California Schools - UCLA, USC and Cal

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ethicallawyer

California Schools - UCLA, USC and Cal

Postby ethicallawyer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm

With ASW around the corner for all three of these schools, I thought I'd start a thread for people looking to the West for school... What's your take on Cal vs. UCLA vs. USC? Especially if future employment in SoCal is the main goal. It'd be great if anyone could share research they've done, personal experiences or advice from professionals.

Especially, UCLA and USC seem to be offering generous scholarships. Between the two, what difference can we really expect?

(Of course, Stanford remains the Cali Dream for me but till I hear back its between these three...

Funkycrime

Re: California Schools - UCLA, USC and Cal

Postby Funkycrime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 pm

I've heard from two attorneys I know personally that students from USC and UCLA are struggling to find jobs. One was referring to a family friend at USC and the other UCLA graduates he was interviewing who had been continually coming up empty handed. I had to choose between USC and UCLA for undergrad, and as far as campus I would say UCLA wins hands down. Not only is the architecture beautiful, its also up in the rolling hills near Bel Air. Grad student night life would also be better at UCLA. I don't know anyone from Boalt but as far as employment prospects I would say it is the clear winner.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Here are some stats for the class of 2010 9 months after graduation, removing those that are unemployed/not seeking, unknown (tiny amount), as well as those pursuing other grad degrees:

Cal: FT employed ALL: 92.4% / Unemp-seeking: 3.8% / Clerkships: 9% / Firm job 51+ attorneys: 53.8%

UCLA: FT employed ALL: 79.6% / Unemp-seeking: 1.8% / Clerkships: 8.2% / Firm job 51+ attorneys: 41.2%

USC: FT employed ALL: ???% / Unemp-seeking: 1.7% / Clerkships: 5.5% / Firm job 51+ attorneys: 38.1%

I don't know what the FT bar-passage-required placement is like for UCLA or USC, but at Cal it's 89.9% (better than UCLA's overall full time placement).

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:04 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:With ASW around the corner for all three of these schools, I thought I'd start a thread for people looking to the West for school... What's your take on Cal vs. UCLA vs. USC? Especially if future employment in SoCal is the main goal. It'd be great if anyone could share research they've done, personal experiences or advice from professionals.

Especially, UCLA and USC seem to be offering generous scholarships. Between the two, what difference can we really expect?

(Of course, Stanford remains the Cali Dream for me but till I hear back its between these three...

I'm guessing by Cal, you meant Cal Berkeley? Or Cal Irvine? Either way, I would go with UCLA/USC if you want socal, since they are in that region and have strong alumni networks there.

Between the two, I would go with UCLA because of its UC branding.

ethicallawyer

Postby ethicallawyer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Does UC branding really hold that much clout? I got the impression that the Trojan brand holds far more clout, especially in So Cal... Anyone have any knowledge on UCLA's reputation, alumni networking and job placement in comparison to USC?

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:Anyone have any knowledge on UCLA's reputation, alumni networking and job placement in comparison to USC?

splitbrain wrote:Here are some stats for the class of 2010 9 months after graduation, removing those that are unemployed/not seeking, unknown (tiny amount), as well as those pursuing other grad degrees:

UCLA: FT employed ALL: 79.6% / Unemp-seeking: 1.8% / Clerkships: 8.2% / Firm job 51+ attorneys: 41.2%

USC: FT employed ALL: ???% / Unemp-seeking: 1.7% / Clerkships: 5.5% / Firm job 51+ attorneys: 38.1%
Last edited by splitbrain on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Cal for anywhere in CA, even SoCal. I'd only take UCLA/USC over Cal if the former were substantially cheaper than the latter.

ethicallawyer

Postby ethicallawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:55 am

Was anyone as disappointed by UCLA's admit day as I was? Cal put UCLA to shame for me this past weekend... can't wait for USC on Friday! I hope Cal offers some money though...

Any decisions from others?

norcalChk

Postby norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:Was anyone as disappointed by UCLA's admit day as I was? Cal put UCLA to shame for me this past weekend... can't wait for USC on Friday! I hope Cal offers some money though...

Any decisions from others?

I went to an earlier UCLA Admit Day and, yes, was a little disappointed. Did not RSVP for the USC one, but I already feel that USC is the better option for me. Class size is smaller and more intimate, which is a plus for me. Also, USC offered me more money, and I'm hoping to tap into the Trojan network if I decide to go there.

shbe0701

Postby shbe0701 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:45 am

SupCutie

Postby SupCutie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:07 am

apollo2015 wrote:
ethicallawyer wrote:With ASW around the corner for all three of these schools, I thought I'd start a thread for people looking to the West for school... What's your take on Cal vs. UCLA vs. USC? Especially if future employment in SoCal is the main goal. It'd be great if anyone could share research they've done, personal experiences or advice from professionals.

I'm guessing by Cal, you meant Cal Berkeley? Or Cal Irvine? Either way, I would go with UCLA/USC if you want socal, since they are in that region and have strong alumni networks there.

What the hell is "Cal Irvine"? The only major university known by "Cal" is UC Berkeley. Oh and there is a "UC Irvine" too which also has 'UC branding'.

Cal's rep trumps that of USC and UCLA easily. Schollie money is the make or break criteria; otherwise Cal is probably the right choice. All three schools are very well represented in SoCal.

ethicallawyer wrote:Does UC branding really hold that much clout? I got the impression that the Trojan brand holds far more clout, especially in So Cal... Anyone have any knowledge on UCLA's reputation, alumni networking and job placement in comparison to USC?

Heh. UC branding itself might not mean a whole lot, but UC Berkeley's and UCLA's sure does. They are both more highly regarded than USC... which has (unfairly) the reputation of being a dumping ground for dumb but rich kids. The disparity is even more apparent the further you travel from LA/OC. USC is probably one of the fastest rising schools in the nation, but it will take some time for the reputation to catch up.

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 am

Berkeley is the Stanford of California.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 am

SupCutie wrote:Heh. UC branding itself might not mean a whole lot, but UC Berkeley's and UCLA's sure does. They are both more highly regarded than USC... which has (unfairly) the reputation of being a dumping ground for dumb but rich kids. The disparity is even more apparent the further you travel from LA/OC. USC is probably one of the fastest rising schools in the nation, but it will take some time for the reputation to catch up.

USC and UCLA are peer law schools. Your post consists entirely of stereotypes and other nonsence. Everything you said in the above quote is objectively retarded.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 am

lonerider wrote:Berkeley is the Stanford of California.

Isn't Stanford the Stanford of California?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:35 am

shoeshine wrote:

Boalt is the Stanford of the East Bay!

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 am

Bronck wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Boalt is the Stanford of the East Bay!

That makes more sense.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 am

NYU is the Columbia of the village!

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 am

apollo2015 wrote:I'm guessing by Cal, you meant Cal Berkeley? Or Cal Irvine? Either way, I would go with UCLA/USC if you want socal, since they are in that region and have strong alumni networks there.

Cal = Berkeley, always

WTF does UC branding have to do with legal hiring?

Why are the dumbest people commenting in this thread?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:41 am

chimp wrote:NYU is the Columbia of the village!

UVA is the Duke of Virginia.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:43 am

UCLA is the USC of Westwood!

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:49 am

USD is the Pepperdine of San Diego

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:52 am

Northwestern is the Chicago of...

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 am

thelawyler wrote:Northwestern is the Chicago of...

...Streeterville?

Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 am

Irvine is the UC of...Irvine.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:01 am

NYLS is the NYU of misconception.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”