school...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lowereastside

Re: UPDATE: UC Hastings just called...

Postby lowereastside » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Does volunteering to be an ASD tour guide count as being sponsored? I got a whole hour of training on how to convince prospective students to ruin their lives by coming to Hastings!

Joking aside, I thought about posting here cause I remembered how freaking difficult it was to pick a law school last year. I was torturing myself, Cardozo v. Brooklyn, Brooklyn v. Hastings, Hastings v. Davis, etc etc. And I got some pretty harsh comments in response, which while not undeserved given that all the schools that I was able to get into were risks given that I wanted to do BigLaw, did make me feel incredibly bad about myself. And the thing I remembered appreciating the most was having students from those schools reach out to talk about their experiences, which helped me inform my decision.

Sounds like OP is pretty set on coming to Hastings, so I wasn't trying to sell Hastings, so much as offer to talk about my experiences here. If that makes me a shill...

(And disclaimer: which I hate to do, because it makes me sound like an utter tool, but just to make clear - I have only done 1L year so that limits some of my knowledge of the school. I got good grades and a good paying summer job, which isn't the norm for 1Ls, at Hastings or anywhere really. But esp given where I was prior to Hastings, and where I am now, I am so very grateful for all the doors Hastings has opened for me, which leads me to having very warm and fuzzy feelings for the school. I'm sure I would be less so if I wasn't doing well. But I think the quality of education is first rate and I've enjoyed being part of this community.

Its also not for everyone. Given what the market is, there is no question that Hastings is risky if you don't get good grades. Not impossible, but risky. If you do, though, employers love Hastings students who do well, because they still buy into the idea that Hastings is this incredibly competitive, shark tank of a school, so its a badge of honor to survive. It is up to each person to decide if they are willing to take the risk of not doing well. I was. There are people who shouldn't.)

I'll go back to being a fake overly invested shill for Hastings now.

Smooth Sail

Postby Smooth Sail » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:26 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:Thank you for your comment, Lowerestside.

Picking a law school is not an easy task. I'm sure I'll laugh about it later on, but so far I feel Hastings will give me the education and knowledge to expand my business. I have the same feelings about Tech as well, but I have support with the kids at Hastings. My in-laws and my mother will pitch in while I'm at school.

Next step is to start school and study my tail off, as I always have.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail

Feel free to pm if you have any questions. Also you should the Hastings 2015 thread for advice. I'll be offering my outlines there sometime later when people get their schedules.

Smooth Sail

Postby Smooth Sail » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:14 pm

It blows my mind you decided on Hastings after seeing their dismal employment data.

Good luck

Smooth Sail

Postby Smooth Sail » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Tech has better employment numbers, but if you're not concerned about trying to get a legal job and don't have to pay for tuition, then I can see your point. You better just hope you don't change your mind about your career goals after you start school

Return to “Choosing a Law School”