USC($) vs BU($) vs Wake($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC (25/yr)
41%
BU (25/yr)
23%
WF (Full tuition, plus books, plus stipend)
36%

Total votes: 22

rogerstan

Postby rogerstan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

:oops: I thought I had reached a decision.
I was going to take a financial hit and graduate with $150k in debt from USC because the job prospects and Trojan Network seem like they'll pay off, and I'd like to live in NorCal someday, but got rejected from Berkeley :? . Then Wake threw a curve ball with an insane scholarship, not sure yet how much the stipend is for, but my total debt will be negligable, but so might my job prospects (and will i be stuck in western NC?!?). BU is in the picture because it was originally between BU (graduating with prolly 100k debt) and USC, as background I'm from Philly (got into Temple and Villanova with scholly's, full tuition to Nova, but I visited and kinda felt like it sucked), no networks in any of the areas of the schools on the list. Boston maybe a connection or two but nothing significant.
Just looking for the wisdom of the all mighty crowd and flames. Bring it!

Blindmelon

Re: USC($) vs BU($) vs Wake($$$$)

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Since you want Cal, no brainer USC. If you want to go back to philly, however, then no brainer BU. I don't think Wake should be a consideration as its a NC school.

T00L

Postby T00L » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Tautology of the day: Free plus stipend = Free plus stipend

rogerstan

Postby rogerstan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks to the voters. It looks like everyone is splitting in the same way I feel split.

How about this angle.
Is $150k debt from USC a bad idea?

T00L

Postby T00L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 pm

rogerstan wrote:Thanks to the voters. It looks like everyone is splitting in the same way I feel split.

How about this angle.
Is $150k debt from USC a bad idea?

Doesn't it suck that USC can give you 25k/y and you can still end up 150k in debt? (I'm in the same boat there, btw.)

And I wouldn't say its a BAD idea, but definitely one not to be taken lightly or as a safe thing

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 pm

rogerstan wrote:Is $150k debt from USC a bad idea?

Yup.

rogerstan

Postby rogerstan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Ok, another angle.
What are people's thoughts on career prospects coming out of WF with negligible debt (or anywhere similar, ASU, U Colo.) and therefore more freedom to search and hustle for what I want. I think my number one priority coming out of school is options... options to work Big Law or PI, options to work West Coast or East Coast. I guess maybe a lot of people want options, or maybe only T-14 give you that. It seems to me like USC can give options afterward - not hand you options - but you can make them (and I think it'll be harder with $150k weighing you down). I think WF isn't going to give me many options even if I hustle, even with no debt.

Thoughts?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”