NU vs. Cornell vs. Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU (45k) vs. Duke (67.5k) vs. Cornell (75k)

Northwestern
26%
Duke
33%
Cornell
41%

Total votes: 73

Re: NU vs. Cornell vs. Duke

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Also, if you've never left CA, NYC firms are going to wonder if you really would go to NYC. I'm not sure if going to Cornell would change that or not. But it is something to consider.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Also, if you've never left CA, NYC firms are going to wonder if you really would go to NYC. I'm not sure if going to Cornell would change that or not. But it is something to consider.

What about splitting in OCI between CA and Chicago firms? Bad idea if you've lived all your life in CA?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Also, if you've never left CA, NYC firms are going to wonder if you really would go to NYC. I'm not sure if going to Cornell would change that or not. But it is something to consider.

What about splitting in OCI between CA and Chicago firms? Bad idea if you've lived all your life in CA?

It's just not practical for bidding. You'll get like 5-6 firms in each market at best. Most chicago and CA firms fill up at bid 10-12. If you absolutely kill it gradeswise it might be worth bidding K&E, Sidley and Mayer, then the rest CA. But most Chicago firms class sizes are small and you have to bid a lot of firms to have a good chance of getting anything.

You can't summer at both. I'd really pick before OCI.

Though, since you are a woman, you can do the Chicago Bar Diversity Fair. Which is a preselect job fair. All the big chicago firms go. It's a way to get interviews at firms who are interested in you without wasting any bids at OCI. IMO use that to try Chicago.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

It's just not practical for bidding. You'll get like 5-6 firms in each market at best. Most chicago and CA firms fill up at bid 10-12. If you absolutely kill it gradeswise it might be worth bidding K&E, Sidley and Mayer, then the rest CA. But most Chicago firms class sizes are small and you have to bid a lot of firms to have a good chance of getting anything.

Though, since you are a woman, you can do the Chicago Bar Diversity Fair. Which is a preselect job fair. All the big chicago firms go. It's a way to get interviews at firms who are interested in you without wasting any bids at OCI. IMO use that to try Chicago.

This is great advice, thanks DF (I'm going to PM you really quick, if you don't mind). Hopefully it was useful to cactuar too and I didn't derail the thread too much. :mrgreen:

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

This is great advice, thanks DF (I'm going to PM you really quick, if you don't mind). Hopefully it was useful to cactuar too and I didn't derail the thread too much. :mrgreen:

All very useful (except for me not being a woman). Not a derailment at all!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Though, since you are a woman, you can do the Chicago Bar Diversity Fair. Which is a preselect job fair. All the big chicago firms go. It's a way to get interviews at firms who are interested in you without wasting any bids at OCI. IMO use that to try Chicago.

She'll also get the Bay Area Diversity Fair in addition to the CCBA.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Though, since you are a woman, you can do the Chicago Bar Diversity Fair. Which is a preselect job fair. All the big chicago firms go. It's a way to get interviews at firms who are interested in you without wasting any bids at OCI. IMO use that to try Chicago.

She'll also get the Bay Area Diversity Fair in addition to the CCBA.

What's the CCBA? Also, bookmarking this thread for future reference :P

Return to “Choosing a Law School”