GULC 105k vs NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU vs GULC

NYU
50%
GULC (35k/year)
50%

Total votes: 62

chipchip

Re: GULC 105k vs NYU

Postby chipchip » Mon May 14, 2012 3:20 pm

I do take issue. Not everyone above median wants to do biglaw. Several people below it got offers. The median cutoff doesn't dictate who is getting the jobs. The point is that of course if you do better, you've got more options, but that doesn't mean it's a "less than 50% chance." That's not how this works.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon May 14, 2012 3:55 pm

chipchip wrote:
2. Not necessarily. The question is how much do you want to risk being $100k in debt with no job/LRAP that will help you deal with it? There is probably less than a 50% chance of getting biglaw from Georgetown, at NYU 80% of people who tried to get biglaw jobs last fall got them. That said, $100k is payable with the $50k or so non-big law salary if you get at least some job from Georgetown (which most do, even if they aren't big law) but it won't be pleasant. Paying down that extra $105k from NYU, even with big law, is probably equally unpleasant. Basically if you go to NYU and you kill it, you might regret spending the extra $105k. If you go to NYU and you are median or below, you might feel relieved that you did.

This statement isn't really taking into account more self-selection into non-biglaw at GULC. Speaking as a GULC student, the fact is that if you do well enough your first year (above median, really, and even if not it's not necessarily a wash) you should be in a strong position to get interviews/offers during EIW for NYC. This year's 2L class did well and hiring definitely was up. So, frankly, I think taking the $105K from GULC is a very good decision. And if biglaw ultimately isn't in the cards for you because your interests change, we obviously have a strong LRAP and plenty of avenues into public interest.

If you go to NYU and kill it, your chances are the same as when you go to GULC and kill it in many cases. My .02 cents.

If you kill it at either school, your chances are going to be about equal (if you really want Wachtell or Cravath something, killing it at NYU is probably still a little better).

NYU has just as many, if not more, students who self-select out of big law as GULC. We have a giant PI contingent and most of them don't even try to get a biglaw job. I'm sure there are plenty at GULC who also aren't gunning for biglaw. That's why I said 80% of the people at NYU who try to get biglaw get it. I still don't think 80% of the people at GULC who want biglaw get it. Below median or median is still a safer position at NYU than at GULC. That said, I don't really think that NYU's superiority in job placement over GULC is worth $105k. If you end up in the bottom 20% or top 20% at either, its probably better to be at GULC for $105k less, is probably better because you will either get biglaw and save $105k or not have $105k to pay back when you don't have a job at graduation. If OP ends up in the middle, NYU is the safer bet, whether its $105k safer is up to him.
Last edited by chasgoose on Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Mon May 14, 2012 5:31 pm

^ That I agree with.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:22 pm

What are the total COA's for each (including the GULC scholarship and the NYU living with family)? Also, considering using the GULC $$$ to negotiate with NYU and get some money from them to see how much of a difference you can make up.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon May 14, 2012 7:03 pm

keg411 wrote:What are the total COA's for each (including the GULC scholarship and the NYU living with family)? Also, considering using the GULC $$$ to negotiate with NYU and get some money from them to see how much of a difference you can make up.

Using GULC's finaid calculator and assuming he saves 15k/yr by living at home, COA diff is still 100k after accounting for interest/tuition hikes

(couldn't find GULC's COA so just assumed 75k)

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/Ge ... entsV2.htm

Plus at GULC he would not have to live with the family

145k at GULC, 250k at NYU if saving on COL.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon May 14, 2012 7:04 pm

keg411 wrote:What are the total COA's for each (including the GULC scholarship and the NYU living with family)? Also, considering using the GULC $$$ to negotiate with NYU and get some money from them to see how much of a difference you can make up.

Using GULC's finaid calculator and assuming he saves 15k/yr by living at home, COA diff is 70k after accounting for interest/tuition hikes

(couldn't find GULC's COA so just assumed 75k)

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/Ge ... entsV2.htm

Plus at GULC he would not have to live with the family

145k at GULC, 214k at NYU if saving on COL.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”