NYU$$ possible more vs NU$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or NU

NYU (37.5 guaranteed- 45 if i do pi)
26%
NU (150 guaranteed + one year deferral)
74%

Total votes: 47

t14fanboy

Re: NYU$$ possible more vs NU$$$

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Obvious choice is obvious. Follow the money.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:You also would have to consider that those biglaw years are all 1 year earlier, so time value of money actually plays a pretty big role (considering we are talking about adding a year 1 amount in comparison to a year 5 addition - not a perfect analysis because of raises, but you get the point). But this same thing is also a factor, albet less so, when talking about the 1 year off salary before going to NU.

I'm not really sure that it favors one decision over another, but it is worth thinking about.

I think there's a question of whether someone would stay in biglaw for the same amount of years whether they went now or later. While it seems that in most cases people would stay for the same # of years, if there are family considerations someone might stay a year less if they started a year later (which in that case might then be the comparison between last biglaw salary and the money saved). But since there is a real risk at both schools of not getting biglaw I don't see why you wouldn't frontload your money so you don't have to worry about soulcrushing debt in the case that things don't work out. Or if we look at the other end of the scale, someone who takes a clerkship prior to biglaw will save additional money since they won't have such a large amount of interest accruing while they are making a 60k salary and unable to pay down as much as if they went straight into biglaw.

I agree that it's something to consider but the fact that it's not a guarantee discounts that line of analysis.

haha, and if you're going to start splitting hairs and argue about time value of money, you might as well argue that the economy is likely to continue its recovery, which will mean that OP will possibly enjoy larger salaries and bonuses in biglaw. Will the economy improve enough in the next three years to result in a pay scale bump? Probably not. But it might in four years.

Speaking of economic recovery, what happened to robotclubmember and his apocalyptic predictions of a double dip destroying the legal market? I kinda liked that guy/gal.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm

bk1 wrote:I agree that it's something to consider but the fact that it's not a guarantee discounts that line of analysis.

Agreed. I just wanted to mention it since it hadn't been mentioned yet. It's worth thinking about but there is a lot that goes into these sort of analyses.

I think it's more significant to think about preference of location in this situation.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Obvious choice is obvious. Follow the money.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:23 pm

If your parents are going to give you 100K, I'd probably do NYU. COA at NU will be closer to 75K for three years, even if tuition is free.

But maybe you can convince them to give you the 75K to live on in Chicago if you do go.

The year off should be a good chance to do something you've always wanted to do. Travel, work a cool job, whatever.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:If your parents are going to give you 100K, I'd probably do NYU. COA at NU will be closer to 75K for three years, even if tuition is free.

But maybe you can convince them to give you the 75K to live on in Chicago if you do go.

The year off should be a good chance to do something you've always wanted to do. Travel, work a cool job, whatever.

no go i come from a very tight (religiousish) community and people dont generally leave NY which is why their offering me money to stay.

that said i think what chasgoose said is right nyu is worth 50-75 more lets see if NYU would get me into that range post appeal if not i think my decision is semi made maybe lol.

Thanks for all your help

Return to “Choosing a Law School”