to be graduating with a pretty useless degree (poll sci) and have explored trying to get a job. I can't live at home anymore if I decide to work and the jobs that I have lined up only pay around 30 or so in Pittsburgh. I just figured that I'm not going to really save up that much money at a job like this before law school so why not do what I've always wanted to do get it out of the way while I'm young and start my career in a field that I've always been interested. I know this might not be TCR but those are my reasons.

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Although I personally would pick Cornell, I don't think there is a wrong choice here. But OP i think this choice comes down to your own personal preferences. Nobody on TLS is going to be able to make this decision for you.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 am

I would easily pick Cornell. In a somewhat similar situation as you and Cornell was a no brainer for me.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:
bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.


The ivy status doesn't matter and Pitt's not a shithole. But I don't see how this a close call unless you MUST be in Pittsburgh. Your posts indicate to me that Cornell (or any T14 with money) is the right choice here. Did you get in anywhere else? Also, don't forget to factor in interest, which would bring the total COA to about 180k I believe.


Pitt is a shithole unless Pitt is the only market you want to work in.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby top30man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 am

johansantana21 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.


The ivy status doesn't matter and Pitt's not a shithole. But I don't see how this a close call unless you MUST be in Pittsburgh. Your posts indicate to me that Cornell (or any T14 with money) is the right choice here. Did you get in anywhere else? Also, don't forget to factor in interest, which would bring the total COA to about 180k I believe.


Pitt is a shithole unless Pitt is the only market you want to work in.

Truth.

primetimejoncell
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby primetimejoncell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 am

I have to agree with Cornell as the choice. Yes, you will be in debt but the mobility of a Cornell degree as well as dramtically increased job prospects is worth the debt. When you are making a starting salary of 140k a year the debt you gain from going to cornell will be paid off within the first few years. The way I see it, you never know where life will take you, and a Pitt law degree will most likely only take you one place: Pittsburgh. When comparing the starting salary leels you will most likely be getting from each school after you graduate, I think Cornell would be a better investment. But money is money, so nobody would call you crazy for choosing Pitt. Or at least I wouldnt

primetimejoncell
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby primetimejoncell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 am

levels*

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:44 am

Cornell if you're thinking about NYC big law.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr, packerboy31489 and 3 guests