NU vs. Cornell vs. Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU (45k) vs. Duke (67.5k) vs. Cornell (75k)

Northwestern
26%
Duke
33%
Cornell
41%

Total votes: 73

JasonR

Re: NU vs. Cornell vs. Duke

Postby JasonR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:12 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Should this $15-$30k difference really impact my decision at all?

If you can see yourself being significantly happier at one school over another, which means you would probably be a better student there, that would be more important than the $15-30K difference.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 pm

whitman wrote:Just FYI, Cornell and Northwestern and ridiculously expensive to begin with. Most people are probably voting Cornell based on the higher scholarship number. However, Duke is the cheapest of the lot here.

I vote Duke.

Duke COA is 70,770. Cornell COA is 74680. They're basically equal cost with the slightly larger scholarship from Cornell.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:17 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Northwestern
Pros: Older, more experienced student body (i'm an older student as well); focus on practical education (based on their Plan 2008); downtown Chicago location
Cons: Shittier social scene due to older student body (supposedly); higher COL

I will be at NU, we can hang out.

/decision.

:lol: JK JK, seriously though, from what I've seen/heard about NU, there really aren't many issues RE: the social scene. I think it's more of a you-create-your-own social scene since we don't, for example, have a huge LS frat house like Ann Arbor does. But as long as you know how to call a friend up or show up to bar review, I doubt that the social scene is that bad. I mean, you'll be living in Chicago!

Also, there's plenty of younger people with WE - I mean, I'm only 22, for example, and I'm sure there's a bunch of other people in similar situations (22/23 year olds with a year of WE at NU).

Anyway, I do think NU is a good choice for you because of your ranking of Chicago & NYC as your markets of choice.

Just saw all the talk about dinner clubs on the NU thread. I'm thinking more and more that the perception of NU students as somehow less available to hang out with is complete bullshit.

Thanks guys! Hopefully see most of you at ASW!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:18 pm

whitman wrote:Just FYI, Cornell and Northwestern and ridiculously expensive to begin with. Most people are probably voting Cornell based on the higher scholarship number. However, Duke is the cheapest of the lot here.

I vote Duke.

Not sure Duke is cheapest, but even assuming it saves him a few grand, Cornell is still credited here. OP specifically said he wants biglaw in NY or Chicago. Cornell's better placement makes it worth the hit of what can't be more than maybe five grand.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Honestly, this decision seems much more difficult than people are making it out to be. And I really do think there's something to be said for attending a school and living in a city that you really want to attend/live in, rather than just "toughing it out" for three years. If you actually hate Ithaca, for example, then those 3 years are going to be hell. And that could be a big hit on your quality of life, which probably isn't going to be fantastic to begin with. Nevermind what being miserable may do to your grades.

I guess from that perspective, then, I'd probably cross Cornell off the list. You seem to have a more casual dislike of Durham, but a stronger opposition to Ithaca. With no discernible difference between Duke and Cornell in placement, $7k isn't enough to justify "trading down" in quality of life.

So then we have a choice between Northwestern (a more ideal fit in terms of quality of life), and Duke ($27k cheaper). And that's a more difficult decision, based on your personal preferences and the value you place on living in Chicago (as opposed to Durham). If it were me, I'd probably go Northwestern, but your results may vary.

(And as an aside, the argument that Northwestern "opens up" Chicago is a bad argument. OP doesn't have a preference between NYC and Chicago, and NU and Duke have roughly equal placement power. So OP has a roughly equal chance of getting a biglaw job in one of his desired cities from either school.)

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:21 pm

beachbum wrote:(And as an aside, the argument that Northwestern "opens up" Chicago is a bad argument. OP doesn't have a preference between NYC and Chicago, and NU and Duke have roughly equal placement power. So OP has a roughly equal chance of getting a biglaw job in one of his desired cities from either school.)

