school... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jeremyl

New

Re: UPDATE: UC Hastings just called...

Post by Jeremyl » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 pm

At Hastings, they had more of their 2010 graduates "employed" by the law school (58) than any other job category, except firms 2-10 (60). And even then, only 38 of those 60 in firms 2-10 were full time.

42% of that class was either unemployed or in a part-time job. 42 percent!!! That means just a little over half had a full time job, and who knows how many of those full time jobs actually require a jd.

http://placementsummary.abaquestionnair ... eport.aspx
Smooth Sail wrote: I hope it's more than just the rank behind the recommendations.
Sadly, I'm afraid it isn't.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat May 12, 2012 9:44 am

Jeremyl wrote:At Hastings, they had more of their 2010 graduates "employed" by the law school (58) than any other job category, except firms 2-10 (60). And even then, only 38 of those 60 in firms 2-10 were full time.

42% of that class was either unemployed or in a part-time job. 42 percent!!! That means just a little over half had a full time job, and who knows how many of those full time jobs actually require a jd.

Smooth Sail wrote: I hope it's more than just the rank behind the recommendations.
No, people are saying it because it provides better job opportunities than his other options , especially if he wants CA and IP.

Jeremyl

New

Post by Jeremyl » Sat May 12, 2012 12:34 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Jeremyl wrote:At Hastings, they had more of their 2010 graduates "employed" by the law school (58) than any other job category, except firms 2-10 (60). And even then, only 38 of those 60 in firms 2-10 were full time.

No, people are saying it because it provides better job opportunities than his other options , especially if he wants CA and IP.
Oh please do explain

I'll concede that if the OP wants CA, then he should go to a school in CA.

But unless he wants a part-time job at the law school (which is basically where the largest percentage of its 2010 class ended up), I'd advise not to go to Hastings. When the chance of you being unemployed or in a part time job is 23% greater than your chances of landing in a firm of 51+, I'd say you don't have good, realistic job opportunities. But that's just me.

ETA: there is a 14% greater chance of ending up unemployed or in a part-time jerb than the chances of landing a full time gig in a firm 11+!!!! There is a 5% greater chance that you will end up unemployed or in a part time job than the chances of getting a full time job in a firm with more than one attorney!!! Holy moly

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Sun May 13, 2012 3:36 am

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:47 am

Do not go to Hastings. I'm a current student and I can tell you from more than anecdotal knowledge, graduates are not getting jobs. Tuition is unjustifiable. What's worse is taking out loans to live in San Francisco or anywhere sufficiently adjoining to make a commute doable. Next year's expected financial need doing it all on loans with a 15k grant, 67K. That's one year. They've bumped tuition 6-7K every year, and bumped all fees and costs another 2-3K...every year. Go where you pay less if you insist on going to law school. You will be destroying your life with non-dischargeable loans if you do not. Furthermore, 50% of my bar classes are being taught by adjuncts who have active practices and, frankly, remind students in class that they are not getting paid and do not have sufficient time to devote to class. The full-time faculty is mostly disinterested/ apparently annoyed to have to answer student questions. A few are gems. Some that are gems have left the school. Take this very seriously. Too many of my friends lives have been destroyed by that place, and I'm likely next.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Re: Please help: L&C, Syracuse, Texas Tech, McGeorge, Tulsa...

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:08 am

Smooth Sail wrote:Thank you for the feedback from your former companion, noleknight16. Hope it turns around for you two and things get better.

I'm very excited for Tech this fall. Already began the uphill climb with finding a new house, elementary school, moving company, renters for my house, etc, etc...

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
Probably a good call, I wouldn't go to Hastings if I had kids.

Unfortunately you'll find law schools are all competitive and stressful, dont let the marketing fool you.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smooth Sail

New

Post by Smooth Sail » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Last edited by Smooth Sail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

lowereastside

New

Post by lowereastside » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Hello, I'm a rising 2L at Hastings, and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I really have enjoyed my time so far at Hastings, and have found most of my professors to be very invested in the students. Caveat of course is that I was lucky enough to do well enough 1L year to have a job this summer and a decent chance at OCI ::knock on wood::

I commuted every day to class too, and its not so bad. You can get a lot of reading done on the train (or in my case, sleep because I'm lazy), and its nice to sort to get away from law school everyday and just be at home and not be a law student.

Let me know if you have any questions about surviving Hastings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Smooth Sail wrote:Thank you for your input, Borhas.

This has become difficult again. I've already made all of my living arrangemnets for Hastings. I don't mind doing it all over again especially as Monetaryeasing stated, the faculty is not in it 100% due to their own financial struggles.

The upside for me is I am moving my family near our parents to help out while I'm at school (Hastings). It will be a commute on the train everyday, but my wife will have a better chance of maintaining her sanity.

Respectfully,

Smooth Sail
I'm only a rising 2L but I've liked all of my professors this year and I felt like they made an effort to be available and they were helpful. With some of them I felt like they genuinely cared about how I performed and about me.

