school... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Diamond

Re: Please help me choose a school, seat deposits are coming up!

Post by flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:Thank you for the breakdown, calawdude.

My GI Bill covers full tuition at Hastings. I will push harder to get off the wait list. If all fails, I will lean towards Texas Tech.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
The correct idea. Good luck to you sir.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm

I think this is a valuable resource:

--LinkRemoved--

Just click on "Law Firms" -> choose "Entertainment" (or whatever else type of law you want to check out) -> then choose the school that you are looking at.

This gives you a rough ballpark of NALP firms that recruit out of a school. Whether or not this data is a good metric for the caliber of the school's OCI, I do not know...but, it can at least give you one more data point for comparison.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:One firm came up in Dallas, but they don't do OCIs at Texas Tech. Also, Hastings didn't show up either. It's going to be tough, but I like it that way.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Yeah, entertainment law is a tough gig. Just from perusing TLS it seems that entertainment law is dominated by USC/UCLA and then T6. And, it seems to be a niche community that is probably based on networking with an alum network, even more so than any other type of law. This is anecdotal though, and I have no experience, but this is just what it seems to me. If you are not attending T6/USC/UCLA, you probably have an uphill battle. Hastings has a pretty strong alum network for corporate law though (because of its location in SF proper). I think of the schools that are a possibility, Hastings is your best bet at anything.

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:31 pm

No problem, Smooth Sail. That list was pretty useful for me and a bunch of others. No matter where you go, you'll be able to gauge the schools in your region, so I'm glad to share. Good luck man.

Thanks for that link, TLS_noobie. Very useful. Best of luck to you, too!

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:34 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Smooth Sail wrote:I prefer California and New york, but I will go where the job sends me.

I did retake the LSAT, and both times I had to stop in the third section. I scored the same for completing two complete sections (analytic, logical), and one set of the reading comprehension section. Unfortunately, my health prevents me from sitting for the whole test. I was wounded in combat, and my body is paying dearly for the injuries.

Hence, the reason I'm looking for the solid education. I could only hope for the best when it comes to job placement from the current list of schools. I'm also not going to wait for them to place me, I will be out there hustling myself.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Jesus bro, that's unfortunate. Especially (if I am reading this right) you were able to get a 154 leaving 2 entire sections blank.

I would think about a different career path given the circumstances.
Even if the OP answered every question right in the first two sections and each question right in the first passage, and none of those sections were the experimental, that would only be ~57 credited responses. Assuming he is not overly lucky, guessing on the rest of the test would yield another 8 correct answers, giving him roughly a 154. Honestly though, that is highly unlikely,
and there is probably more to the story.

Anyway, OP, thank you for serving our country. I think you would do well at Tech.

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:38 pm

TLS_noobie wrote:
Smooth Sail wrote:One firm came up in Dallas, but they don't do OCIs at Texas Tech. Also, Hastings didn't show up either. It's going to be tough, but I like it that way.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Yeah, entertainment law is a tough gig. Just from perusing TLS it seems that entertainment law is dominated by USC/UCLA and then T6. And, it seems to be a niche community that is probably based on networking with an alum network, even more so than any other type of law. This is anecdotal though, and I have no experience, but this is just what it seems to me. If you are not attending T6/USC/UCLA, you probably have an uphill battle. Hastings has a pretty strong alum network for corporate law though (because of its location in SF proper). I think of the schools that are a possibility, Hastings is your best bet at anything.
Yea. I agree with this. For entertainment law, definitely the schools TLS_noobie mentioned, otherwise, it'll be an uphill battle, but you said you like it that way, and I'm sure you know what's best for your future.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:Yes, Alan.

Luckily, both my experimental sections fell in the fourth and fifth section of the tests. Latest test: I did get 50 out of 50 in the first two sections, and 6 correct in the first part of the reading comprehension. I guess-filled in the rest of the section before stopping the test, and that gave me an extra four points totaling a raw score of 60. That's how I got the 154.

Again, pet peeve when people are off topic. Imagine if I was not focusing at the task at hand when I was in combat...I bet you I would not be here debating which law school I should attend. Instead, my body would be shredded by explosives or torn apart by a few hundred rounds from the enemy, and my wife would be receiving a flag for my loss, leaving my children fatherless.
Well if you were bullshitting like this in combat you probably would have been fragged. So there's that.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Well if you were bullshitting like this in combat you probably would have been fragged. So there's that.
120 bro. Retake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Smooth Sail wrote:Yes, Alan.

Luckily, both my experimental sections fell in the fourth and fifth section of the tests. Latest test: I did get 50 out of 50 in the first two sections, and 6 correct in the first part of the reading comprehension. I guess-filled in the rest of the section before stopping the test, and that gave me an extra four points totaling a raw score of 60. That's how I got the 154.
I'm afraid this is true. Prior to October 2011 the experimental section is always within the first 3 sections of the test. Not sure when you sat for the test, but if it was before then, there is no way your experimentals were after the third section (as far as I know). And as far as pet-peeves are concerned, scrutinizing the background info of a topic is not necessarily going off-topic which is what Alan did. He also left a recommendation that was directly relevant to the topic at hand. Law is not combat and scrutinizing information that is both directly and indirectly relevant to the topic is of the utmost importance in this profession.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 pm

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:Once again people are off topic like Mr/Ms. Tiago Splitter.

I actually sent the law schools my answer sheet and explained my situation in an addendum. Maybe based off of the evidence I provided, good GPA, and a nice personal statement, I am being offered full scholarships at the schools I listed in my original post. By the way, I took the October 2011, and December 2011, test if you must know.

