Cornell vs Texas: a battle of ties and $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell (200k debt) vs Texas (130 debt)

Cornell 200k debt
82%
Texas 130k debt
18%

Total votes: 28

daddymacaco1111

Cornell vs Texas: a battle of ties and $$$

Postby daddymacaco1111 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 pm

I am from NYC originally and have no ties whatsoever to Texas. That said i do not think that the employment prospect at cornell relative to texas justifiy the additional 70k. I will be looking towards biglaw when i graduate in order to pay off my loans, after which i am still unsure what i want to pursue.

My main fear is that as a New Yorker with zero teis to Texas I will have trouble upon graduation, can anyone speak to this? If you are a UT student with no ties I would love to hear your input. The debt amounts include scholarships as well as cost of living.

I dont need any advice about how i should retake or not go to school at all, the question is between these two options. Which one do you think is better?

bruss

Re: Cornell vs Texas: a battle of ties and $$$

Postby bruss » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 pm

daddymacaco1111 wrote:I am from NYC originally and have no ties whatsoever to Texas. That said i do not think that the employment prospect at cornell relative to texas justifiy the additional 70k. I will be looking towards biglaw when i graduate in order to pay off my loans, after which i am still unsure what i want to pursue.

My main fear is that as a New Yorker with zero teis to Texas I will have trouble upon graduation, can anyone speak to this? If you are a UT student with no ties I would love to hear your input. The debt amounts include scholarships as well as cost of living.

I dont need any advice about how i should retake or not go to school at all, the question is between these two options. Which one do you think is better?

Answer this question. Do you think Texas is gonna hire a city slicker from NY?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm

bruss wrote:
daddymacaco1111 wrote:I am from NYC originally and have no ties whatsoever to Texas. That said i do not think that the employment prospect at cornell relative to texas justifiy the additional 70k. I will be looking towards biglaw when i graduate in order to pay off my loans, after which i am still unsure what i want to pursue.

What in the fuck are you talking about?

T00L

Postby T00L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm

tag. interest

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
bruss wrote:

iont take to kindly ta city slickers

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 pm

I would disagree (and add an "s").

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
bruss wrote:

hahaha, seriously.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:37 pm

out-of-state UT student here

at 130K debt, you're still likely to need biglaw to pay it off in a reasonable time. your chances of biglaw coming from Cornell are really that much better, especially ITE. the reason is because Cornell places great in NYC biglaw, and NYC is the only market that's recovered.

as for whether out of state w/ no TX ties can get TX biglaw at UT, yes you can. it'll be harder relative to native texans, but still doable. a lot of it will depend on what you do once you're here (i.e., spending 1L summer in-state, joining TX-focused groups, etc) and grades, obviously.

daddymacaco1111

Postby daddymacaco1111 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 am

f0bolous wrote:

out-of-state UT student here

at 130K debt, you're still likely to need biglaw to pay it off in a reasonable time. your chances of biglaw coming from Cornell are really that much better, especially ITE. the reason is because Cornell places great in NYC biglaw, and NYC is the only market that's recovered.

as for whether out of state w/ no TX ties can get TX biglaw at UT, yes you can. it'll be harder relative to native texans, but still doable. a lot of it will depend on what you do once you're here (i.e., spending 1L summer in-state, joining TX-focused groups, etc) and grades, obviously.

Thanks for your helpful reply

Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:49 pm

bruss wrote:

LOL :roll:

Contrary to popular belief, Texas DOES have developed, first world, cities.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”