University of Toronto at Sticker vs UCLA/Vandy $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

University of Toronto
94%
UCLA
No votes
Vandy with $$$
6%

Total votes: 16

fingerscrossedxx

University of Toronto at Sticker vs UCLA/Vandy $$$

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 am

Something about Canada, something about the US :)
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Re: University of Toronto at Sticker vs UCLA/Vandy $$$

Postby flem » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 am

Isn't U of Toronto basically the Harvard of Canada?

If you want to live and work in Canada, it seems like a no-brainer to go to the best school there, especially considering the other info you gave.

If I was international I wouldn't attend law school in the US anywhere other than HYS IF I wanted to return home.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 am

Toronto for Bay Street firms & better quality of professional life. Plus, as an international student, why complicate matters by going to the States with the intention of returning to Canada?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

Why not attend Toronto? I seems like that's the obvious choice here. How much is it at sticker?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 am

International tuition is as high as elite US law schools; OP can get reduced tuition after one year, however.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 am

So I'm hearing U of T is worth it?
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Toronto is worth the extra tuition expense if you want to practice law in Canada (NYC biglaw also recruits at Toronto).

If you want to study law in the US, but return to Canada to practice, then Harvard & Columbia are schools to consider.

OP: Were you offered a scholarship from Osgoode Hall ?

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

something about suffolk...

One of the other options I was toying with was doing a year in the US then transferring to U of T second year but I'm not sure what kind of logistical issues come up with that :/
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Forget Suffolk. Don't enroll at one law school intending to transfer. There are a few dual degree programs offered jointly by Canadian & US law schools which award graduates both US & Canadian law degrees. For example, Houston & Calgary; Colorado & Alberta. Probably best for those seeking a career in oil & gas related law.

Toronto is "the Harvard of Canadian law schools" & probably equates to Michigan or Penn in the US, although its placement & prestige in Canada is equal to that of Harvard in the US.

In my opinion, it would be foolish to attend a US law school if intending to practice law in Canada & accepted to Toronto. Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, Chicago & NYU would be reasonable alternatives for one open to practising in either country, but even international tuition at Toronto is less than tuition at these top 6 US law schools.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm

If you want to live and practice in Canada, I would think that going to Toronto would be your best option here. It looks like the difference is going to amount to around 40-50k total, yes? I wouldn't think that's too much considering the barriers to entry into Canada from a US law school, but that it's a personal decision.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:33 pm

The cost difference might be mitigated by summer work in Canada versus no paying work in the US due to concerns that you might return to Canada.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Forget Suffolk. Don't enroll at one law school intending to transfer. There are a few dual degree programs offered jointly by Canadian & US law schools which award graduates both US & Canadian law degrees. For example, Houston & Calgary; Colorado & Alberta. Probably best for those seeking a career in oil & gas related law.

Toronto is "the Harvard of Canadian law schools" & probably equates to Michigan or Penn in the US, although its placement & prestige in Canada is equal to that of Harvard in the US.

In my opinion, it would be foolish to attend a US law school if intending to practice law in Canada & accepted to Toronto. Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, Chicago & NYU would be reasonable alternatives for one open to practising in either country, but even international tuition at Toronto is less than tuition at these top 6 US law schools.

I thought as much, I just wanted to make sure I seriously considered the alternatives before paying sticker at Canada. But I honestly can't say I would regret the decision to stay in canada.

Thank you SO much for your input CanadianWolf. and everyone else!

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:If you want to live and practice in Canada, I would think that going to Toronto would be your best option here. It looks like the difference is going to amount to around 40-50k total, yes? I wouldn't think that's too much considering the barriers to entry into Canada from a US law school, but that it's a personal decision.

I think 50k in the long run for the type of life I would have in Canada vs the States would be very worth it. Thanks for the input Doorkeeper.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”