My question before was which school would be the best with the strongest curriculum. I've added additional details from people's questions in the threads.

I have not disrespected anyone on this thread. Please keep your personal comments to yourself when it does not pertain to my question.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Well, this is good then. What are the stips though? Did you include an addendum with your original applications? Because if you did not, you probably should have (this is a legitimate problem that hampered your LSAT score but should not necessarily hamper your ability as a lawyer).

EDIT: this is definitely something you should talk about in a LOCI to Hastings. I don't remember if you mentioned that you told your problems to Hastings or not, but you should definitely do this. This is probably your best chance to get off the waitlist...
Last edited by TLS_noobie on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:I asked for the best school out of my list, not how I received my score. Maybe not sticking to the topic is why so many new attorneys or law students continue to state that they are unemployed or can't land a job...just a thought.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
The following comment is directly related to the topic introduced by OP in his own thread:
Law grads are unemployed probably less so from not "sticking to the topic" and more so from choosing schools that are TT/TTT/TTTT because they refuse to retake....

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Unfortunately, if you want to have a small practice in entertainment and sports law you need to do law school in a metro area with a ton of small boutique firms that specialize in that area. I assume business law means transactional/contract work for people in sports and entertainment. When trying to start up a small firm there are three things you need to consider 1) CLIENTS, 2) experience (can I do the work), 3) finances (how will I fund my practice while I develop 1 and 2).

1 will be next to impossible to get out of law school. It is very hard for newbie lawyers to find clients, period. It is much harder for them to find clients who pay, on time and the full amount. Especially when you are dealing with actors, musicians, etc. Sports law is a whole different animal- that's an extremely niche field that is very hard to break into unless you were a college level athlete.

2 you will probably develop if you can find a job at a smaller firm that specializes in these areas. This will be hard to do because you don't bring 1 to the table. There are so many lawyers out there willing to work for peanuts. But if you can get into a decent firm, you can develop both experience in doing the work and a sense of where there are clients who aren't being served as well as a network of lawyers to refer you clients. No law school will truly prepare you to open your own practice even just in terms of being able to do a good job on the work- this is only something that is viable with a few years of practice experience.

3 requires you to have very little debt out of law school and aggressively save. It is going to be some time, if ever, before your practice gets off the ground and until then you will be fronting the costs. It is just like starting any other small business.

Now you could go the biglaw route, which would mean you get very good experience and could probably lateral to a smaller firm after a few years. However, this will require a much better LSAT score and higher ranked school.

Right now, I would retake, reapply, and target schools in the metro areas with the greatest market for the kind of work you want to do. Find out how many lawyers work in small firms in your desired practice area (under 25 attnys) because these are the kind of people you will want to work for. If you can meet them for coffee or get advice for them that would be ideal.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Unfortunately, if you want to have a small practice in entertainment and sports law you need to do law school in a metro area with a ton of small boutique firms that specialize in that area. I assume business law means transactional/contract work for people in sports and entertainment. When trying to start up a small firm there are three things you need to consider 1) CLIENTS, 2) experience (can I do the work), 3) finances (how will I fund my practice while I develop 1 and 2).

1 will be next to impossible to get out of law school. It is very hard for newbie lawyers to find clients, period. It is much harder for them to find clients who pay, on time and the full amount. Especially when you are dealing with actors, musicians, etc. Sports law is a whole different animal- that's an extremely niche field that is very hard to break into unless you were a college level athlete.

2 you will probably develop if you can find a job at a smaller firm that specializes in these areas. This will be hard to do because you don't bring 1 to the table. There are so many lawyers out there willing to work for peanuts. But if you can get into a decent firm, you can develop both experience in doing the work and a sense of where there are clients who aren't being served as well as a network of lawyers to refer you clients. No law school will truly prepare you to open your own practice even just in terms of being able to do a good job on the work- this is only something that is viable with a few years of practice experience.

3 requires you to have very little debt out of law school and aggressively save. It is going to be some time, if ever, before your practice gets off the ground and until then you will be fronting the costs. It is just like starting any other small business.

Now you could go the biglaw route, which would mean you get very good experience and could probably lateral to a smaller firm after a few years. However, this will require a much better LSAT score and higher ranked school.

Right now, I would retake, reapply, and target schools in the metro areas with the greatest market for the kind of work you want to do. Find out how many lawyers work in small firms in your desired practice area (under 25 attnys) because these are the kind of people you will want to work for. If you can meet them for coffee or get advice for them that would be ideal.
TITCR. I think this is definitely the route to take. I have also heard that for entertainment law LA/NYC are really the best places to break into but still extraordinarily hard. This means T6 or USC/UCLA, as previously stated.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:Thank you, timbs4339. I enjoyed the information you provided.

Also for other threads, I have retaken the test, so I have not refused to retake. At this point, I don't want to lie to myself and say my body can handle the test so well that I can actually finish. I've tried twice, and both times I could not finish. Also, don't want to risk a lower score...

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
You're welcome. It's good to see more people with an entrepreneurial spirit entering the profession. The only problem is you have to be more strategic about your choice of school, minimize debt (it's going to be hard to get a line of credit when you have non-dischargeable debt) and commit to working outside of the school in your chosen field during the year to get experience.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Smooth Sail wrote: Whittier-Top 5%
Lololol

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 pm

2014 wrote:
Smooth Sail wrote: Whittier-Top 5%
Lololol
srsly that is the most TTTT stip I have ever seen ever

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”