U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aho187
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 pm

U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

Postby aho187 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Got accepted into all three, but only got scholarships from louisville and tech. 10k for both. Transferring is a possibility for I want to end up at at top 25 school. Miami is the highest rank but double the tuition. I want to end up in the US attorneys office(brother has connections with DOJ). I am 26 and retake is not an option. Florida State is my reach school and still waiting on them. 155 and 3.5. Which would you choose? Considering possibly transferring after 1L and best position for career prospects.

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

Postby SunshineMagic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 pm

aho187 wrote:Got accepted into all three, but only got scholarships from louisville and tech. 10k for both. Transferring is a possibility for I want to end up at at top 25 school. Miami is the highest rank but double the tuition. I want to end up in the US attorneys office(brother has connections with DOJ). I am 26 and retake is not an option. Florida State is my reach school and still waiting on them. 155 and 3.5. Which would you choose? Considering possibly transferring after 1L and best position for career prospects.


Everyone is going to tell you to retake.... The real question is where do you want to work after school? If Florida I would go to FIU instate over miami at sticker

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm

aho187 wrote:Got accepted into all three, but only got scholarships from louisville and tech. 10k for both. Transferring is a possibility for I want to end up at at top 25 school. Miami is the highest rank but double the tuition. I want to end up in the US attorneys office(brother has connections with DOJ). I am 26 and retake is not an option. Florida State is my reach school and still waiting on them. 155 and 3.5. Which would you choose? Considering possibly transferring after 1L and best position for career prospects.


1) Going to a school planning on transferring is a poor plan. Don't go anywhere you won't be happy graduating from. And a 3.5 / 155 doesn't exactly scream "high academic achievement." To transfer to a T25, you'll need to be in the top 10%, maybe better.

2) You won't get the USAO straight out of law school. You'll need at a minimum 3 years of substantive legal experience, preferably as a prosecutor or litigator.

3) Retake.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm

kalvano wrote:1) Going to a school planning on transferring is a poor plan. Don't go anywhere you won't be happy graduating from. And a 3.5 / 155 doesn't exactly scream "high academic achievement." To transfer to a T25, you'll need to be in the top 10%, maybe better.

2) You won't get the USAO straight out of law school. You'll need at a minimum 3 years of substantive legal experience, preferably as a prosecutor or litigator.

3) Retake.


TITCR.

The chance that you won't be in the top 10% is high, and you can't redo your first year. The potential rewards with a retake are high and the risk is low, versus a 90% chance that you won't be in the top 10% and stuck with non-dischargeable debt.


aho187 wrote: I am 26 and retake is not an option.


Retaking is always an option. Retaking your 1L isn't.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:31 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: U of Miami vs Louisville vs Texas Tech

Postby envisciguy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:11 pm

I agree with what all the other posters have said so far, but if you're set on one of those three, I'd rule out Miami unless you're convinced you want to work in South Florida. Even then, I don't think it's worth sticker.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JD_Kingfish and 3 guests