Need help as deadline nears...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
loklamora

Need help as deadline nears...

Postby loklamora » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:32 pm

I know there are a million of these threads but I really would appreciate some input on my specific situation.

I am a Florida native, took one year off working and applied to law school in early January. Retaking is not really an option for personal reasons.

I was accepted into the following schools with accompanying offers:
BU (nothing as of yet)
Cardozo (full ride, no stips)
Emory (67k stips)
Fordham (10k a year, no stips)
Minnesota (67k stips)
WUSTL (75k no stips, missed deposit but emailed them)\

Also: WM (35k a year stips) Illinois (67k) and some Fl schools

Waitlisted at Georgetown, UT, GW

I have ties in Florida as my parents are attorneys but I would like to study in the North East (though I am flexible). I am still waiting on BC. I am hoping they will give me a very good scholly which would make the decision easier. I am not Big Law or bust but I do want some financial and job acquisition security. What do you think is the best option for job security/opportunities weighed against debt load (I will have some help with col but will be paying tuition)? What strategy should I take in negotiating schollys? Is it too late?

Again, any opinions would be helpful. Thanks

MrAnon

Re: Need help as deadline nears...

Postby MrAnon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I say WUSTL because it appears(?) to be cheapest for you and stips are guaranteed. I would consider Emory.

BU with no money is not worth it.

Cardozo with all the money--- I think the overall QOL is poor compared to WUSTL.

Plus at the end of the day you are working in Florida through a parental connection under the worst case scenario.

Forget about wanting to study in the northeast. You have to have a compelling reason for why you want to do that. BU and Cardozo do not form compelling reasons. Georgetown might.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:38 pm

loklamora wrote:I know there are a million of these threads but I really would appreciate some input on my specific situation.

I am a Florida native, took one year off working and applied to law school in early January. Retaking is not really an option for personal reasons.

I was accepted into the following schools with accompanying offers:
BU (nothing as of yet)
Cardozo (full ride, no stips)
Emory (67k stips)
Fordham (10k a year, no stips)
Minnesota (67k stips)
WUSTL (75k no stips, missed deposit but emailed them)\

Also: WM (35k a year stips) Illinois (67k) and some Fl schools

Waitlisted at Georgetown, UT, GW

I have ties in Florida as my parents are attorneys but I would like to study in the North East (though I am flexible). I am still waiting on BC. I am hoping they will give me a very good scholly which would make the decision easier. I am not Big Law or bust but I do want some financial and job acquisition security. What do you think is the best option for job security/opportunities weighed against debt load (I will have some help with col but will be paying tuition)? What strategy should I take in negotiating schollys? Is it too late?

Again, any opinions would be helpful. Thanks

100% Emory...especially if you have Florida ties. Atlanta is a great city, you have a good scholarship, and Emory places really well in the Southeast. I know you want Northeast...but with no money from BU and COL at Fordham..it isn't worth it given your long term goals.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Also vote Emory.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Emory, but damn that is expensive.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I have a question about the stips at Emory. I'm there now, and the only requirement for keeping my scholarship is that I stay in good academic standing (which basically means don't fail out). Is that not the case for you/did they change their scholarship requirements?

loklamora

Postby loklamora » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah I think that the stip is "good standing" so point taken, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for all the reponses so far and keep them coming. In terms of job security v. opportunity how does the emory/Atl choice square off against Fordham/NYC? Anyone have suggestions on how to negotiate for schollys, which schools to play up, who to ask etc? Anything else relevant?

Thanks again

loklamora

Postby loklamora » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm

bump?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 pm

If OP already has connections to the Florida legal market through his/her parents, maybe WUSTL or Cardozo should be considered?

This being said, all of these schools are regional. You pick the school based upon the region that you would like to live and work in after school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”