Worth it to go to Law School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eshinabarger

New

Worth it to go to Law School?

Post by eshinabarger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 am

Here is my situation...I have an undergrad in Poly Sci, and graduated in 2009. I worked on Cap. Hill for a year and for a non-profit the other two. I have interest in public sector or labor law, and am considering law school. I graduated with a 3.31 gpa and got a 168 on the LSAT. I applied to George Mason, George Washington, Loyola Chicago, Chicago Kent, Depaul, IU-Indy, and OSU, but haven't made a decision yet. Through scholarships and savings, I'll be able to walk away from school with 0 debt.

After reading all the doom and gloom on the internet about law school, I would love some feedback. Anyone in a similar situation? Any advice? Any thoughts on the schools listed above?

llachans

Silver

Re: Worth it to go to Law School?

Post by llachans » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 am

Where do you want to work after law school? Generally, if you have another route to reach your professional goals, I would say don't go to law school (aside from getting into a top school). Another obvious obstacle is debt. You say you could graduate without any, which makes that a non-issue.
Last edited by llachans on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 am

Where do you want to practice? Those schools are all very regional. With your numbers you could definitely get into some better schools if you apply early next cycle. It sounds like you have an interest in Chicago, with your stats you could get UIUC at least. Also consider retaking the LSAT if you are taking a year off anyways.

eshinabarger

New

Post by eshinabarger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

I want to work in Chicago or DC. Yeah, that is the problem I am running into this cycle. I decided to look into law school this winter, took the LSAT for the only time in February, and subsequently missed out on applying to all T1 schools (UIUC included). Depending on scholarship offers, I was thinking of waiting until next year and shooting for Chicago/Northwestern/Georgetown, but then debt would start to come into play considering they are more expensive and I wouldn't get much if any scholarships.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:47 am

eshinabarger wrote:I want to work in Chicago or DC. Yeah, that is the problem I am running into this cycle. I decided to look into law school this winter, took the LSAT for the only time in February, and subsequently missed out on applying to all T1 schools (UIUC included). Depending on scholarship offers, I was thinking of waiting until next year and shooting for Chicago/Northwestern/Georgetown, but then debt would start to come into play considering they are more expensive and I wouldn't get much if any scholarships.
You could definitely be WUSTL'in brah

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:54 am

eshinabarger wrote:I want to work in Chicago or DC. Yeah, that is the problem I am running into this cycle. I decided to look into law school this winter, took the LSAT for the only time in February, and subsequently missed out on applying to all T1 schools (UIUC included). Depending on scholarship offers, I was thinking of waiting until next year and shooting for Chicago/Northwestern/Georgetown, but then debt would start to come into play considering they are more expensive and I wouldn't get much if any scholarships.
Since you only decided to look into law school a few months ago, I would DEFINITELY take a year off and make sure that law is what you really want to do. Also, T-14 schools are more national, so you don't have to limit yourself to applying to top tier schools in Chicago or DC. Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc. will probably open some opportunities in those markets. Of course, to have a shot at those schools you will most likely have to retake. (Your GPA is low for T-14. HYS and CCN are most likely out) Still though if you apply in October you could be looking at money at UIUC, WUSTL, or GW with your current numbers.

eshinabarger

New

Post by eshinabarger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:01 pm

cool, thanks bdole, that's solid advice. My only fixture on Chicago/DC is that I currently live in DC, but my wife is from Chicago and is dying to move back.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm

If you can come out of a T1 debt free, then go for it.
From a T1 you gave a good chance of getting a real job.

Doom&Gloom is coming out of a good law school with too much debt and no hope of paying it back, or coming out of a TTT with no job prospects

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:10 pm

If you started considering law school this past winter, it sounds like you scored a 168 without a ton of prep. Am I off base?

You should study more and retake the LSAT. Add 5+ points to your score, apply early, and you'll have several opportunities in the T14 and probably good money just outside of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

courtneysoliday

New

Post by courtneysoliday » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 pm

1. it's only three years.

2. why not?

3. don't let anyone tell YOU whether you should or should not go to law school that's your call homie...people are so quick to say you won't get a job as a lawyer before you even apply to law school, which is lame because you don't know that for sure and you definitely won't get a lawyer job if you don't go to law school.. what else are you really going to be doing?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Five more points and an early app or ED will probably get you into T-14.

George Washington for free doesn't sound too bad to me, especially considering your interests and background.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Five? How about two.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Five? How about two.
Well you'd know better but--would a 3.3/170 ED to Virginia get you in? It seems kind of 50/50.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”