Home and money or love and prestige?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

Iowa
62%
DePaul
38%

Total votes: 21

mrcrowley429

Home and money or love and prestige?

Postby mrcrowley429 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:05 pm

So, i have wanted to labor law since high school, and i went to the University of iowa for undergrad. There i met a wonderful women and we were together for 2.5 years, she is the first person i have ever loved and she means/meant the world to me. So this year she has been over come by the idea of me moving back to chicago, because i got into depaul, and she broke up with me because of the long distance and the fact that she has one more year until she can graduate. This happened last week. The door is still open to being with her but its just the distance and timing factor she still says that she would like to be with me if these factors were not an issue. I never wanted to ask her to change her goals for me or me her. Here's the kicker I have been accepted to depaul with 45,000 dollars in scholarship over three years, and today i heard that i have been wait listed at Iowa and i think i can get in, especially since i have shown interest in living in iowa after, what would be, 7 years of living here. The only thing is i do not think i would get any money from iowa, and i would have to rent an apartment again, as apposed to living at home in Chicago.
So im just looking for some statements on what you would do in my situation. Would you go to the best school you applied (Iowa) take the financial hit, and try to be with your first love(which even if it didnt work out you would still have a degree from a top school) and your new friends in a great city you love(iowa city), or would you go home(the best city in the world, Chicago), be with your old friends and family, at a lower ranked school(depaul), but with a little more than 1/3 paid for your schooling?

Alan

Re: Home and money or love and prestige?

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:20 pm

If you can get in, go to uber prestigious Iowa.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't usually chime in with this, but the best course is probably to retake the LSAT. Maybe stay in Iowa while you study so you can be with your girlfriend and try to up your LSAT so you can not only get into Iowa, but perhaps get money as well.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:04 pm

envisciguy wrote:I don't usually chime in with this, but the best course is probably to retake the LSAT.

mrcrowley429

Postby mrcrowley429 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I have taken it 3 times already

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Home and money can get you love and prestige.

Love and prestige won't get you home and money.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 pm

mrcrowley429 wrote:I have taken it 3 times already

In that case, Iowa might be your best choice, especially if you want to work there after you get your JD. It's a tough decision either way though.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Alan wrote:If you can get in, go to uber prestigious Iowa.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I got into Iowa without money and got into DePaul with around 60k. I'm personally turning both down.

I think DePaul is a no go. It's outrageously expensive and 45k won't cover the risk.
Iowa's a good school. I also did my undergrad there and feel you, as I love Iowa City; however, I think going there without money is also pretty risky.

I'd do what others are saying and retake.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm

llachans wrote:I'd do what others are saying and retake.

poor RC.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm

She dumped you and you're making huge life decisions on the chance that it could get you back together with her?

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Always Credited wrote:She dumped you and you're making huge life decisions on the chance that it could get you back together with her?

Hahaha, I love this.

But for real, OP, I feel your pain bro. I'm seriously considering going to BU (provided they give me lots o'monies) over G'Town with $$$$ just because it will give me the chance to *potentially* get back together with my ex. Georgetown is by no means the greatest school in the world, but I must be fucking crazy to seriously be considering this. Yet, I am- man card officially revoked. Hopefully I get in off one of my several wls and my reason will overcome my emotion...

Anyway, I have no idea what you should do. If you get in off the wl at Iowa, I would go. Other than that...

skers

Postby skers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

In the game of law school, either you win or you die.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:14 pm

in the immortal words of jadakiss, "ain't nobody winnin', but everybody can't lose."

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm

do not go to depaul

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 pm

NDIrish2012 wrote:But for real, OP, I feel your pain bro. I'm seriously considering going to BU (provided they give me lots o'monies) over G'Town with $$$$ just because it will give me the chance to *potentially* get back together with my ex.
Retake, get into Harvard, get back together with ex, and make it rain. You're welcome.

mrcrowley429 wrote:Would you go to the best school you applied (Iowa) take the financial hit, and try to be with your first love(which even if it didnt work out you would still have a degree from a top school) and your new friends in a great city you love(iowa city), or would you go home(the best city in the world, Chicago), be with your old friends and family, at a lower ranked school(depaul), but with a little more than 1/3 paid for your schooling?

In my view, it seems like you'd be happy in either Chicago (family, old friends) or Iowa (girlfriend, friends) so those almost seem like a wash. If it were me, I would:
1. Figure out the cost of attendance at each school
2. Do some research
3. Figure out if the difference in cost is worth the better job prospects at Iowa. If so, go to Iowa; if not, go to Depaul.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:In the game of law school, either you win or you die.

YES.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:In the game of law school, either you win or you die.

Posting solely to give this comment some love. :mrgreen:

in2win

Postby in2win » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 pm

How come no o ne here is mentioning how horrible of a school depaul is like people normally do. And op, this is coming from someone who has been there done that, please don't let any woman control what you do. If anything, do whatever will make her more upset with you and possibly never speak to you again. That way you are officially off the hook and free to do whatever with whichever woman you want (assuming you have the ability to pick up new women)

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am

i don't know if depaul is a horrible school but there sure are a lot of better schools in chicago. chicago's COL is high, its winters are cold...and...that's all i have for ya

i don't know a single person who is still with their "first love" or whatever. as bad as you might feel now (though i am starting to suspect this could be a flame), your feelings will pass and you'll move on

the last person who couldn't move on was that girl who wrote all those poems in her room and she died like a couple hundred years ago. traveling 5 miles was a big deal back then. times have changed.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 am

Do you plan on marrying her?
If so, pop the question and go back to Chicago.
If no, go to Iowa

Seriously, if your future with her is most important, then you got to sacrifice your Iowa dream (but get a firm commitment from her first)

In other words, your relationship is at the "fish or cut bait" stage.
Either propose or break up

Return to “Choosing a Law School”