I get what you're saying, but Northwestern placement into Chicago simply doesn't compare to Duke's. There are a whole class of opportunities in Chicago uniquely available to NU and UChi students, while in NYC Duke and NU are on equal footing. If the two markets were NYC and any other city, Duke might be worth the savings, but since the other city is Chicago, we're talking a different story.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Samara wrote:
beachbum wrote:(And as an aside, the argument that Northwestern "opens up" Chicago is a bad argument. OP doesn't have a preference between NYC and Chicago, and NU and Duke have roughly equal placement power. So OP has a roughly equal chance of getting a biglaw job in one of his desired cities from either school.)

I get what you're saying, but Northwestern placement into Chicago simply doesn't compare to Duke's. There are a whole class of opportunities in Chicago uniquely available to NU and UChi students, while in NYC Duke and NU are on equal footing. If the two markets were NYC and any other city, Duke might be worth the savings, but since the other city is Chicago, we're talking a different story.

Sure, and that would probably make a big difference if OP had a preference for Chicago over NYC. But he doesn't, at least as far as I can tell. So if, say, V100 firms in major markets take the top 50% of both Duke and NU, and Duke places in NYC while NU places in NYC and Chicago, it doesn't make a difference to OP. If you're in the top half at either school, you're in good shape for an SA (there are enough SAs to go around, especially in NYC); if you're in the bottom half of either school, it's time to start thinking about your alternatives. The fact that OP might end up in Chicago rather than NYC from Northwestern doesn't seem significant.

(And things are further diluted when we factor in the bay area, but the general argument remains the same).

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Samara wrote:

what kind of opportunities are you referring to here? don't mean to put you on the spot Samara, but any info you have on specific employment opportunities out of NU is super valuable

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:34 pm

beachbum wrote:
Samara wrote:

Sure, and that would probably make a big difference if OP had a preference for Chicago over NYC. But he doesn't, at least as far as I can tell. So if, say, V100 firms in major markets take the top 50% of both Duke and NU, and Duke places in NYC while NU places in NYC and Chicago, it doesn't make a difference to OP. If you're in the top half at either school, you're in good shape for an SA (there are enough SAs to go around, especially in NYC); if you're in the bottom half of either school, it's time to start thinking about your alternatives. The fact that OP might end up in Chicago rather than NYC from Northwestern doesn't seem significant.

(And things are further diluted when we factor in the bay area, but the general argument remains the same).

How is it not significant? If there are 100 job opportunities available in NYC to median+ students from NU and Duke and 75 available in Chicago to median+ NU students, but only 50 to median+ Duke students, the total pool of jobs from NU is 175 compared to 150 for Duke. There's a bigger safety net of the type of jobs that OP wants.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Samara wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Samara wrote:

How is it not significant? If there are 100 job opportunities available in NYC to median+ students from NU and Duke and 75 available in Chicago to median+ NU students, but only 50 to median+ Duke students, the total pool of jobs from NU is 175 compared to 150 for Duke. There's a bigger safety net of the type of jobs that OP wants.

That's not how firm hiring works.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:37 pm

beachbum wrote:Honestly, this decision seems much more difficult than people are making it out to be. And I really do think there's something to be said for attending a school and living in a city that you really want to attend/live in, rather than just "toughing it out" for three years. If you actually hate Ithaca, for example, then those 3 years are going to be hell. And that could be a big hit on your quality of life, which probably isn't going to be fantastic to begin with. Nevermind what being miserable may do to your grades.

I guess from that perspective, then, I'd probably cross Cornell off the list. You seem to have a more casual dislike of Durham, but a stronger opposition to Ithaca. With no discernible difference between Duke and Cornell in placement, $7k isn't enough to justify "trading down" in quality of life.

Well first of all, let's get this straight. For NYC biglaw, Cornell > Duke/NU. For Chicago biglaw, NU > Cornell/Duke.

This is why I'd still cross-off Duke. Even keeping it on, I'm not sure OP would necessarily like Durham more than Ithaca. I got the impression that OP was just listing Ithaca as being "terrible" for purposes of providing a CON on the PRO/CON list. Few people are really going to argue that Durham is far and away a better place than Ithaca. And many would argue that Ithaca has the edge for being a trendier more happening little place with natural beauty to boot.