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:52 pm

NP. Also, I don't know who these posters are who claim to be Hastings students, but let me be frank, I see a lot of posts that are generic and don't sound at all like they're from actual students - or, they sound sponsored. They're never specific and a bit, I dunno, invested in selling the school. I've seen this a lot around the web in re Hastings. I'm happy to provide my hastings e-mail to prove to you that I'm not getting paid to give positive feedback. the format for hastings e-mails are lastname(sometimes first initial too)@ uchastings.edu If some other poster give you glowing reviews, I would seriously ask for a Hastings e-mail before relying. These people do not reflect the overwhelming majority opinion on campus about the school.

P.s. it's not too late to withdrawal. Probably no one else is going to give you advice like this, and I realize you're set. But it's the straight dope, as they say. As for OCI, unpaid summer internships are not leading to full-time offers, and this has become so apparent to the exploited student populace that career dev sends out desperate e-mails about how OCI is under-bid (i.e. no one even wants to get interviewed because it's a waste of their time). Save yourself.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:NP. Also, I don't know who these posters are who claim to be Hastings students, but let me be frank, I see a lot of posts that are generic and don't sound at all like they're from actual students - or, they sound sponsored. They're never specific and a bit, I dunno, invested in selling the school. I've seen this a lot around the web in re Hastings. I'm happy to provide my hastings e-mail to prove to you that I'm not getting paid to give positive feedback. the format for hastings e-mails are lastname(sometimes first initial too)@ uchastings.edu If some other poster give you glowing reviews, I would seriously ask for a Hastings e-mail before relying. These people do not reflect the overwhelming majority opinion on campus about the school.

P.s. it's not too late to withdrawal. Probably no one else is going to give you advice like this, and I realize you're set. But it's the straight dope, as they say. As for OCI, unpaid summer internships are not leading to full-time offers, and this has become so apparent to the exploited student populace that career dev sends out desperate e-mails about how OCI is under-bid (i.e. no one even wants to get interviewed because it's a waste of their time). Save yourself.
Fake? I have 4,000 posts and have been around for a while. You have two posts. Sorry I happen to like my school and have generally good things to say about it, while you are seriously butthurt.

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Actually, I have a paid gig, no thanks to the school. Just cuz you have posts, doesn't make you not an admin. Going ahead an PM me your hastings email. thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

4k plus posts. exactly. you're on here like it's your job. you could be legit. just prove it, if you're going to talk.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:50 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:4k plus posts. exactly. you're on here like it's your job. you could be legit. just prove it, if you're going to talk.
Um no, I am not giving you my real name. Look through my post history if you are curious about me.

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Oh, well, you could give it to prospective students as I offered to do with mine. Your refusal shows you're a fake. Knowing things about the school hardly excludes that you work for them. Since you won't prove your identity I propose the whole forum should not trust what you have to say. Anyone who wants to verify I'm actually a student, can PM me and I'll prove it. See ya faker.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:4k plus posts. exactly. you're on here like it's your job. you could be legit. just prove it, if you're going to talk.
What the?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:00 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:Oh, well, you could give it to prospective students as I offered to do with mine. Your refusal shows you're a fake. Knowing things about the school hardly excludes that you work for them. Since you won't prove your identity I propose the whole forum should not trust what you have to say. Anyone who wants to verify I'm actually a student, can PM me and I'll prove it. See ya faker.
It's ok, this post just proves you are crazy.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:16 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:Oh, well, you could give it to prospective students as I offered to do with mine. Your refusal shows you're a fake. Knowing things about the school hardly excludes that you work for them. Since you won't prove your identity I propose the whole forum should not trust what you have to say. Anyone who wants to verify I'm actually a student, can PM me and I'll prove it. See ya faker.

Oh fuck off
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:18 pm

oh yeah, you're the one who refuses to verify. i've personally witnessed hastings pose as students and post on ATL to continue their pump and dump. i guess we can leave it up to those seeking advice whether or no they want to believe your representations. i'll prove it, you won't. that's it.
Last edited by monetaryeasing on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:oh yeah, you're the one who refuses to verify. i've personally witnessed hastings employees pose as students and post on ATL to continue their pump and dump. i guess we can leave it up to those seeking advice whether or no they want to believe your representations. i'll prove it, you won't. that's it.
This is fucking egregious UC Davis trolling

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

monetaryeasing

New

Post by monetaryeasing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm

really, go ahead and PM me and i'll send you an email from my hastings address

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 pm

monetaryeasing wrote:really, go ahead and PM me and i'll send you an email from my hastings address
Given your crazy and obnoxious body of work, I have no desire to ever come into contact with you off tls.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:52 pm

He does have a point, Hastings has at least one shill on TLS.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/s ... 5&sr=posts

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 pm

splitsplat wrote:He does have a point, Hastings has at least one shill on TLS.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/s ... 5&sr=posts
That person is so obvious, even I called them out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”