school... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
noleknight16

Silver

Re: Please help: L&C, Syracuse, Texas Tech, McGeorge, Tulsa...

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am

Smooth Sail wrote:Update:

Today I sent an email to Hastings ( a small missive stating my continued interest). Less than an hour later, I get an email back telling me not to write the school. They said they know I am wait listed, and wait to be contacted by them.

The ten deans I've met through this application process have told me to "continue to let the school know how badly you want to attend to get off the wait list." Were they lying to me or is this just Hastings? Does this type of attitude trickle down from the top down to the students?

I was ordered not to write them. They will forget who I am by Wednesday. Now I can't "continue" to show my interest in their school. I'm starting to feel I should stick to Texas Tech, even if I am admitted at Hastings...

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Hastings >>>> TTU. Especially since both are free with the GI bill.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm

don't let one rando in the admissions office convince you to go to tech over hastings. they do not represent the school-- it was one interaction.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am

Ugh. Get a new wife.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:39 am

My ex goes to Tech. She really enjoys it. It seems like a good place to be a college student. Have fun in Lubbock and good luck!

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawlcat4179

New

Post by lawlcat4179 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 am

Based off of what you said about your performance on the sections of the LSAT that you were able to complete, it definitely seems like going to Texas Tech would be selling yourself short. Liking the school and the people are one thing, but it doesn't make up for poor placement numbers. If you are missing virtually no questions on the LSAT you should obviously be in a T14 (or USC/UCLA). You mentioned earlier that you didn't want to waste another year with retaking/reapplying...

What would you think about this solution? Signing up to take the test again in June. That way you take the test again and if it goes poorly, you go to Texas Tech as planned. If you do much better (say 160+), you then withdraw from Texas Tech and reapply next year knowing you will have much better options. Also, in case you are wondering, a lower score in June (or even taking the test while already accepted at Texas Tech) will not hurt you with them at all. There is no risk of them taking away your acceptance or anything like that.

If you got to 160+, with your background/soft factors/medical addendum, it seems like you should send an app to Berkeley. If anyone would be willing to look past numbers, it would be them (plus they are a public school so tuition would be free).

I'm not familiar with your medical condition, but is there anyway possible to score higher/get through more sections? Could you power through the first 3 sections, guess on the next one (basically giving yourself a 45 minute rest), and then be recharged enough to do the 5th section?

When a lot of people prep for the LSAT, they focus on learning to answer the questions. You seem to not really need help with that, its more of an endurance issue. Since you know the accommodations they will be providing you, is there anyway you can practice different strategies under those time constraints to see how best to maximize your score?

You said you like overcoming challenges... seems like finding a creative way to dominate the LSAT (which you are clearly capable of doing) would be right up your alley.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:13 am

I'm all for people choosing Tech over Hastings. Some people value things like fit, culture, extracurricular activities, and family housing much more than employment prospects. Other people on this site would tell you to go to Hastings because it is more "prestigious." Prestigious to who? Big Law employers who you have no interest in working for? Prestige is a function of community, and in west Texas, Tech is going to be way more "prestigious."

However, I can't say I'm totally settled on some of your reasons for choosing Tech. If your family is from the Bay area and you all have plans to move back there, you should really try to get into Hastings. Moreover, if you want to live in Utah, you need to apply/re-apply to the U or BYU. I know you mentioned that Tech is well known in Utah, but I assure you that is because of their football team, not their law school. You sound like a guy who could make it work, but no one on here is going to recommend that you go to law school at Tech unless you want to work in Texas, specifically west Texas or the hill country as that is where most of their grads end up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri May 11, 2012 4:24 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Gold

Re: UPDATE: UC Hastings just called...

Post by Sandro » Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 am

haha

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri May 11, 2012 6:53 am

Even though the GI Bill will let you graduate with less debt, you should never intend on going to a law school you wouldn't mind graduating from, as it is very competitive to be able to transfer.

With that GPA, you should definitely apply for this upcoming cycle and bust your ass studying for the LSAT. Even if you just improve to a 160, your options with a higher score and good softs will open you up to a lot more schools. Bottom line, even though the GI Bill will cover you a good bit, it's never a good idea to go to a school where only 10% of the class get decent jobs and the remainder become (insert shitty job here).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 11, 2012 8:48 am

Smooth Sail wrote:Update:

UC Hastings called and offered me a seat...

I have already committed to Texas Tech (which is a great fit for me), but so is Hastings, especially going back home to California.

Quick update: main focus is business and intellectual property (with a touch of entertainment if the school offers it).

Should I continue my plans with Tech?
How much debt would you have coming out of Hastings with your GI Bill?

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri May 11, 2012 11:15 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 am

Smooth Sail wrote:The GI Bill will pay full tuition and fees at Hastings since it is a public school. It also does the same for Tech.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Hastings bro. Good luck to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Smooth Sail wrote:The GI Bill will pay full tuition and fees at Hastings since it is a public school. It also does the same for Tech.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Hastings bro. Good luck to you.
I concur.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri May 11, 2012 11:32 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm

If you are serious about IP, then Hastings. If the debt is the same at either school, it seems prudent to take the higher-regarded school that can place you in the region where IP is really hot. I understand your quality of life may be better in Texas, and that's something to work out with your family, but its three years that will determine your future career.

There should be no ethical problem withdrawing from Tech if you got off the Hastings waitlist.

Also, thank you for your service.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Fri May 11, 2012 2:19 pm

UC Hastings and never look back. You will have so many more opportunities from Hastings than Tech. I went to Tech for UG and its not a horrible school before I found this site I thought oh I will just go to Tech for LS and I will have it made but for LS the name on your degree means a lot more than you would think. I will probably get some flack from this, but if you do really well and get in the top 10% (I know 90% will fail, but 10% still will succeed) then you are looking at way better job prospects and transfer options. Just have your wife spend about a day on this site, and she will start packing stuff to move to Hastings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Have fun at Hastings and enjoy Cali! :D

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Welcome to Hastings!

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Fri May 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Smooth Sail, congrats on getting off the wait list. All things equal, and it appears that they are due to the GI Bill, I'd suggest Hastings over TT for your career ambitions.

I wish you the best of luck.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”