To the extent that I'm wrong and OP really has that much of a dislike for Ithaca, then I agree with beachbum's sentiments (regarding steering clear of Cornell), and I'd suggest NU.

OP - visit Ithaca? Could you see yourself there? If so, go to Cornell... it's going to give you the biggest bang for your buck.
Last edited by woeisme on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Honestly, I'd go with Cornell or Duke, but no real big diff between all three given your career goals.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
Samara wrote:

what kind of opportunities are you referring to here? don't mean to put you on the spot Samara, but any info you have on specific employment opportunities out of NU is super valuable

I don't have numbers, but in talking to the career services people I realized that there are local opportunities in Chicago that simply aren't available to students from NU's peer schools. I know boutiques don't get a lot of discussion around here, but there are local Chicago boutiques that are highly regarded in Chambers rankings and pay biglaw market or close to it. There aren't many of those positions, but it does open up the employment pool a little bit.

I've also gotten the impression that Chicago-based biglaw firms treat NU more on the level of MVP or even CCN than DNCG. I don't know how accurate that is and some of my info is from biased sources, but I get that feel. Also, I think it's easier to network for Chicago-based positions for 1L summer or if you strike out at OCI, if you live and attend school in the city. (I have some personal experience with this, PM for details.)

The potential downside is that a lot of these benefits don't translate outside of the Chicago market. For example, a Chicago boutique firm might give you comparable exit options to biglaw into the Chicago market, but probably not into other markets, especially outside of the Midwest. So, if you want to start in Chicago and relocate down the road, those benefits don't really apply. But all taken together, since Chicago is a top choice for you, I think you would have a stronger safety net at NU. At the end of the day, it's all about managing risk, right?

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but upper midwest winters are depressing and miserable. If you care at all about weather, don't subject yourself to that, especially during law school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:00 pm

I both agree and disagree with beachbum on this one.

Agree - looking at it from a 0L perspective it's not important. NYC is easier to get for students from all these schools and if grades are mediocre it makes sense that someone from NU would go all in on NYC at OCI rather than splitting NYC/Chi making NU's Chi placement irrelevant.

Disagree - but in the end it actually does matter in certain cases. If OP does actually do well and has the opportunity to split between NYC/Chi NU will open up opportunities that Duke does not. Maybe OP gets to OCI and loathes K&E NYC but loves K&E Chi. At the top end OP gets exposed to more opportunities for firm offices that OP might prefer to other offices that NU gets OP access to that Duke does not.

I don't think this is a big factor since (1) biglaw is biglaw, and (2) there is no shortcoming of NYC firms to choose from, but it is something to think about.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm

bk1 wrote:I both agree and disagree with beachbum on this one.

Agree - looking at it from a 0L perspective it's not important. NYC is easier to get for students from all these schools and if grades are mediocre it makes sense that someone from NU would go all in on NYC at OCI rather than splitting NYC/Chi making NU's Chi placement irrelevant.

Disagree - but in the end it actually does matter in certain cases. If OP does actually do well and has the opportunity to split between NYC/Chi NU will open up opportunities that Duke does not. Maybe OP gets to OCI and loathes K&E NYC but loves K&E Chi. At the top end OP gets exposed to more opportunities for firm offices that OP might prefer to other offices that NU gets OP access to that Duke does not.

I don't think this is a big factor since (1) biglaw is biglaw, and (2) there is no shortcoming of NYC firms to choose from, but it is something to think about.

Thank you for articulating my point much better than I did.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:23 pm

woeisme wrote:Well first of all, let's get this straight. For NYC biglaw, Cornell > Duke/NU. For Chicago biglaw, NU > Cornell/Duke.

This is why I'd still cross-off Duke. Even keeping it on, I'm not sure OP would necessarily like Durham more than Ithaca. I got the impression that OP was just listing Ithaca as being "terrible" for purposes of providing a CON on the PRO/CON list. Few people are really going to argue that Durham is far and away a better place than Ithaca. And many would argue that Ithaca has the edge for being a trendier more happening little place with natural beauty to boot.

