GW ($) vs. UMN (Full ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A.Steiner

New

GW ($) vs. UMN (Full ride)

Post by A.Steiner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Just received my scholarship email from UMN and it's more than I was expecting. 40K a year (2.5 GPA requirement) for all three years is extremely tempting, and I love the idea of graduating with minimal debt. GW has given me only 16K a year, and has much higher COL. I think the overall difference will be about 35k a year. That said, aside from the money, all the other factors point towards GW. I am a Canadian, and I would like to work in Canada or on the east coast, either NYC/Boston/DC. Big law would be nice, but most important to me is the location and finding a job that will let me pay off my debts and live comfortably.

I don't know how well a UMN or a GW degree translates to Canadian firms, but I know that GW would be a bigger name factor. And of course GW will be better for east coast jobs. But how much better? Basically what I'd like is a gauge of how much worse UMN would be for landing me a job I want. From what I've read, it sounds like top 50% of your class in GW would give me a good chance of a job I want, and top 30% an excellent chance (keeping in mind, I don't need big law, just a decent east coast job). What are the corresponding percents from UMN? Even if you don't know from personal experience, I'd like to hear some gut-reaction guesses on this. As a Canadian I have very little frame of reference for just how regional UMN is, and for how important a factor that is. Thanks!

noleknight16

Silver

Re: GW ($) vs. UMN (Full ride)

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Minnesota. No question about it.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Neither of these schools seem like a good fit for your goals. Any reason you aren't considering Canadian law schools?

A.Steiner

New

Post by A.Steiner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Nelson wrote:Neither of these schools seem like a good fit for your goals. Any reason you aren't considering Canadian law schools?
Partly because I missed most of the Canadian deadlines, having decided on Law School very late in the cycle. Also, I have very good LSAT score, and a low gpa. Canadian schools don't put nearly as much stock into LSAT scores as American schools do.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm

A.Steiner wrote:Just received my scholarship email from UMN and it's more than I was expecting. 40K a year (2.5 GPA requirement) for all three years is extremely tempting, and I love the idea of graduating with minimal debt. GW has given me only 16K a year, and has much higher COL. I think the overall difference will be about 35k a year. That said, aside from the money, all the other factors point towards GW. I am a Canadian, and I would like to work in Canada or on the east coast, either NYC/Boston/DC. Big law would be nice, but most important to me is the location and finding a job that will let me pay off my debts and live comfortably.

I don't know how well a UMN or a GW degree translates to Canadian firms, but I know that GW would be a bigger name factor. And of course GW will be better for east coast jobs. But how much better? Basically what I'd like is a gauge of how much worse UMN would be for landing me a job I want. From what I've read, it sounds like top 50% of your class in GW would give me a good chance of a job I want, and top 30% an excellent chance (keeping in mind, I don't need big law, just a decent east coast job). What are the corresponding percents from UMN? Even if you don't know from personal experience, I'd like to hear some gut-reaction guesses on this. As a Canadian I have very little frame of reference for just how regional UMN is, and for how important a factor that is. Thanks!
That "bigger name factor" is not so big to be worth 100k more. Go with UMN.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 pm

A.Steiner wrote:
Nelson wrote:Neither of these schools seem like a good fit for your goals. Any reason you aren't considering Canadian law schools?
Partly because I missed most of the Canadian deadlines, having decided on Law School very late in the cycle. Also, I have very good LSAT score, and a low gpa. Canadian schools don't put nearly as much stock into LSAT scores as American schools do.
Depending on what your split is, you're probably better off waiting until next cycle and trying to get into a T14. I wouldn't attend either of these schools and look to go international after law school, or even just for NYC biglaw. Only go to UMN if you're comfortable working in a small firm in Minnesota after graduation.

A.Steiner

New

Post by A.Steiner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Waiting for next cycle's not a great option for me, I took my LSAT 5 years ago and for most schools that's the longest they're valid for. I suppose I could always retake and hope I repeat my 171 (or improve), but with a 3.25 GPA I don't think I would be a shoe in for a T-14. I'm surprised, though, that you don't think GW is good for DC/NYC at least.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:46 pm

UMN is very regional. Don't go there since you don't want to work in MN and don't have ties to MN. That being said, GW is absurdly expensive and 16k/year makes only a small dent in that. I wouldn't recommend GW unless they doubled, if not tripled, the amount of money they gave you.

Why not law school in Canada? Why no T14 options? If you got a 171 before you can do it again. If you really want biglaw I wouldn't go lower than T14. On top of that, as a splitter you're generally relegated to biglaw for paying debt since almost any school is going to cost you sticker.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 pm

A.Steiner wrote:Waiting for next cycle's not a great option for me, I took my LSAT 5 years ago and for most schools that's the longest they're valid for. I suppose I could always retake and hope I repeat my 171 (or improve), but with a 3.25 GPA I don't think I would be a shoe in for a T-14. I'm surprised, though, that you don't think GW is good for DC/NYC at least.
Go read up on GW's placement stats. With a 171 you should have applied to Northwestern since you would likely have gotten in with money this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”