Help very much needed!!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Please help me make a decision!!!

Rutgers Newark
36%
Tulane
7%
Northeastern
5%
Wake Forest
5%
Pepperdine
16%
Washington and Lee
30%

Total votes: 56

sweetpea123

Re: Help very much needed!!!!

Postby sweetpea123 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

none of these schools are TTT and i have schollys at all of them so i wouldnt be paying sticker. and i'm not into biglaw. i studied industrial and labor relations undergrad at cornell and i'm pretty interested in labor & employment stuff... so if anyone else has constructive advice i'd greatly appreciate it.

linquest

Postby linquest » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:52 am

sd5289 wrote:Northeastern is only going to place you well in Boston, and that's assuming your interests are PI, AND that those interests are nonprofit PI (their LRAP doesn't cover government attorneys).

This is not true at all. Gov't attorneys ARE eligible for NUSL's LRAP. Considering that OP actually is interested in public interest work in Boston, the second part's not necessarily a bad thing but inaccurate anyhow. I'm a relatively recent Northeastern grad, got hired through a federal agency's Honors Program to work far outside the New England/Mid-Atlantic area, and am now practicing at another federal agency's HQ in DC. Of the 20 attorneys just in my office, 4 of them are NUSL grads...and not a single one of the supervisors is a NUSL grad either. OP's area of interest also happens to be one that NUSL places quite well in, not just in its home region. However, I won't go as far as to say OP should definitely attend NUSL. It's not for everyone, and there are a lot of good options here (I voted for Rutgers, actually).

OP- I PMed you.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am

linquest wrote:This is not true at all. Gov't attorneys ARE eligible for NUSL's LRAP. Considering that OP actually is interested in public interest work in Boston, the second part's not necessarily a bad thing but inaccurate anyhow.

Intriguing. During a financial aid chat online a few months ago I was told a) it wouldn't cover me since I would be doing gov't work, and b) it's capped at $50K/year, which is laughable in a city like NYC. I liked the school, but this was a big factor in my decision to go elsewhere.

linquest

Postby linquest » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:07 am

sd5289 wrote:
linquest wrote:During a financial aid chat online a few months ago I was told a) it wouldn't cover me since I would be doing gov't work, and b) it's capped at $50K/year, which is laughable in a city like NYC. I liked the school, but this was a big factor in my decision to go elsewhere.

You can check out the details here-
http://www.northeastern.edu/law/pdfs/fi ... fguide.pdf

You do realize that most PI jobs (except fed gov) pay under $50K entry-level, right? http://www.nalp.org/sept2010pubintsal Hell, there are even private firms that pay less than that in NYC.

commoner

Postby commoner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 am

I voted Pepperdine, as I actually visited the place and found it to be gorgeous. It is nestled in the red hills of Malibu overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:23 pm

linquest wrote:You do realize that most PI jobs (except fed gov) pay under $50K entry-level, right? http://www.nalp.org/sept2010pubintsal Hell, there are even private firms that pay less than that in NYC.

You do realize I've been working PI for years now, right?

So yes I'm aware of average income levels. Note where I stated "NYC" in my previous post. There may be private firms (read: "shit firms") that pay less, but nonprofits by default at least try to understand the concept of a living wage. It's part of the nonprofit culture. The starting salary for an attorney where I currently work (a smaller nonprofit by comparison) is $54K. Job postings that run over the various nonprofit listserves start between $50-$60K. Starting ADA salaries here hover around $60K and only go up from there. Some jobs are lower than that, but not many. NYC's standard of living is one of the highest in the country. It would be impossible to survive here, while paying back even IBR loans on less than $50K a year.

The problem with the information you posted is that it's a national average. $60K starting salary would make you rich in the middle of nowhere Montana, but it's just barely middle-income here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”