Need Help Deciding

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
t14fanboy

Re: Need Help Deciding

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:15 am

Notre Dame. Gotta love leprechauns.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 am

How do you know the firms they mentioned were biglaw? Are you that familiar with law firm names that you would recognize them? did they say "I got biglaw" or "I got a nice firm job"?[/quote]

Peoples answered varied...some were names that I recognized...some said specifically biglaw jobs...some said national firms with x amount of people ....so different answers but they were all "biglaw" jobs

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
quoting isn't that hard, learn how to do it wrote:How do you know the firms they mentioned were biglaw? Are you that familiar with law firm names that you would recognize them? did they say "I got biglaw" or "I got a nice firm job"?

Peoples answered varied...some were names that I recognized...some said specifically biglaw jobs...some said national firms with x amount of people ....so different answers but they were all "biglaw" jobs

You know about the NLJ 250 Go-To Law Schools data, right? Sure, you should put stock in conversations with current students, but you shouldn't view that as trumping the NLJ data over the past 3 years or so. If you want an NLJ firm, your odds are 20-25% or less from any of these schools. If you want true NYC/DC biglaw (like the Vault firms) we're talking 5%, maybe 10% max.

I know law students generally aren't good at math, but we're talking pretty basic probabilities here.

plaiseadieu

Postby plaiseadieu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Wow...I'm so glad I found this thread...

Mcdeeremitch, this website is helpful in seeing which employers recruit at different law schools.

--LinkRemoved--

You can actually highlight a particular law school and see which employers have listed that they perform campus interviews at the school. This website has data from 2011-2012 up.

Please, highlight the different schools you are considering and highlight the employer type you are interested in and see which employers recruit at the particular school and how many employers recruit at that particular school.

I hope this helps to bring perspective to your decision.

I don't know much about Notre Dame, so I can't help out there. My boss at my old job graduated from W&L, if you are interested in her experience as she relayed it to me, PM me. As for Howard, that is where I will be going this fall. I went to ASD and I will be happy to share my experience with you via PM.

Good luck!!

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 pm

OP, have you considered retaking and would you be happy doing it?

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:so anyone with first hand knowledge or that knows someone or just actually knows what their talking about and not relying completely on numbers I would love to hear your thoughs.

So...you want anecdotal evidence over statistical evidence..? I am confused.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Tom Joad wrote:OP, have you considered retaking and would you be happy doing it?

Don't be annoying.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm

splitbrain wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:so anyone with first hand knowledge or that knows someone or just actually knows what their talking about and not relying completely on numbers I would love to hear your thoughs.

Only in the sense that statistical evidence doesn't tend to tell the whole stor sometimes

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Dany wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:OP, have you considered retaking and would you be happy doing it?

Don't be annoying.

Duly noted.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:39 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Only in the sense that statistical evidence doesn't tend to tell the whole stor sometimes

No, it just doesn't tell the story you want.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:06 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Avoiding the truth you don't care to hear doesn't make it any less true. In what possible way could statistical evidence fail to tell "the whole story" here? In what possible way is anecdotal evidence going to be more useful, other than as something that might make you feel good?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:31 am

mcdeeremitch wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Lolwut

Return to “Choosing a Law School”