To the extent that I'm wrong and OP really has that much of a dislike for Ithaca, then I agree with beachbum's sentiments (regarding steering clear of Cornell), and I'd suggest NU.

Unless you can actually produce evidence that NYC firms favor Cornell students over Duke students, I'm gonna have to call bullshit. The schools have roughly equal NLJ+A3 placement power (I actually did a direct comparison with the data in another thread, though I can't remember which thread it was), and both schools send a large percentage of the class to NYC. And all anecdotal evidence I've heard is that firms look at them as equals.

Also, maybe I missed this in the thread somewhere (I admittedly skimmed most of it), but I'm working on the assumption that what OP wrote in the first post is what OP actually thinks. So I'm working on the assumption that OP hates Ithaca, and has a mild dislike for Durham. And this certainly seems reasonable to me; I'm fine living in Durham, but I would blow my brains out if I was forced to live in Ithaca for three years. To each his own, though.

bk1 wrote:Disagree - but in the end it actually does matter in certain cases. If OP does actually do well and has the opportunity to split between NYC/Chi NU will open up opportunities that Duke does not. Maybe OP gets to OCI and loathes K&E NYC but loves K&E Chi. At the top end OP gets exposed to more opportunities for firm offices that OP might prefer to other offices that NU gets OP access to that Duke does not.

Sure, and I guess that's something you could take into consideration, though it seems awfully speculative. Like you said, there are a ton of firm in NYC - chances are that OP will find one he likes. And then there's always Cali (I'm assuming OP has ties), if OP wants to compare cultures.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Beachbum is right in that yes, I do have a strong dislike of Ithaca (small, middle of nowhere, cold as hell) and only have a passing dislike of Durham (just small and I would need a car).

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions that attending any of these schools and incurring about 60-100K worth of debt would be a bad idea?

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 pm

If you truly hate Ithaca go to NU or Duke.

Honestly, anyone here telling you that one choice or the other is objectively a much stronger choice is lying out of their ass.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:44 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions that attending any of these schools and incurring about 60-100K worth of debt would be a bad idea?

All else equal, no. I think all three are worth $100k in debt (and even more than that, if we're being honest). The placement power between these three schools is pretty much the same; the big differences (for you, anyway) are in COA and QOL.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Assuming OP is median at his school, NU won't give him a decent shot at Chicago unless Chicago biglaw starts hiring at levels levels much higher than they are now. Unless the OP is from the midwest and hasn't told us. Just going to NU is only a half-way decent tie to chicago. And without good grades he just won't get offers from Chicago. And at OCI you really have to choose Chicago bids or NYC bids. You can't do both, and you certainly can't do mostly one, and another as back up.

I'm assuming Duke places just as well as NU does nationwide. It'll be somewhat cheaper. I'd go there. Unless you want to go to NU for other reasons. The social scene imo is better at NU than a college town. People realized how shitty adult life was, and really want to have their last three years of fun. People aren't "clique"ish at all. But the kind of partying we do is fairly different than undergrad. Usually it's smaller parties as a pregame, then out to a bar. There really aren't house parties because nobody has a house.

@ OP - NYC, Chicago, Bay Area, or Socal? Shit man, you have to pick eventually. Pick now. You don't wanna decide next summer that you are doing NYC, and they wish you had done Cornhell. Unless you are from Chicagoland you aren't getting chicago. And you aren't getting bay area or socal unless you are from CA, esp you go to a east coast or midwest school. I bet you should just assume NYC and bite the SUNY-Ithaca bullet.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Assuming OP is median at his school, NU won't give him a decent shot at Chicago unless Chicago biglaw starts hiring at levels levels much higher than they are now. Unless the OP is from the midwest and hasn't told us. Just going to NU is only a half-way decent tie to chicago. And without good grades he just won't get offers from Chicago. And at OCI you really have to choose Chicago bids or NYC bids. You can't do both, and you certainly can't do mostly one, and another as back up.

