Go to Rutgers Newark or try again next year?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school- rutgers Newark vs

Rutgers Newark this year @ 22k tuition
29%
Another school ranked btw 14 and 30 next year at higher tuition
71%

Total votes: 14

brcsurf1

Go to Rutgers Newark or try again next year?

Postby brcsurf1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I received admission into Rutgers Newark. Scored 156 on LSAT and had a 4.0 from Rutgers undergrad. However, on LSAT day, I was on the receiving end of a bad combo of factors: being sick, testing the day after a Rosh Hashana, test center was poorly organized, and I was somewhat nervous.

My choice now is to accept my seat at Rutgers Newark, where tuition is 22K, or roll the dice next year for a possible better school (realistically top 30 but not T14). An OK school with in state tuition vs. a better school (maybe between Fordham and UCLA) with the burden of 2x tuition. What are peoples thoughts on this?

flem

Re: Go to Rutgers Newark or try again next year?

Postby flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm

brcsurf1 wrote:Scored 156 on LSAT and had a 4.0 from Rutgers undergrad. However, on LSAT day, I was on the receiving end of a bad combo of factors: being sick, testing the day after a Rosh Hashana, test center was poorly organized, and I was somewhat nervous.

For the love of fuck, retake.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm

brcsurf1 wrote:I received admission into Rutgers Newark. Scored 156 on LSAT and had a 4.0 from Rutgers undergrad. However, on LSAT day, I was on the receiving end of a bad combo of factors: being sick, testing the day after a Rosh Hashana, test center was poorly organized, and I was somewhat nervous.

My choice now is to accept my seat at Rutgers Newark, where tuition is 22K, or roll the dice next year for a possible better school (realistically top 30 but not T14). An OK school with in state tuition vs. a better school (maybe between Fordham and UCLA) with the burden of 2x tuition. What are peoples thoughts on this?

What do you want to do with your law degree?

The default answer here is retake retake retake. In that order. Do not waste a 4.0 especially with those factors bringing you down. A school is not going to care if you took it twice.

lawstudent06789

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Study harder - do lots of timed prep tests - retake LSAT and reapply next year. You won't only get into higher ranked schools, you'll get much more money from T2s like Rutgers. With a 4.0 though, I would really just work on LSAT, apply early, and shoot for <T14 (depending on your lsat of course).

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not waste a 4.0! Retake the LSAT. Even a few more points coupled with a 4.0 is enough to do wonders. Retake the damn test.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 pm

flem wrote:
brcsurf1 wrote:Scored 156 on LSAT and had a 4.0 from Rutgers undergrad. However, on LSAT day, I was on the receiving end of a bad combo of factors: being sick, testing the day after a Rosh Hashana, test center was poorly organized, and I was somewhat nervous.

LOL.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:46 pm

You owe it to your hard work in undergrad to re-take here. The beauty of this process is that you can change your LSAT score much more easily than your UGPA. You did well in college, now study up for the LSAT and enjoy a better school.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 pm

brcsurf1 wrote:I received admission into Rutgers Newark. Scored 156 on LSAT and had a 4.0 from Rutgers undergrad. However, on LSAT day, I was on the receiving end of a bad combo of factors: being sick, testing the day after a Rosh Hashana, test center was poorly organized, and I was somewhat nervous.

Are you insane? Do not waste that GPA on a law school like Rutgers. Study hard (and smart) and retake. Go to a much better school, go somewhere with a giant scholarship -- or do both!

And why not shoot for T14?

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 am

JasonR wrote:

Are you insane? Do not waste that GPA on a law school like Rutgers. Study hard (and smart) and retake. Go to a much better school, go somewhere with a giant scholarship -- or do both!

And why not shoot for T14?

+1
why are you not shooting for T14? If you get a better score you have a really good chance

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 am

t14fanboy wrote:
flem wrote:

LOL.

Haha I was a camp counselor when I was a teenager, and I had a fat camper I used to always do this to, and I'd be like "for the love of god, cherish it!"

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 am

I live in NJ, so if I find out you had a 4.0 and didn't retake, I will hunt you down and steal your identity. Not dissing Rutgers at all, in fact, I'd consider it for a ton of $$$, but RETAKE.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 am

emarxnj wrote:I live in NJ, so if I find out you had a 4.0 and didn't retake, I will hunt you down and steal your identity. Not dissing Rutgers at all, in fact, I'd consider it for a ton of $$$, but RETAKE.

Agreed. It's not a terrible pit like a lot of other places, it's good with money and if you want to live in NJ. But with a 4.0 it's one of the dumbest moves you could possibly make.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 am

My choice now is to accept my seat at Rutgers Newark, where tuition is 22K, or Roll the dice next year for a possible better school? (realistically top 30 but not T14). An OK school with in state tuition vs. a better school (maybe between Fordham and UCLA) with the burden of 2x tuition. What are peoples thoughts on this?

4.0s are not simply handed out. You put a lot of work into obtaining that. Maximize your potential.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:00 pm

crossarmant wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I live in NJ, so if I find out you had a 4.0 and didn't retake, I will hunt you down and steal your identity. Not dissing Rutgers at all, in fact, I'd consider it for a ton of $$$, but RETAKE.

Agreed. It's not a terrible pit like a lot of other places, it's good with money and if you want to live in NJ. But with a 4.0 it's one of the dumbest moves you could possibly make.

Even the low 160s would open up the t14 via ED with that gpa. Agreed. Retake please.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”