Take Hastings or Loyola or Reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Take Hastings or Loyola or Reapply?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Retake, no doubt.

ml1212

Postby ml1212 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:27 pm

I actually really liked Hastings as a school and their PICAP loan repayment program is really great. everyone is always hating on them though...I'm just worried about not getting a job right away and then not even being able to utilize the PICAP....

Fordham would get me a good job though right? I mean I'm not going to be making the big bucks doing Public Interest, but i guess that is more reason to retake to try to get $$ at least somewhere besides loyola.

I'm not name obsessed with schools, just want good job security and job opportunities, but i guess that means i need to be name obsessed since so many employers are...

So retake? ugh. I hope i can score better after two failed attempts though.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:30 pm

ml1212 wrote:I'm not name obsessed with schools

Unfortunately employers are. I'd love to go to USD and hang out on the beach with my friends for 3 years, but I'd love a job even more.

You only get one chance to go to law school, might as well put your best foot forward going in.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 pm

People need to keep in mind that PI jobs have become, relatively speaking, both much more desirable and much harder to get now relative to private law jobs than they were even a few years ago. This is because:

(1) The fact that the federal government will forgive all your federal loans after 120 on-time income-based monthly payments is as a practical matter a HUGE salary supplement. It means that a $45K per year public interest job pays much more, in the long run, than $65K per year private law job.

(2) Government work and PI work continue to get crushed, far more so than big firm jobs.

(3) Nobody in government is retiring or moving to the private sector because of (1) and (2).

Saying "my debt won't matter because I'm going to do PI" is actually less realistic for most people than saying "my debt won't matter because I'm going to spend at least seven years at a big firm."

calawdude

Postby calawdude » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 pm

drmguy wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183053

One of the takeaways from the employment data is "holy crap hastings"

I've been seeing that list, but something seems odd about the data. Drake University is higher than Northwestern and Georgetown? Perhaps schools have different methods of recording data so some schools come out looking better using that methodology? Schools do that.

OP, I would do more research on job stats.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:15 pm

calawdude wrote:

I've been seeing that list, but something seems odd about the data. Drake University is higher than Northwestern and Georgetown? Perhaps schools have different methods of recording data so some schools come out looking better using that methodology? Schools do that.

Maybe people at Drake are more willing to take shit law than T14.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 pm

drmguy wrote:
calawdude wrote:

20% of the class at Drake is in "business and industry" (meaning non-legal low-paying). One third is either soloing or in firms of 2-10. Together that's more than half the class.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
drmguy wrote:
calawdude wrote:

20% of the class at Drake is in "business and industry" (meaning non-legal low-paying). One third is either soloing or in firms of 2-10. Together that's more than half the class.

Shit law + McDonald's

One problem with these stats is that people will continue to keep their blinders on so they don't have to face reality.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I think retake is tcr here. Even though you did worse on the second try and aren't sure you'll do better on the third, at least you'll know. If you go forward now, you'll always wonder about what could have been with a retake, especially if things don't shake out the way you want at Hastings/Loyola.

ml1212

Postby ml1212 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 pm

mehhhh retook today. not good. bad proctors, got messed up in my head, feel like it could be 150 -160s

got rejected off WL at Columbia today too. meh. and on georgetown wait list and they say they are pretty much full. my options appear to be final.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”