I'm assuming Duke places just as well as NU does nationwide. It'll be somewhat cheaper. I'd go there. Unless you want to go to NU for other reasons. The social scene imo is better at NU than a college town. People realized how shitty adult life was, and really want to have their last three years of fun. People aren't "clique"ish at all. But the kind of partying we do is fairly different than undergrad. Usually it's smaller parties as a pregame, then out to a bar. There really aren't house parties because nobody has a house.

@ OP - NYC, Chicago, Bay Area, or Socal? Shit man, you have to pick eventually. Pick now. You don't wanna decide next summer that you are doing NYC, and they wish you had done Cornhell. Unless you are from Chicagoland you aren't getting chicago. And you aren't getting bay area or socal unless you are from CA, esp you go to a east coast or midwest school. I bet you should just assume NYC and bite the SUNY-Ithaca bullet.

Sorry I didn't specify before. I am from CA (grew up in LA and went to school/worked in the bay area for 6-7 years).

You're telling me that you can't bid for some NY firms and some Chicago firms during OCI? I honestly don't know much about OCI but at least during OCS for business school, I was able to interview for companies in many different locations. Seems kind of strange that they would only let you interview for firms in one market and one market only...

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Beachbum is right in that yes, I do have a strong dislike of Ithaca (small, middle of nowhere, cold as hell) and only have a passing dislike of Durham (just small and I would need a car).

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions that attending any of these schools and incurring about 60-100K worth of debt would be a bad idea?

I'm not sure why you'd apply if its location was such a deal breaker. As a number of people have pointed out (and as the poll results suggest), Cornell is the objectively credited pick here. If you want to pick another school for subjective reasons that is totally cool and respectable (cause all three options are good). But it's difficult to give advice when the decision is going to turn on personal preference; you've gotta make that call.
Last edited by woeisme on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:04 pm

woeisme wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Beachbum is right in that yes, I do have a strong dislike of Ithaca (small, middle of nowhere, cold as hell) and only have a passing dislike of Durham (just small and I would need a car).

I'm not sure why you'd apply if its location was such a deal breaker. As a number of people have pointed out (and as the poll results suggest), Cornell is the objectively credited pick here. If you want to pick another school for subjective reasons that is totally cool and respectable (cause all three options are good). But its diffucult to give advice when the decision is going to turn on personal preference; you've gotta make that call.

Applied before I knew how terrible Ithaca is. Also, I didn't want to leave out any T14 options in case I got shut out this cycle

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Assuming OP is median at his school, NU won't give him a decent shot at Chicago unless Chicago biglaw starts hiring at levels levels much higher than they are now. Unless the OP is from the midwest and hasn't told us. Just going to NU is only a half-way decent tie to chicago. And without good grades he just won't get offers from Chicago. And at OCI you really have to choose Chicago bids or NYC bids. You can't do both, and you certainly can't do mostly one, and another as back up.

Sorry I didn't specify before. I am from CA (grew up in LA and went to school/worked in the bay area for 6-7 years).

You're telling me that you can't bid for some NY firms and some Chicago firms during OCI? I honestly don't know much about OCI but at least during OCS for business school, I was able to interview for companies in many different locations. Seems kind of strange that they would only let you interview for firms in one market and one market only...

You are allowed to but there are only a limited number of interview spots. You can bid on 50 firms, but you are only going to get 12-15ish interviews. And the NYC, Chicago, CA firms all go first. And easier firms go really quick. Getting 3 Chicago, 3 NYC, 3 Socal and 3 Bay Area would be a disaster for your OCI chances. You want to get a large spread of firms. Some selective, some normal, some unselective.

Northwestern does have a Bay Area and Socal "off campus interview program" where you fly to CA and interview there. But most of the good firms come to Chicago. So you can do NYC and do some off campus (which don't count toward regular OCI).

If you do mostly NYC and put 1 or 2 Chicago, that is fine, but kind of a waste.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”